Author Topic: Benjie's Cafe Racer - product quality problem...  (Read 8341 times)

78CB750F1

Benjie's Cafe Racer - product quality problem...
« on: May 07, 2007, 03:22:20 am »
I bought a brake scoop off Benjie's Cafe Racer (http://www.benjiescaferacer.com) for my CB750 F1 about six months ago and although it looked good for a while, now the chrome is starting to flake off and it is rusting on the exposed metal.  My bike is always kept indoors and I haven't put that many miles on it so I am pretty disappointed.  I tried getting in touch with them by email but the email gets bounced back.  Anyone know if they are still in business?  Has anyone had similar experiences with any of his products?  Too bad because they have some nice products but if my CB750 can last 30 years, I expect aftermarket parts to last longer than a few months!

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
Re: Benjie's Cafe Racer - product quality problem...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 03:38:57 am »
Can you post a pic??

I'm sure someone here is in touch with Benji and can draw his attention to this publicity...   :'(
...stock 1972 CB500 '500 Four' undergoing re-assembly...
...Stock 1972 CL450 'Scrambler' also being re-assembled...

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 06:18:18 am »
I got an e-mail response from him not too long ago, as far as I know everything is still a go.  I got one of his seat/tank combos for my 750 cafe build and love it.  I am in the final stages of putting everything back together right now.  It is going to turn out to be one hell of a ride..

I would just shoot him another e-mail and give him a heads up.  From what I know he has alway been a stand up guy!  Probably just a computer glitch on your end or his....
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com

78CB750F1

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 08:08:44 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys - I will send him another email and see what happens.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 08:45:04 am »

Far as I know, he's still in there and making good stuff. Just a bit out of MY range is all. Doug (doug_id) has his tank/seat combo and I've heard no complaints. Your's is the only one. Keep tryin' or check with some who've used his stuff. Probably just a one-time deal that he needs to know about. ;)

Later on, Bill :) ;)   
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:12:55 am »
I've just bought an exhaust from him, I've had no correspondence problems, in fact I've had an email just this week to say it's ready ;D

His details are on my work PC, I can PM the address I got the mail from tomorrow if you like :)
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 09:27:08 am »
Back when he was building bikes and selling them on ebay, there were some complaints about his workmanship. I saw one of the bikes he build here in brooklyn and when I saw it, it was falling apart. Some I can attribute to shoddy shops that worked on the bike after it was sold, and some I can say may have been his work. That being said, I have heard nothing but praise reguarding his new stuff.

Since he is based in NJ, I am not surprised that the issue you have is with chrome. Due to EPA and really rigid state restriction the chrome in this part of the country tends to be really crappy.I dont think benji does his own chrome so the issue is probably his plater, but he should make things right.

although I don't own any of his products, I have spoken with him several times and may actually do one of his tank/ seat combos in the future. He is really a nice guy and I have faith that he will make this right.
Maintenance Matters Most

jdub

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 04:57:52 pm »
I got my tank and tail a couple of weeks ago and fitment is BAD!  I emailed him but he would not respond.  Funny that he was quick to email me back before he had my money but now nothing.  I am very unhappy with his product.  He charges a premium price and it should be a premium product and service. >:(

Offline c91x

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 05:22:40 pm »
his metal work seems to be good but after lookin closely at one of the pics you can see full size i didn't really think his finish work on the pinas 550 was the greatest. that being said he builds sick lookin bikes and the chrome isn't his work but probably a plater. I would still want a refund or have him replate him

RSV12K

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 06:42:39 pm »
He charges premium prices and he obligated to deliver premium goods. It's really too bad. He stuff looks great but who needs the grief?

Offline flipprboi

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 09:01:29 pm »
Hello everybody this is benjie from www.benjiescaferacer.com. It has come to my attention that there are some of my emails that didn't get to me, and apparently 2 of them are complains about my products. If i didn't check this forum and did a search of my company i wouldn't know that barcelonaracer and jdub had complains about our product. I will not lie, i had some problems  with some of my products outside this forum, but everything was resolved between me and my customers.  My company is  based on the web, so emails, are a important source of my communication. If i didn't reply any of your emails more likely i did not receive it and suggest to resend it.

my email address is: flipprboi@benjiescaferacer.com

**regarding the chrome problems, we stopped chrome plating on our parts and started using stainless steel instead. So, barcelonaracer, emails us and and we'll work something out.

**and regarding fitting problems with our tank and seat, Jdub we checked and fitted your tank and seat on our CB550 mock up frame before we shipped them to you, but if you still have problems email us about your problems and we are more than happy to help you out.

And for members of this forum that gave us good reviews, praises and complements, thanks again and we'll keep trying our best and keep coming out with new original designed parts. take care and stay safe.

sincerely yours,
benjie flipprboi
www.benjiescaferacer.com 

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 09:39:56 pm »
It's nice when things are resolved, well done Benjie.  ;)

Some years ago I helped a mate out who sold plants on an open market on Thursdays and Saturdays.
I was serving a customer that I had known some for some time as he was one of our regulars.
He asked how he could file a complaint. Knowing it would be a joke, I told him to come and see me on Tuesday.
A woman who was looking around the stall and not known to me but had been listening in said "you're not here on Tuesday, there's no market on tuesdays"
When we both burst out laughing, she walked away with a long face muttering something about silly men. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 01:47:17 am »
My 4-2 exhaust is one of Benjie's and I'm over the moon with it, the fit, the finish and the quality of the workmanship 8)

My neighbours are not so impressed with it, but that's a whole other story ;D
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 02:09:23 am »
My 4-2 exhaust is one of Benjie's and I'm over the moon with it, the fit, the finish and the quality of the workmanship 8)

I wouldn't mind a set without that last bend - kinda like the stocker look without the rust.
He sure is proud of them. :o

"The pee shooter style muffler slips on to the headers." um.. never mind.. I'll leave that alone.

My neighbours are not so impressed with it, but that's a whole other story ;D

My neighbors weren't impressed with the pipes on Rodney's Yam. TD2 but they got over it.

Happy trails.
1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

jdub

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 05:36:36 am »
Got an Email from Benjie,  He wants to help me with the quality problems.  I will keep You posted on the outcome.

Offline doug_id

• Hot Shot
    • My Cafe 550 Project Gallery
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 05:50:32 am »
So far I am very pleased with everything I purchased from benjie......seat/tank...pipes.  No issues at all.   He even spent a lot of time trying to help me through some issues not directly related to the stuff I got from him....... 8) 8) ;D

Doug
02 Concours
78 CB550
06 Stella 150 2t Scooter

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 06:14:58 am »
While I have not totally finished my project (have not worked on it at all this summer), my fitment before I sent the items to powder coat and paint were very good.  I can not wait to get his bike totally back together.  Just need to find a good painter around Columbus, Ohio!  If I only had more time!!
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com