Author Topic: How to Check for Rocker Shaft Wear?  (Read 10122 times)

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
Re: How to Check for Rocker Shaft Wear?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 01:44:02 am »
Hey Dave. I've had a lock at the shafts and cover, and it doesn't have the pinned shafts. I was just wondering about the earlier comments in this thread about adding extra o-rings onto the end covers to prevent wear happening on these older style ones? Have you done this on yours at all?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 02:12:37 am »
no,im not convinced that under heat and high pressure they'll stop them moving,might at first but they'll flatten and go hard?also no point in doing it to already worn ones?grub screw sounds good.

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 02:23:23 am »
Yeah, true. As far as I can tell, my ones haven't worn yet, but I'm always keen for preventative maintenance.
Grub screw could work, if there's enough room there to drill and tap a hole from the top, and stop the shaft from being able to move upwards. Might do some investigating over the weekend.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 02:33:21 am »
try o rings,it cant hurt.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 12:55:38 pm »
how about if you remove the two shafts and turn those extraction threads face to face,then using a length of thread and locktight screw them together,then the rocker will have more load to try and rotate as it now has to try and turn both shafts and also the other rocker will have an effect of counter rotation in its action against the pair of joined shafts?the thread needs to be long enough to space the shafts as they were,youll need a good magnet now to remove them again.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 02:06:32 pm »
I understand the idea.  But, the threads in the shafts are for extraction purposes.  If they are joined face to face using those extraction threads, it might be a challenge to get them out later.  Perhaps just buying the later model shafts would accomplish what you are after.

I've done the oring "solution" upon the recommendation of Mike Nixon.  They are stuffed between the end plug and the outer shaft, applying lateral pressure to both.  The theory is that the rockers will turn easily on the shaft and it doesn't take much to force that instead of the whole shaft turning.

I didn't have 10,000 miles on the one with that oring mod (and a brand new old style cover).  And the bike is now in new hands. So, I can't say if practice lives up to theory.

As mentioned, the pressure point oring add on, shouldn't hurt anything.  But, I'm very skeptical that it would have a miracle effect on an already worn valve cover, now out of proper tolerances to hold the shaft in proper geometry.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 01:45:06 pm »
how about the shafts turned and screwed together and use the oring at the same time?

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 03:21:09 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.
I see some of the 500 models also had the longer shafts, yet they are unpinned. From everything I've seen these shafts and rocker arms would be the same as the 550's, is this the case? I saw a set I might grab.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 09:07:44 am »
All the 500 and 550 parts from head gasket upwards are interchangeable mate
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!