Author Topic: Motorcycle Memories: Pictures & Stories Of Bikes Of Family & Close Friends  (Read 83652 times)

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
Re: Silver Bullet
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2009, 05:11:07 am »
Yeah guys of late my right hip gives me #$%* walking, sitting, what ever and I think it was the Matchless's revenge for trying to power through the kick start sequence either that or pick em up 9 drive em down 12.
Bill the demon.

Offline tramp

• Old Timer
Re: Silver Bullet
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2009, 06:12:41 am »
to have back some of my old bikes
1974 750k

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
Re: Motorcycle Memories: Pictures & Stories Of Bikes Of Family & Close Friends
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2010, 03:34:03 am »
I've been looking through some old photo albums & heres some bike related photos hope you like  ;) cheers Mick

this is my Gran & my Dad taken in the 40's not sure of the make of bike it has AJW on the tank, i think it may have been customised
Honda CB750 KO 1970,   Honda VTX 1300 2006, Lancaster England.

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2010, 03:38:04 am »
This one is my Great Auntie Lily she passed away a couple of years ago now 2 weeks shy of here 100 birthday  :)

bike is a BSA no idea who the rider is i guess it could be the 20's/30's

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2010, 03:44:53 am »
This is my Great Uncle Albert who at the time was Englands tallest policeman he stood 6ft 9 & 1/2 inches in his bare feet  :o, picture shows him on traffic duty on Sankey Street, Warrington, England 1932

first bike in the photo is a Sunbeam outfit not sure of the second

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2010, 03:51:11 am »
Heres anothe photo of him with his brothers, my Great Uncles & Grandad

left to right is my Great uncle Jim, my Grandad Charles & my Great Uncle Albert not sure who owned the car picture was taken in the 20's/30's i think, cheers Mick

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2010, 09:33:21 am »
Dolly and Donald, Brooklyn NY.   I think they were cousins on my father's side.

Taking Mom on her Christmas ride, somewhere in the mid-70's.  (Cold that year)

Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2010, 01:09:39 pm »

Hey Mick and Uncle Ernie, Great shot of the folks and the old bikes. 8) Good to see these on here where we all can come back here and check them out. Mick, that Uncle of your's IS quite tall all right! :o Uncle, from the look of the spare on your sidecar, looks like it is around Christmas. I'm sure that it WAS a cold ride at that. Looks like Mom was prepared for that trip too! 8)

Thanks for posting guys, Bill ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline Hardi

• Honda CB 750 Four
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2010, 01:13:25 am »
I started motorcycling 26 years ago. My first bike was 250cc DKW. But it was to slow and all my friends rode bigger and faster machines. So I bought my first Honda. It was a DOHC Honda with 750cc. With that bike i trvelled to the Isle of Man and went mad about the brit bikes  :D
I bought a BSA A10, 650cc and than a Norton Commando , a Brough Superior, a Raleigh and many more...

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2010, 06:20:19 pm »
Since I'm the first in my family to enjoy motorcycling, I don't have any cool pictures from way back when, but my girlfriend comes from a very strong motorcycling background. Here are a few for now.
The first one is a busy afternoon at Oden's Motorcycle Center 1949
The second is Vic Oden, not sure what he's sitting on but check out the running boards.
The third is of Tony Oden's shop, Tony was my girlfriends Grandfather.
The fourth is Joe Oden (2nd from left) 1971
The fifth is an early hill climb event, sorry no info.
More to come
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2010, 06:57:39 am »

Cool photos Brown Bomber. I especially liked this one of an old Indian (Scout or Warrior, can't tell which) Usually, the ones that have been accessorized, have been the Warrior, just my experience,

Thanks for posting, Bill ;)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:01:21 am by bill440cars »
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2010, 07:03:31 am »

Enjoyed the ones you posted too, Hardi. 8)

If I neglect to mention anyone's photo and/or stories, I apologize for that. I try to catch them all and don't always succeed. ::) 
Member # 1969

Offline Brown Bomber

• Expert
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2010, 06:16:49 pm »
Here's a few more photos from my girlfriends scrap book.

First one is the Peninsula Hill Climb 1949
Second is The Cuyahoga Valley Motorcycle Club 1949
Another shot of Vic Oden on his Indian (Warrior?) Don't know who his partner is.
Fourth is couple of fully laden Lambretta's visiting from Canada August 1959.
Keep the Shiny side up!

1972 CB750K2 "Stout"

Vito Corleone

Offline kap384@telus.net

• Hot Shot
Here's me on my CB750F when I was maybe 3.  The old man bought it used in '78.  It's a 1977 Supersport.  It went through an uncle and a cousin before I bought it.  In the process of restoring it.

1965 Honda CB450K0
1972 Honda CT70K1
1975 Honda MR50
1975 Honda CB400F Supersport
1977 Honda CB750F2 Supersport
1978 Honda XL100
1979 Honda CBX Supersport
1982 Honda VF750S Sabre - Adventure Bike modified
1983 Honda CX650T
1995 Honda VFR750
2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
2015 KTM 200 XC-W
1963 Suzuki T10
My 1977 CB750F restoration - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=66779.0
My 1975 CB400F restoration -
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=145196.msg1651779#msg1651779
'More Stock Than Not' thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=90807.500
My CT70 Resurrection - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=145221.0
Best Motorcycle Tool Ever - https://www.engduro.com

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
that Vic2 pic looks like a 41-46 Knuck beside the Indian.. think it was in an earlier pic.

Kap I got a buddy near the ATCO plant in SW Cowtown, used to have a 78F, and now has a parts one (I have some parts as well) And welcome abord !
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline kap384@telus.net

• Hot Shot
that Vic2 pic looks like a 41-46 Knuck beside the Indian.. think it was in an earlier pic.

Kap I got a buddy near the ATCO plant in SW Cowtown, used to have a 78F, and now has a parts one (I have some parts as well) And welcome abord !

Don't need any parts, but good to know!  Thanks!
1965 Honda CB450K0
1972 Honda CT70K1
1975 Honda MR50
1975 Honda CB400F Supersport
1977 Honda CB750F2 Supersport
1978 Honda XL100
1979 Honda CBX Supersport
1982 Honda VF750S Sabre - Adventure Bike modified
1983 Honda CX650T
1995 Honda VFR750
2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
2015 KTM 200 XC-W
1963 Suzuki T10
My 1977 CB750F restoration - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=66779.0
My 1975 CB400F restoration -
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=145196.msg1651779#msg1651779
'More Stock Than Not' thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=90807.500
My CT70 Resurrection - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=145221.0
Best Motorcycle Tool Ever - https://www.engduro.com

Offline Brown Bomber

• Expert
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2010, 10:54:47 am »
Well my girlfriend returned from a recent family gathering with more great motorcycling pictures from the past, this time with full pages from the scrapbook, so here they are.
The Peninsula Hill Climb 1949

A trip to Daytona Beach 1949, (Slightly different today)

And now my favorite;
Here's uncle Vic when he picked up the Indian Warrior that was in my earlier post. Couldn't tell from the other photo that those big running boards where actually Snow Skies! The skies and hardware are still in the family.

As far as we know the bike is no longer in the family, just the skis.

I did a little research online about the Indian Warrior, and learned that the 1950 model was released in early 1949, so that jives with the photo of Vic on his new blue Indian in Boston returning from picking it up in Springfield. Imagine picking up a bike with snow skis in Feb. and riding it from MA to OH :shock:

I also learned that Indian struck an advertising deal with Baseball Hall of Fame's Bob Feller of the Cleveland Indians. They gave him a Warrior as part of the deal.
The story here;http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/TheMagazine/ind_torque.html
I showed this to Mary,(my girlfriend) and she said "Oh yeah, Grandpa had something to do with giving him that motorcycle." 
     Now, Mary's grandpa, (Tony Oden) was an entrepreneur, and had several motorcycle related ventures, but I don't think he was part of the advertising committee, more likely he knew someone, and was able to attend the presentation. Somewhere is a photo of Bob Feller on his new Indian that is not part of the ad, but taken by Tony, I doubt we'll ever see it though.
Keep the Shiny side up!

1972 CB750K2 "Stout"

Vito Corleone

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2010, 10:48:14 am »
my father's email about motorcycles in his life
I'll find a photo of him on the bike he has now and post it but I thought it was a good email giving me a glimps into past bikes.

Hey Boys,

I love seeing these "old" bikes.  Here are a few that me or my friends had in the 60's and 70's.  Ariel Scrambler, Ariel four square (that's right four cylinders mounted in a square), BSA 650 Lighting (me),  NSU Quickly (me 50cc moped), Triumph Tiger Cub 200 cc, Jawa 250, Honda Dream 350, Triumph Bonneville, Royal Enfield, BSA 500 single (just a son-of-a-#$%* to kick start but the old one lunger sounded too cool).  Vespa Scooters!  Indian Motorcycles. Norton Commando 850 biggest and baddest bike on the road. Snortin' Nortons. 

Nobody would own a Harley. They were disgusting. First, you had to be able to actually carry tools and work on a Harley at any moment, they consistantly broke down.  Then,they had some kind of drip on the chain lube system that left a pool of oil everywhere.  Next they had no off-the-line acceleration and finally they were MC club bikes for Hell's Angel's or Hell's Angle's wanna be's.  They were real pieces of #$%* bikes and eventually got sold to American something and damn near folded until employees bought the company and made them into cult bikes and eventually into todays "Life style" marketing miracles which convinced millions that HD bikers were cool especially with HD jackets, boots, wallets, probably boxers?, HD you-name-it gear.  We see dozens in the country riding out from Houston in packs on Saturday and Sunday.  $20K bikes and can't ride for #$%*.

Back to the 60's.....Helmets? What the hell for?  Noboby even imagined such a thing.  Steve McQueen in the Great Escape movie was the hero busting out of the German prison camp on a bike.  Beer and bikes?  Well of course.  I have no idea how I survived.  Some of my friends didn't.  Somebody up there must have been looking over me.

TT and flat track races at night on dirt tracks. Smell the oil and the smoke. Hill climbs and scrambles with converted Harleys, BSA's and Triumphs that weighed like 600 pounds and would crush you when they tipped over backward and fell on top of you on hill climb races.  No plastic chest guards, shin guards, face masks.  Anybody wearing anything like that would have been laughed off the track.  That stuff came much later with moto cross.

Until a few years ago I could still see a scar on my arm where to old Beezer tipped over on me and the exhaust landed on my arm.  Ahh the sweet smell of burning flesh.  I had just out run a local cop by speeding then getting into a field he couldn't drive accross.  I waved to him from the top of a hill and hauled ass.  He knew exactly who I was and got even with me a few months later. 

Later I had Yamaha 500 single when Tom was born and a Yamaha 450 Enduro before that.  Then came Panama and into the more modern era of bikes.

Can't ride the old CM450E much now.  Texas highways are too fast.  Even the FM's and CR's have 65 and 70 mph limits where most states the limits are 55, and it's either too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter for old dudes, but Spring and Fall are perfect weather, like Southern California or Costa Rica.   

I see a 1000+ cc bike in our future.  Patty loves to ride with me and as soon as we can get Emi old enough to stay over at friends we'll be riding agian.

I'm sure not "hard core" but I can't think of a better way to get around then on a motorcycle.  And, I have to admit that all the safety gear really makes a lot of sense .... something we did not have a lot of in the 50's and 60's ... sense.

C ya boys

Pop

Offline ferroussphinx

• hello and help me please lol
  • Enthusiast
  • 1974 honda cb 750
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2010, 01:47:30 am »
well fellas that is a nice letter love the part about harleys good night
honda cb750 1974

Offline IndyFour

• Hot Shot
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2010, 03:23:37 am »
Here is one of my grandpa.  He passed on back in 2003 but is still the greatest hero I will probably ever know.  Two Purple Hearts...one in WWII (Normandy and Battle of the Bulge) and one in Korea.  He was just a little guy, but strong as an ox.

He rode bikes all through his life.  When I was a kid, I remember he had a big white Harley and had other Harley's and Indians through the years.  In the 80s, he got his first Japanese bike, a Goldwing.  I remember that he made the comment once that he'd rebuilt engines on so many of his bikes over the years even when the bikes weren't that old, yet all he had to do on the Honda was change the oil....and it just kept running and running....why would anyone go back?   :D

1974 CB550K
2000 VFR800FIY

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2010, 03:40:43 am »

Awesome picture Chris! From the look of his clothes, I'd guess that pic was probably taken in the early to mid-40's? If not for him and the many other's from his generation, we might not of had a choice of riding a Japanese bike! :o
Thank God for all our veterans!  8)
BTW, I like that flag carrier on the front fender...

Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Brown Bomber

• Expert
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2010, 05:52:40 am »

Awesome picture Chris! From the look of his clothes, I'd guess that pic was probably taken in the early to mid-40's? If not for him and the many other's from his generation, we might not of had a choice of riding a Japanese bike! :o
BTW, I like that flag carrier on the front fender...

+1
Keep the Shiny side up!

1972 CB750K2 "Stout"

Vito Corleone

Offline IndyFour

• Hot Shot
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2010, 01:44:31 pm »

If not for him and the many other's from his generation, we might not of had a choice of riding a Japanese bike! :o

Amen brother.

You know you always find out the most interesting things at funerals.  At his funeral, a couple of old guys who knew him from way back all referred to him as "KY".  Apparently that was his nickname in his unit in the army and it stuck with him for most of his life.  He was from Kentucky (way back hills Kentucky) and had moved to Indiana after the war where he met my grandmother....hence the nickname "KY" for Kentucky.  It was very apparent that's where he was from when you heard him talk.   ;D  Anyway, I always liked this picture because just that little corner of the license plate is peeking out behind the flags that shows his nickname.
1974 CB550K
2000 VFR800FIY

yboy11

« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2011, 03:33:11 pm »
I remember the Odens well. Mom's cousins and my uncle Leonard's riding cousins. I do remember seeing a picture ,back drop Alaska. No electric suits in those days.  All pictures posted look familiar.  Thanks for the historical ride.
yboy11

Offline meerkat

« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2011, 02:28:28 am »
I've been looking through some old photo albums & heres some bike related photos hope you like  ;) cheers Mick

this is my Gran & my Dad taken in the 40's not sure of the make of bike it has AJW on the tank, i think it may have been customised
Hi AJW was the designers initials, A J Wheaton. The bikes were made to oppose George Brough's machines. They were manufactured with various engines from different suppliers from 1927 till the company, under different ownership, folded in 1977.
We're quite local to each other as I live in Kendal. :)