Author Topic: Removing VIN plates  (Read 7027 times)

liaudio

Removing VIN plates
« on: April 14, 2007, 02:18:14 am »
I have a really nice K5 and an absolutely beautiful, low-mileaged K6.  The K5 is registered, the K6 I just got is not.  I was wondering if anyone had easily removed the VIN plate off of a frame.  Being that almost everything on the K6 is near perfect, shiny, and runs and drives superbly, I would rather switch the VIN plates than swap everything over to my K5. 

Before I get flamed, I own both bikes and am not looking to hide anything or deceive anyone of anything.  I just don't want to have to register and insure the K6 since they are almost identical other than color. 

I looks like there is only 2 rivets holding the plate on to the frame tube.  Can I just drill out the rivets and reapply the plates securely using double-sided tape? 

Then I can ride the 76 as if nothing had changed and sell the K5. 

Any ideas, comments or suggestions?

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
Re: Removing VIN plates
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 02:29:53 am »
If you did that then you would still have confusion because the frame number is stamped into the headstock of your bikes, you would end up with 2 sets of numbers on your k6 & if you sold the k5 then that would have the same number on its frame  ???, thats what we in the uk would call a Ringer :o,   cheers mick.
Honda CB750 KO 1970,   Honda VTX 1300 2006, Lancaster England.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 02:32:50 am »
Seeing as how we both live in NY here is my two cents:

The vin plate is not the only vin on the frame. There is a stamped vin also, which makes this a very bad idea. If you get stopped by a cop (probably at one of the many lovely motorcycle roadblocks they have here) and he notices the stamped vin on the frame (which is just below the vin plate) does not match your bike they WILL impound it and it could be over a year before you get it back (this is the worst case scenario, the best case is that you get away with it). You do not any bike you own in a Long Island impound yard. The last bike I had in an impound yard was backed into and run over about 10 times with a fullsize buick (GT380). After they get done processing the bike and everything comes up not stolen they will still fine you for illegally swapping vins and could even charge you with insurance fraud (they probably wont go that far but they can and sometimes consider it, espically if you have any priors). Most cops here aren't savy enough to realize the engine and frame numbers aren't supposed to match and that just adds to the headache as most of them consider it probable cause for seizing the bike as stolen.  Most cops here are not bike savvy and will apply their car knoweldge which can just make matters worse (I had one ask me where my front plate was once and was half way through writing me a ticket for a missing front plate when his supervisor let me go). They can also order the bike destroyed and not returned to you (usually if the void the title that is what happens).

If the K6 is not stolen, why not just go through a title service? Many can offer you just what you need to register the bike here and I have had no problems getting titles through broadway title. If a title service is too much of a wait for you there are a few independent shops that will mechanics lein the bike for your (costs about $300) and you will get a free and clear title. It really is worth it to go this way instead.

Also there are a few of us on LI that have bare frames you could probably have. I have a 1971 frame with vin which you don't need a title to register (just an DT802 and an MV51A, I think those are the forms). You could swap everything over on to that frame and be good to go.

If you are going to break down your K5, a couple of us SOHC'ers in NYC could use the parts (I could use the bodywork espically).
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline mb3000gt

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 07:12:31 am »
use a title service and get a title for the k6. the number stamped on the frame is what matters so if you really want to swap everything over dont even think about putting the vin plate on.

liaudio

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 05:49:40 pm »
Thanks everyone! 

I've come to the realization that this would be a bad thing to do.  I just thought it would save me a few bucks is all. 

I was also contemplating the idea of having the two bikes but swapping the vin plate and license plate depending on which bike I wanted to ride.  The K5 is cafe/performance oriented and I wanted to make the K6 for more cruising/long distances.  I'm just gonna register both of them.

(PS.  to transfer ownership/title of a motor vehicle in NY the cost has dramatically risen from $10 last year, to $50 this year!!!  Add the cost of registering and paying the sales tax, it is close to the $100 mark! )

morseji1

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 08:19:53 pm »
It might cost a bit to register the bike, but not nearly as much as the legal trouble could cost if you swap Vin numbers.

Offline merc2dogs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 01:12:28 am »

Much more expensive if you get caught.

As for the cost, I agree, first bike I legalized in michigan had a total outlay title transfer, insurance, plates etc, of $60 total, last spring it cost me $175 to get legal, and that was without title transfer

Ken

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 03:50:55 am »
Harbor Freight sells a cheap set of number/letter stamps. $12.99   ;D

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90125

Makes you nice and legal.   :o ::) :D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 03:53:08 am by puppytrax »
...stock 1972 CB500 '500 Four' undergoing re-assembly...
...Stock 1972 CL450 'Scrambler' also being re-assembled...

liaudio

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 07:18:05 am »
LOL!!!!!!!!!   Thanks puppytrax but I think that is going in the direction I want to AVOID!!!!   LOL!!!

Thanks for the kind offers everyone.  I do have the original title for the K6.  I don't know where the idea came up that I didn't.  I was just being a cheap-ass. :)

Offline sandcastcb750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 09:53:57 am »
Removing the VIN plate is almost impossible to remove without mangling/destroying it. Contrary to what was said about the 2 rivits, Honda used glue behind the plate. While you can Grind the rivit off, prying the plate off cold is impossible without some damage.

I removed the VIN plate from my K1 because the powder coater wouldn't guarrantee the job with the plate on. Having said that, the whole bike was diassembled down to the bare frame. After grinding off the rivits on the ends of the VIN plate, I took a torch and heated the neck inside where the lower triple tree is inserted. The heat softened the glue and it was EASIER (not totally easy) to remove the VIN plate. The plate is aluminum which bends very easily and for what it is worth, never looks like it did before you removed it. Always a crinkle or damaged part on the edge.

I have yet to attach the VIN plate back on the bike; eight years later. I put it in the safety deposite box with the title. Ofcourse, it is always interesting during inspection because the guy can never locate the VIN on the frame neck easily. The powder coat makes it more difficult too.

Unless you are doing a total restoration, removing the VIN tag is a real hassle.

morseji1

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 11:58:04 am »
The VIN number IS the bike (or car). Removing it for any reason is asking for trouble. At a minimum, any indication that it has been removed and replaced is going to give the appearance that it is stolen or not what it is represented to be. A bike or a car without a VIN is worthless.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »
I believe that these gentlemen from NJ have some experience in these matters:
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline CharlieT

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 05:34:08 am »
I just removed the VIN plate off my CB400f yesterday. A soft touch with the grinder and an exacto knife blade to slide under it carfeully to frre it from the glue. I intend to reattach it somewhere, but not sure where yet. Removed it because of its location. Intend to weld on a support mount/bracket on the front of the steering knuckle for the bracketry for the RC171 full fairing I'll be mounting up soon. It was either remove it or destory a portion of it and make it illegible. If it had been a further bit around the side, like the stamped number is, would not have been a problem.
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.