Author Topic: The 1970 Daytona CR750s.  (Read 262805 times)

Offline voxonda

• Master
Re: The 1970 Daytona CR750s.
« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2008, 02:14:25 am »
Anybody know what the story is on the reversed rear brake arm?

And Voxonda, do you happen to have a photo of the oil tank that is normally housed under the seat hump of the JapAuto?

Thanks!  RR

Hi RR, think the reversed rear brake arm was a 'cheap' way of using excisting parts to use with the footrestset. Normally, as Japauto did the next year, there was a conversion to cable operation.
Don't know what you mean by seat 'hump'? Is that the rear part of the seat? That was never intended to put the oiltank under.

You should be able to put a small battery in. I have put the wiring for the taillights in.
The oiltank always sat under the seat, like most of the CR/CB's used for racing. You can also see the conversion to cable operated rear brake on this 1973 racer.

I am building one for my Replica now.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:16:36 am by voxonda »
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #176 on: March 23, 2008, 03:40:00 am »
Thanks for the reply, Vox...

Some time back I stumbled upon a photo of an auxiliary oil tank that was used on one of the Bol d'Or races.  Crude thing that matched the shape of the seat hump.

So you're building a JapAuto as well?  I have an original JapAuto seat and dual filler tank, Konis, Dresda swing arm and wide DID rims.  Are you going to use the full fairing? 

Is that Spiller's fiberglass seat, and if so how do you like the quality?  Have you been in contact with Peter Masse?  Thanks!  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #177 on: March 23, 2008, 04:51:34 am »
You're more then welcome RR,

Maybe you can put the picture of that oiltank here for us to see, always interested in 'solutions' from others. Yes, I am building a replica ( not 100% though) of the 1973 Bol d'or winner.

You can see that I am using the full fairing. It's what makes the bike what it is.
On page 9 of this topic is another pic of my bike. Think it's ready for 90%. Have to work a bit on the fairing and have it painted. During that I clean up the frame, and put a central placed oiltank in.
Do you have picture(s) of your bike?
I have bought my seat from the Japauto Club de France, and therefor I know Patrick Massé. Hope to meet him at the "Classic Bol d'or" at Magny-Course on the weekend of 11,12 and 13th of April. Don't know if Patrick have Spilers made them, but I am happy with the quality of my seat.
Hope to find a tank in the future although I am pleased with the one I have.

Nice talking to you, Rob

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #178 on: March 23, 2008, 10:04:26 am »
Your VX is coming along very nicely, Rob. I see you've found a set of S.M.A.K. wheels; congratulations! 

I'd like to correspond with you regarding JapAutos, and this thread is really about the CR750's.  I have some information that I think you'll be interested in, and I know you have information that I'm seeking.  The JapAuto is very model specific and I doubt that most enthusiasts in the US are interested in them.

An email address is in the Profile you'll find by clicking on my nom de screen  8), Ricky Racer.  It's much easier to exchange pics and conversation in personal email.  Please contact me.

Thanks.  RR
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #179 on: March 23, 2008, 10:26:39 am »
Hey RR,

You're right let's not mess up this thread with these 'Frog' bikes! ;D ;D
Mail is on it's way!

Cheers

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #180 on: March 23, 2008, 03:57:28 pm »
Keep posting pics Rob, I've liked that Bike ever since I read about it in a bike mag back in the day! Wasn't there a US connection? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2008, 01:46:16 pm »
Hey Rob and Ricky, feel free to chat about your diferent takes on the CR, as you will know, a CR won the Bol at its first attempt.
Carry on posting your thoughts here, no problem.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2008, 02:39:24 pm »
Hi men,
Will be glad to do so! Have a question about the front suspension of the CR. I know that one of the difference was the way the front axle was clenched(?) with 4 nuts at each forkleg. But used the CR the same axle? Diametre, material?

Cheers, Rob

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #183 on: March 24, 2008, 02:50:28 pm »
Hi Rob, we used a set of forks from an F model so I'm not in a position to reply, maybe someone will be able to tell.
I would think that Mark at M3 racing would be able to answer that one.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline City Boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #184 on: March 24, 2008, 05:58:24 pm »
To the best of my knowledge,the 4 nut fork cap forks were the "works" models which were very special and not available to the great unwashed.They consisted of magnesium lowers and titanium upper legs and ti. lower stem.I bought a set once from a lad at American Honda,however I resold them as they were a lot shorter than stock and must have been for a much different frame than stock.The CR forks that were available in the CR race kits had same as stock lower legs and 1" longer than stock chromed full length upper legs.I have a set of these on my unit with an 18" front Morris alum. mag.I did however keep and use the ti. top fork bolts from the "works" forks.I drilled these for Schrader valves for air assist.  Rock On
'52 Kiekhaefer Mercury Rocket Hurricane KG4H
'70 750/RC 1000 Original Owner
'83 1100F

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #185 on: March 24, 2008, 07:51:18 pm »
Not sure about the true CR forklegs but my Yoshimura catalog from 1973 includes a section in the rear for "Checkered Flag Customs" handling products. This outfit aligned themselves with Pops around this time.

They offered kits to add a second caliper & disc and also magnesium (four bolt) forklegs which were 1+3/16" longer than stock. They did use the stock axle. Price per leg was $39.95 plus five bucks extra for polishing

Offline City Boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2008, 03:53:02 am »
Tks bwaller.Likely, the legs you mention are what voxonda saw.  Rock On
'52 Kiekhaefer Mercury Rocket Hurricane KG4H
'70 750/RC 1000 Original Owner
'83 1100F

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2008, 12:45:16 pm »
Hi Rob, we used a set of forks from an F model so I'm not in a position to reply, maybe someone will be able to tell.
I would think that Mark at M3 racing would be able to answer that one.

Sam. ;)

Hi Sam, In my Turbo project I also use a front fork from a DOHC. I always, well almost, use Honda parts. The reason I ask is that years ago I had my own solution to make the front a bit more rigid. Always wondered why I never seen it! Will show some pic's of the version I am making now. Have to correct myself, have seen it once.

Wish someday to come across a real factory fork, if only to touch and feel the real deal!

cheers, Rob
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 02:23:12 pm by voxonda »

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2008, 12:34:37 pm »
In the meantime working on the oiltank,cooler and plumbing. Never mind the roughness, is to be cleaned up, blasted and powdercoated. Also the oillines will be replaced by longer ones.

Just to give you an idea of how it's going to be.

cheers.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2008, 01:12:41 pm »
oil 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) er.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline cafe750

• Hot Shot
  • If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2008, 06:13:24 pm »
Hi Everyone

I'm also coming to this thread late in the game (just signed up), but can shed a little light here....

Of the four factory CB750s (not CRs....the CR moniker reflected kitted bikes with kit parts, not whole motorcycles) built back in early '70 for Daytona, only one has been proven to still exist. It's in France, and one of the two bikes shipped there after Daytona for endurance-race use by Honda France.

I have hi-rez images of one (a right-side-shift machine) right after it was uncrated at American Honda in Gardena. The detail of the images is stunning.

Two years ago, Motorcyclist sent Patrick Bodden, Bob Hansen and Bob Jamison to Paris to check on a bike owned by a collector who claimed to have one of the originals...

Although they couldn't confirm it was THE Mann or Bryans bike (or one of the others), they did confirm that various engine and chassis parts of the bike did indeed come from one of the four factory machines. Which is significant considering how elusive this portion of Honda's mechanical history really is.

We've got pix and an amazing bundle of notes on the Paris bike, the trip and the machine in question, and will publish them at some point in Motorcyclist Classic - our new classic/vintage magazine - when we get things organized and the story written in full.

Anyway, I'm in touch with Hansen and various Japanese Honda R&D engineers (who worked on the CB project in the late '60s) on some of the more important details of the story, and we're hoping to lay to rest some of the wild CR/Mann/Replica BS that's been floating around these last decade or so.

Thanks for your time....

Mitch Boehm
Editor
Motorcyclist Classic
Mitch.Boehm@sourceinterlink.com

Does anyone know if this new magazine is in the shops yet?

Sam. ;)

The ads for it in Motorcyclist say that its coming out in late April, at Borders and Barnes and Nobles, and other large bookstores... ;)
"It's an old motorcycle, the wind is supposed to blow your head around, it's supposed to leak oil, the brakes should suck, and every now and then, it should scare you so bad you piss your pants."

Roy, Washington

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2008, 06:30:24 pm »
Thanks, I'll have to have a trip over to the US and pick one up. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2008, 01:33:27 pm »
Hi there,
If we're talking CR750, then this is the real deal! The 1973 Morio Sumiya bike.

Then this would be the real front.

Cheers, Rob

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2008, 01:38:08 pm »
Interesting how different the bodywork is from current pattern pieces, especially the fairing.  It look stronger and better developed that the usual designs.  Very nice!  RR

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2008, 01:50:30 pm »
It is no rare model though, have seen it around Europe.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:03:09 pm by voxonda »

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2008, 11:50:35 am »
Nice pics Rob, keep them coming.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2008, 01:43:27 pm »
Hey Sam,

I might do that. Here are 2 very nice bikes, think you know them?

The 812cc Spondon framed Honda of former racer Peter Darvill.

The very quick CR820 of the C(lassic) E(ndurance) M(otorcycle) R(acing)T(eam)
Have seen these bikes at the Zolder circuit in Belgium last year, where I will participate this year on the 19th of June, and that is without noise regulations. Loud saves lives!!!

Cheers.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #197 on: March 31, 2008, 07:59:14 pm »
Hi Rob, last year we entered the Classic Bike Sprint at North Wield and thought we would be up against those two bikes.
The cheating so and so-es entered them in the 750 class. you can see the results in the "CR836 results are in and how" thread on page 7.
I have competed myself against the last pictured bike of Clive Brooker on numerous occasions and allways came off second best.
Jim Redman is 10 years my senior but I'm a drag racer not a 6 times World Road Racing Champion GP star ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
He's a nice bloke and a true gentleman. 8) 8) 8) 8)

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photos/JimRedman750Honda.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photos/SamGreen400Honda.jpg

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2008, 12:10:40 pm »
Sam - I've seen Clive Brooker's CR750 on a few occasions and manaed to spend time looking over it. It didn't look anything special externally to me - definitely modified road bike rather than CR replica if you know what I mean. Do you think the engine is where all the money has gone?!
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2008, 12:30:32 pm »
I'm not sure Simon, when Chris rode at the same meeting as him, Chris was half a second quicker and we were having jetting problems. Like you said, it don't look anything special.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92