Author Topic: Hondaman Ignition  (Read 35917 times)

Offline Patrick

• Expert
Re: Hondaman Ignition
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2008, 09:17:24 am »
Once he sees how his bike runs with your ignition, Mark, he won't be sending it back....
1970 CB750 K0
1982 VF750S Sabre
1987 VT1100 Shadow
1979 Yamaha XS11
1969 Yamaha DT1B
etc.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2008, 09:52:15 am »

Another attempt: remove some of the grounding arms. The iridiums I have seen have 4 landing arms: make it 2, or 1, to get the advantage of the higher-conductivity materials in use. This will also increase the fuel flow THROUGH the plug gaps: remember that these are swirl-burn engines (unless you've hemi-ed the heads), designed for a spread-spark effect my moving the gases through the spark. The longer the spark, the wider the flamefront, which equals more torque, cooler operation, etc.
The Denso Iridiums and NGK for bikes have 1 ground strap.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2008, 03:42:47 pm »
I wish I could find a set of "Golden Lodge" plugs for a CB750, they were the "ant's pant's, bee's knee's, and ducks nut's" all rolled into one, back in the day! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2008, 03:45:33 pm »

Another attempt: remove some of the grounding arms. The iridiums I have seen have 4 landing arms: make it 2, or 1, to get the advantage of the higher-conductivity materials in use. This will also increase the fuel flow THROUGH the plug gaps: remember that these are swirl-burn engines (unless you've hemi-ed the heads), designed for a spread-spark effect my moving the gases through the spark. The longer the spark, the wider the flamefront, which equals more torque, cooler operation, etc.

Thanks, MRieck: the ones I was referring to are the Bosch ones I see at the local Checker Auto in their display counter. I'm not fortunate enough, yet, to have seen the ND variety.

If they already have 1 arm, so much the better!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2008, 05:00:55 pm »

Thanks, MRieck: the ones I was referring to are the Bosch ones I see at the local Checker Auto in their display counter. I'm not fortunate enough, yet, to have seen the ND variety.

HM
 I figured the Bosch were what you were referring to. That's a lot of ground but coil sticks are pretty powerful like you said. I absolutely agree with your reason why the 1 ground is better.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:02:44 pm by MRieck »

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2008, 06:47:48 pm »

HM
 I figured the Bosch were what you were referring to. That's a lot of ground but coil sticks are pretty powerful like you said. I absolutely agree with your reason why the 1 ground is better.

Have you had any experience with (my next experiment) the on-plug coils and the Iridium? I'm testing the HM Ignition for use with those coils this Spring, if I can find a set that will fit under the 750 frame rails. Was wondering how those plugs might enhance things....  ::)

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2008, 08:04:11 pm »

HM

Have you had any experience with (my next experiment) the on-plug coils and the Iridium? I'm testing the HM Ignition for use with those coils this Spring, if I can find a set that will fit under the 750 frame rails. Was wondering how those plugs might enhance things....  ::)
Only on my Hayabusa....they work well. I've had nothing but good luck on my FJ with 2.2 coils and CB with 3.0 Ohms. SamCR has the same experience. Perfect performance.

ev0lution7

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2008, 10:02:39 am »
everything honda and toyota and pretty much every car i work it if you can afford them (most cars are about 5-10$ a plug) USE EM as far as bikes go i know the newer bike use them exclusively!

Offline Joksa

• Enthusiast
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2008, 01:14:33 pm »
I was searching for info how to use a "generic" automotive ignition module like bosch "124" or similar with points and found an interesting page with schema how to do it with a HEI module:

http://www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZheiModForPoints.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:25:38 pm by Joksa »

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2008, 09:21:33 am »
I was searching for info how to use a "generic" automotive ignition module like bosch "124" or similar with points and found an interesting page with schema how to do it with a HEI module:

That would probably work: you'll have to hand-build a circuit board to hold those other parts, though. There's several other similar methods about, but all require considerable fabrication to "get it all together". I don't trust GM electrical parts (personal preference, I suppose), so I designed this one to Plug-N-Ride on the Honda electrical system (Kaws and Suzys, too), and specifically with "built-in backup" in case I rob a bank someday, and need to escape on my bike, but the cops throw a Spark Stick under my bike, killing my Transistorized Ignition: I can still jump off, swap out the coil wires in 2 minutes, start it up, and escape to Mexico...   ;D

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2008, 09:36:56 am »
+100 on the HondaMan Module!  Installs quickly and has so far give me not a lick of trouble.  I like that I can "deinstall" quickly if it should pop.  These bikes have few redundant and/or failsafe systems, so it's nice to have one built in by design!
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline mustangcar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2008, 10:46:41 am »

thanks for the post very interesting,there is even the use of this same  GM module to control ignition for the fords duraspark distributor,eliminating the brainbox for the duraspark, longer dwell time was the benefit,,,,some  cb750 installation pics would sure be great,,as for Hondamans ignition exact module,i can't seem to find it in the posts,is it an actual module he made? Dyna? 

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2008, 10:56:03 am »
Stang,

Here is the post with HondaMan's initial musings on the creation of the module through design, test, marketing and customer testimonials.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=15948.0
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline hcritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2008, 02:47:02 pm »
Hey Mark!
100 degrees here today in MS! Just got in from a ride on the CB...still running like a champ.
Wished my GS was that smooth!

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2008, 07:19:22 pm »
Stang,

Here is the post with HondaMan's initial musings on the creation of the module through design, test, marketing and customer testimonials.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=15948.0

Boy, that seems like such a looong time ago... A quick estimate of other testimonials puts over 150,000 known miles on these things, with no failures yet. The biggest surprise was discovering that the spark comes out better than with the Dyna "S" units, during that big test & post I did last Winter. Sometimes surprises are a good thing!

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2008, 07:21:01 pm »
Hey Mark!
100 degrees here today in MS! Just got in from a ride on the CB...still running like a champ.
Wished my GS was that smooth!

Thanks, "H": I still see that gorgeous black frame, hanging like a deer on the rack...gonna do that myself here, in about a week, on the Hondaman Special #1 frame. What a great idea!

Offline Joksa

• Enthusiast
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2008, 09:23:11 am »
I don't trust GM electrical parts (personal preference, I suppose)

I think I'll try the circuit with bosch modules ('124' or '139').
It might take same time as my rear sets have already taken few weeks on my pace...

Offline hcritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2008, 12:31:57 pm »
Keep us posted on the progress there!  I think I may go through the GS this summer to..It's about like the CB...in real good shape...but could use a nice freshening up. It's an 85, so getting some age.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2008, 05:03:37 pm »
What model GS is it mate? Should run as smooth as silk, they had the best carbs and ignition available in 1985, and my 1980 and '81 GS1000's are still running strong! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline hcritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2008, 07:29:41 pm »
Hey Terry.
I picked up a pretty nice GS1150E last year...unmolested...got factory pipes and airbox etc.
Fast and Smooth!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2008, 03:19:27 am »
Mate, that is magnificent! About twice the BHP of a CB750 and you can tow a boat behind it! Are you a member of The GS Resources? The best Suzuki website bar none, with even more members than this site! Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/index.php

Offline hcritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2008, 07:27:47 am »
Hey Terry...
Thanks man! It's an old school rocket ship for sure...Suzuki says 124 HP. It's big and heavy compared to the crotch rockets of today, but it sure is nice on the highway.
And yep...got HUGE torque!
It's got a few small issues that seem to be the nature of the beast. Crazy Tach readings and questionable charging system. Stator seems OK as of now...but think I may go ahead and put in the Honda R/R and maybe a new stator to be sure. Seems these engines are pretty much bullet proof.
I joined GS resources for sure...but don't seem to be too many 1150 owners there.
Lots of good info though.

Offline ralt12

• Enthusiast
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2008, 07:48:20 am »
At the risk of getting back on topic, I've installed HondaMan's ignition, and the transformation back to fabulously running bike has been just remarkable. Dead smooth at idle, starts on one kick, revs better through the range, etc...
One of the best mods I've done.
On an unrelated topic, I've also gone up a tooth on the front, from 17 to 18, and it hasn't changed the seat-of-the-pants all that much, though it has dropped 200-300 rpm at 70-75. (Hard to tell--the needles bounce around a bit...).

Offline hcritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2008, 07:52:50 am »
Yep...it really does make a big difference in the way the bike runs...idle and low speed are big improvements.
I haven't even checked the points since I put the production unit in...ran it up to redline a few times last week...never missed a beat.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2008, 11:31:04 pm »
Yep, those Hondaman ignitions are great, I've got three of them, and even though they don't throw a fat blue spark like my Dyna S, they're still my favorite, particularly after Mark built me a couple at my request with "on/off" switches so I can change from "Hondaman" to just "Honda" at the flick of a switch, and completely isolate the ignition as an "anti-theft" device. ;D

Now to go back off topic for a sec,

Hey Terry...
Thanks man! It's an old school rocket ship for sure...Suzuki says 124 HP. It's big and heavy compared to the crotch rockets of today, but it sure is nice on the highway.
And yep...got HUGE torque!
It's got a few small issues that seem to be the nature of the beast. Crazy Tach readings and questionable charging system. Stator seems OK as of now...but think I may go ahead and put in the Honda R/R and maybe a new stator to be sure. Seems these engines are pretty much bullet proof.
I joined GS resources for sure...but don't seem to be too many 1150 owners there.
Lots of good info though.

Yeah mate, Suzuki electrics from that era aren't great, my GS1000S battery goes flat all the time, an on my first GS1000, it actually "boiled" my battery as too much charge was going in! The Yoshimura GS1000 I just picked up surprised me though, after 5 years under a tarp in the PO's yard, it still charges fine.

The engines are bullet proof compared to our Honda's, with roller bearing cranks and gear primary drives there's nothing much that goes wrong with them, they handle brilliantly, and will blow anything else from the era off the road! The 1150 was the biggest (and arguably the best) of the 16 valvers, and even now they can keep up with modern bikes.

Anyway, I better stop singing their praises before these guys get too cranky, if you wanna talk Suzy's, I'm just "Terry" on the GS Resources! Cheers, Terry. ;D