Author Topic: The 1970 Daytona CR750s.  (Read 262773 times)

Offline voxonda

• Master
Re: The 1970 Daytona CR750s.
« Reply #275 on: July 15, 2008, 02:58:42 pm »
Since I am starting up a (very) small business in supplying parts for CB's 750/500, I am in the process of developing 'special' parts which are becoming hard to get these days. One of the items is a top rear engine mounting part. Used this part years ago on a 750 racer. I just need to blast and paint. See what you all think.

I also have a front engine-mounting part made out of 7075 Alloy. Will post a picture shortly.

Cheers, Rob

Did you ever get the business off of the ground? Have anything available for a 550K1? I don't necessarily need any parts, but I would love to support someone who makes parts for our bikes...

Hi there,

Yes, have started a small business, nothing fancy, but gives me something to do alongside my 'normal' job.
My website: http://www.voxonda.com/ gives you an idea of what I am doing and/or selling. Hope you like it.
If you have further questions just let me know.

Cheers, Rob

Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #276 on: July 21, 2008, 01:13:08 pm »
There ya go Martin.

http://gibsonexhausts.co.uk/

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline dakeddie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #277 on: July 25, 2008, 01:26:18 pm »
Hi guys,

Anyone here got a drawing of the oiltank of the CR750???

Thanks, rob

PM me your address Rob, I'll measure it up as soon as I get chance and post on to you.

Sam. ;)

Hey Sam,

Would you be able to scan your drawing and post it on the forum?  Or is it a secret?   :o

I'm interested in the CR oil tank too.  Specifically in what's going on inside it...  What is there for baffles?  Are there any means by which air bubbles are separated from the oil?

I've been reading up on dry sump oil tanks, but most of the info out there is for cars where all sorts of fancy baffles, and centrifugal oil/air separators are implemented.  It wouldn't be overly difficult to add these features, but do I need to?  The stock CB750 oil tank has a very narrow and kind of deep section where the oil pick up is.  I think this would promote air separation to some extent.  It would be hard to replicate that in a CR style oil tank.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #278 on: July 28, 2008, 02:20:57 pm »
No it's not a secret but, I was unable to get all the measurements for Rob.
As the tank is fitted to the bike it was a problem.
All the edges are rounded and no two sides are the same.
To have worked off what I supplied would have been a nightmare.
Unless you have the tank in front of you it would be real difficult to replicate it accurately.
Another thing to remember is, this tank will not fit into a stock frame.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

jjwaller

« Reply #279 on: July 30, 2008, 09:50:04 pm »
Hi there,

Yes, have started a small business, nothing fancy, but gives me something to do alongside my 'normal' job.
My website: http://www.voxonda.com/ gives you an idea of what I am doing and/or selling. Hope you like it.
If you have further questions just let me know.

Cheers, Rob

Link doesn't work

Is there another?

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #280 on: July 30, 2008, 10:01:38 pm »
Works for me jj.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

jjwaller

« Reply #281 on: July 30, 2008, 10:28:03 pm »
Works for me jj.

Sam. ;)

Strange, now it works.
Tried several times and different methods.
Must have been site down or something.

Thanks

Offline 750essess

• Orleans Cycle Repair & Resto
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #282 on: August 03, 2008, 04:38:06 pm »
Hey Voxonda, checked out your site and didn't see that rear engine bracket in the pic above. Have any for sale yet? Would be interested in purchasing one and the longer bolt required. I was going to have a similar setup machined from solid this winter, but if you have them I wont need to. Also would like a stronger front mount and high grade bolts for all engine bolts. Thanks in advance....Tom. Oh and very nice bike, the details look very well done.
Orleans Cycle Repair and Restoration
76CB750F
69Z50
XR650L

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #283 on: August 04, 2008, 06:13:40 am »
Hey 750essess,
You're correct. Due to holiday-season was not able to keep the site up-to-date. We're also still in process of develop the site, so it's not perfect, yet. Can fabricate the bracket for you, material is in house. Longer, stronger bolt(s) is also possible. My thought is to keep everything in the right proportion. What I mean is that if you make one point, too, rigid there will be another 'problem' in other area's. Always keep in mind that we are messin' with 'old' machines that are by far 'state of the art'.  I always try to 'measure'(?) what the effect of a change is. Seen some bikes build with the best parts available but still did not perform, and seen men on nearly standard equipment ride circle's around them. Will send you a PM to keep this topic 'clean'.

Cheers, Rob

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #284 on: September 02, 2008, 12:06:08 am »
Saw an advert in the new edition of Classic racer, looks a lot like Sam's CR, hope it is not the same bike, or is it?
Help me out here, Sam!

Cheers, Rob

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #285 on: September 02, 2008, 12:01:46 pm »
It has never been mine Rob. I built it and help to look after it, but it has allways belonged to my mate Chris.
It has taken him to about ten Sprint Campionships and strip records at all the events he has contested over the last six years.
He has acheived all he can with the bike and now wants to turn his attentions to building his AC Cobra that he has had for about four years.
I will be sad to see it go.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #286 on: September 02, 2008, 12:23:03 pm »
Agree, would hate to see one of my bikes go after all the effort put into it.

Cheers, Rob

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #287 on: September 04, 2008, 05:36:52 am »
Hey Rob, you've got some nice parts there mate, well done! I do like those TZ discs, they'd go well with my Borrani rimmed front wheel, ooh, and I like that turbo too, I could use one of them, and, and, aw man, I like all of  that stuff! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #288 on: September 04, 2008, 08:15:13 am »
Hey Terry,

Thanks mate! Yeah, they are a pair of special discs. Make me a offer............
Am building the Turbo. Thought of selling it, but think it's better to make it run and see if will sell itself. Think it will be a blast!

How is the top oiler job?

Cheers  :)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2008, 08:19:55 pm »
Thanks Rob, I probably couldn't afford those discs, so I'll probably just buy some used Brembo's. From memory, my BMW R100RS cast iron discs would fit Honda hubs, but I'd have to redrill them.

I'll be using F2 forks, so I can fit a range of different calipers, I've got a box full of old Brembo twin opposed piston calipers in my garage, I could use some 4 piston "Nissin" calipers I've got here, but the old Brembo's are brilliant calipers, and look more "period" than 4 potters. 

The braided steel "oil and gas" hose I bought from the US turned out to be just thin walled fuel line, so I'm still looking for some 1/4" ID hot oil hose.

When I get home today I'm gonna pull the K1 (with the hot 836CC engine I built) out and fire it up for the first time in months and re-set the ignition timing, and I might install the top end oiler, or I might just take it for a ride instead, but the project is definitely still "alive and well", for sure! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #290 on: September 10, 2008, 12:38:22 pm »
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #291 on: September 18, 2008, 05:28:40 am »
The braided steel "oil and gas" hose I bought from the US turned out to be just thin walled fuel line, so I'm still looking for some 1/4" ID hot oil hose.

Terry;
Did you check into hydraulic hose? It's made to run hot oil, and can be had braided or overcovered with another rubber layer (like Aeroquip).
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

MJB

Big Benly, etc.
« Reply #292 on: October 02, 2008, 01:59:09 am »
Hi Everyone

Man, it's been a LONG time since I've been here.

The silver CB750 racer shown in an earlier post is indeed Big Benly. It's a project racer Patrick Bodden, myself, Jack Seaver and RL Brooks built back in about '97 for AHRMA's Formula 750 class. We ran it for several years, at Daytona and Sears Point and in the Historic Team Challenge at Mallory Park and, later, at Silverstone. I won the Formula 750 event at Daytona in '99 (at least I think it was '99 ;-)

Anyway, Benly was a true 750 even though it was heavily modified, unlike many of the so-called CR750 racers (and British triples) that competed in F750 over the years, all of which were cheaters, with displacements far larger than 750cc. Oh well....

A quick note about Motorcyclist Retro, our new vintage/classic magazine. Issue one (Honda CB750 and Kawasaki H1) was a hit. Issue two, on stands now, features the Kawasaki Z1 and Honda 250 Elsinore. I'll put a list of outlets carrying Retro below.

Thanks for the support!

Best,

Mitch Boehm
Editor
Motorcyclist Retro

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Books A Million
Hastings Books
Walden Books
Safeway
7 Eleven
Kroger
Meijer
Publix
Fred Meyer
H E Butt
Macs Convenience Stores
Stater Brothers
Raleys

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #293 on: October 02, 2008, 05:27:12 am »
Hey Mitch, do Borders in Australia sell it? There are a couple of Borders stores here in Melbourne and I'd love to buy a copy!  Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Mossy21

• It takes "Time" to be a Classic..........
« Reply #294 on: October 02, 2008, 05:58:56 am »
Here's some pics of a replica someone was selling on Ebay. Very nice. :)
If I can't see the Engine I can't see the point.......

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #295 on: October 02, 2008, 07:45:27 am »
Mitch,

Good job. Keep up the good work especially the restoration series with Vic World &/or others. I like your mix of advertisers. Some useful info on some I didn't know about. Are you selling in Canada? If not please get 'em to those guys too. I had to drop off issue 1 to Derek in BC and now I don't have one anymore. I haven't had any problem finding both issues here in the states at Safeway. I looked at King Soopers (Kroger) here in Colorado Springs but didn't find it. Looking forward to my subscription. Please make the back issues available.

Jerry
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #296 on: October 02, 2008, 10:14:26 am »
Mitch,

I just want to personally thank you and everyone associated with Motorcyclist Retro. I love it!
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #297 on: October 02, 2008, 04:11:01 pm »
Hello Mark McGrew here from M3 Racing USA. I just joined today as I was reading some things about the CR750 Hondas that were a bit off base. Like top speeds at Daytona 200 1970. Dick Mann's bike was the fastest of the four factory bikes, he WAS NOT the fastest bike there. He did qualify on front row but went only 152.560 MPH....a good effort but the factory Triumphs/BSA triples went faster. Another fact about the Dayona qualifying back then....they used the entire Tri-Oval to get higher numers for Nascar/Daytona owner Bill France senior. He liked the bigger numbers that all out, wide open running would allow. ( Bob Hansen told me that) Now we use the infield in our Q laps. In fact our M3 Racing CR750 Classic racer hold the top speed record for all classic bikes at 155.556 MPH and we used the infield, along with the banking!

As for getting all the team members together, we did that at 1989 AHRMA AMA Vintage Days. Bob Hansen (team Manager) Bob Jameson (crew chief) Ron Robbins (mechanic) Glenn Biggerton (mechanic) Dick Mann (rider) Red Scampher (helper) was not there ,as he passed on and since then Glenn Biggerton has passed away.

Bob Hansen is still with us, but not doing that well and does not travel on advice of his doctor.

I have Tony Robbs' letter to Bob Hansen, post the race in 1970 and Bob Jameson's race notes that I will post soon on my site at http://www.m3racing.com and on this forum, if there is interest.

As for how many bikes were at Daytona that year. At least 8, with four being factory bikes..the rest "kit" type CB750's

KOS (king of Speed)
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #298 on: October 02, 2008, 05:02:17 pm »
...the factory Triumphs/BSA triples went faster.

Blasphemy!! He's a witch.... burn the witch, burn the witch!! ;D

Thanks for the info Kos, and welcome!

1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #299 on: October 02, 2008, 05:06:04 pm »
Welcome aboard Mark and thanks for the info. Please do post that letter when you get a chance. Seems a few of us will be at Barber shortly, any chance we'll see M3 & Co?