Author Topic: '96 XJR1200 cam chain tensioner help?.  (Read 4505 times)

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
'96 XJR1200 cam chain tensioner help?.
« on: April 08, 2007, 04:56:18 am »
ok guys, i need some help, if this was a SOHC/4 i would be right, but... its not so here goes.... i bought a xjr1200 recently, and its got majorly big balls, and i am happy, have modified the exhausts, so it now sounds like a 1200, and modified the air box so it sorta now breaths like a 1200... but it gets a rattle up at about 4000rpm, not below... not above just around 4.... now it has a spring type tensioner, and my manual doesnt say weather these things are prone to getting loose, can some one tell me weather it is common for these to get loose?, i know the motor is the same as the FJ1200, and will be noisy b/c its air cooled, ... any help would be greatly appreciated...

peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
Re: '96 XJR1200 cam chain tensioner help?.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 03:53:49 pm »

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 04:14:09 pm »
ok guys, i need some help, if this was a SOHC/4 i would be right, but... its not so here goes.... i bought a xjr1200 recently, and its got majorly big balls, and i am happy, have modified the exhausts, so it now sounds like a 1200, and modified the air box so it sorta now breaths like a 1200... but it gets a rattle up at about 4000rpm, not below... not above just around 4.... now it has a spring type tensioner, and my manual doesnt say weather these things are prone to getting loose, can some one tell me weather it is common for these to get loose?, i know the motor is the same as the FJ1200, and will be noisy b/c its air cooled, ... any help would be greatly appreciated...

peace
I have owned an FJ1200 for 20 years. The cam chain tensioner is very reliable in general. The only problem I've had is having the rubber tip attached to the tensioner rod partially disintegrate. Mine is currently 1314cc and over 150HP...before the nitrous shot. ;) Ben...what is the fork diameter on your bike???? 41mm or larger. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 04:16:41 pm by MRieck »
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 05:43:43 pm »
hey ben

give this dude a call -
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Manuals-magazines/auction-93321447.htm

might be a cheap fix

yeah i have that manual, but its really vague, and doesnt really talk about them much.

MRieck

mine are 41mm, why do you ask, its a japanese model, so has the full adjustable front, and ohlins rear, also brembo's.... so should i worryy about the noise or not.... thanx for the replies guys..

peace
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 06:41:10 pm »
Did it do the same before you modified the air box and exhaust?
If you dyno it you'll see you have caused a major problem at 4,000 rpm which is actually quite difficult to fix.
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 07:20:02 pm »
na did it b4, though b/c the bike is louder, i didnt hear it as much.. :P... the noise is deffinatly the tensioner, i just didnt want to have to pull the bloody thing out, will give it an oil and filter change, and see if that makes a difference... i dunno when the PO did it last.... and i know that it was an indicator on the cbr when the oil was shot, in the city i would have to change the oil every 3000km.. thanks for the help guys... i am also looking for a set of FJ intake manifolds... they have a bigger ID, and are ment to make a pretty good defference, and i now where i can get a dynojet kit from... so might just cahnge the oil, and pull the tensioner out, check the valves, and sync the carbs and see how it goes after that...

thanks guys, if you think of anything else i should look at let me know...

peace

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 05:12:12 am »
hey ben

give this dude a call -
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Manuals-magazines/auction-93321447.htm

might be a cheap fix

yeah i have that manual, but its really vague, and doesnt really talk about them much.

MRieck

mine are 41mm, why do you ask, its a japanese model, so has the full adjustable front, and ohlins rear, also brembo's.... so should i worryy about the noise or not.... thanx for the replies guys..

peace
I'd do the full tune as you said. I'd pull the valve cover and look around also. That tensioner is under a good amount of pressure and the ratcheting mechanism is pretty positive and secure. The generator/starter on that engine is connected via HyVo to the crank. If the blade is worn it will make noise too though I have only seen that once on a high mileage FJ1100. Once again, do a full tune up with valve adjustment and start there. The problems with the FJ engine are they run hot and the clutch is weak. Also the transmissions aren't the greatest until they are under cut. It is overbuilt in many areas and is generally bulletproof.
   The reason I ask about the forks is I want to change to the late model set up with 17" front. It seems impossible to find both fork outer tubes (discontinued though I found one in Europe via CMSNL). Would you be willing to send some closeup pics of the forks to give me an idea as to whether or not they'll work? My email address is listed in my personal info.
  Thanks
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 02:51:58 pm »
cool mate, will give it a try...  will look into the other areas you mentioned..... thanx for the time..

peace