Author Topic: Powder Coated Frame, and now...  (Read 816 times)

Offline Burke

• Hot Shot
Powder Coated Frame, and now...
« on: November 16, 2007, 06:23:13 pm »
I got my frame back from Powder coat tonight. (see pic)

After seeing the last thread on engine painting, and seeing all those great looking engines & bikes, I am getting anxious and totally overwhelmed by the work ahead of me.

Usually 'we' get a bike, get it started, then ride and repair/replace parts as we go. Not a total re-do.

Any input on how to put a method to a rebuild? I am sure would be appreciated from me and all the others beginning a build.

wiretender

Re: Powder Coated Frame, and now...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 06:36:31 pm »
I got a quote from local, prominant PC business to blast and paint frame for $120. I will never strip and paint a frame myself again.

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
Re: Powder Coated Frame, and now...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:09:46 pm »
  First order of business on a rebuild is DON'T powdercoat the frame. Every used part that gets mounted to it will look dingy and old and will have to be cleaned/polished thoroughly adding months to the project :D :D :D

Kidding, the powdercoat holds up great against oil, gas, cleaners, etc.. and still looks brilliant after 3 years of riding :)

I just wrapped the frame tubes in hand towels and blue painters tape, then put a rolling chassis together(swingarm, front end, rear wheel), then electrics, then engine(careful) and carbs, and finally seat and tank.

The reason I got a rolling chassis together and put the engine in near the end is that my space is limited and the project needed to be moved regularly.
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame