Author Topic: 1975 CB750F- Getting her up and running  (Read 2040 times)

Honda_Dan

1975 CB750F- Getting her up and running
« on: April 08, 2005, 09:09:26 pm »
Hey guys, 

I just started working on my bike for the spring and need some advice.

First, a little background: I bought this bike in 1998 from its original owner. I had the carbs cleaned and rebuilt, and the guy replaced the airbox with pod filters. I thinkI has some other small stuff done to the bike also. I road the bike a lot for 3 or so season. During that time I really didn't do anything for the bike except change the oil every season. Lately, I've been moving around a lot and havent't been that kind to the bike( it has not been ridden much and spent several new england winters in an unheated garage).

I'm going to to get back into riding, but I'm on tight budget these dayas and I also want to learn how to more stuff on the bike.

I changed the oil and filter today, changed the gas, emptied the flow bowls in the carbs, and recharged the battery (reading 11.9 volts). I also have some new plugs that I'm going to put into the bike. I managed to get the bike to start today, but it dies after a little bit.

Here are my quick questions:
1) I'm guessing that the carbs need work again. Is there anyway I can clean them without taking them all off the bike etc. Someone suggested running some carb cleaner through a tank of gas. Does this work?

2) How can I telll if the problem is in the engine? As far as I know the bike under my ownership, has never had valve adjustment or anything like that.

3) What should be the spacing for the new plugs.

Anything else I might be forgetting about?

I can't wait to ride!!!

El Taco

Re: 1975 CB750F- Getting her up and running
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 10:27:31 pm »
You can run the carb cleaner though it and pray. I've found that the combination of the two is worthless. Your engine should be fine. Before you go tearing apart the breaker plate to check the advancer, or bothering with the point gap, rebuild the carbs. It's sat long enough. These things are finicky. You won't need kits, unless you tear the gaskets or O-rings. Give it a thorough cleaning and clear all the passages with compressed air. Bolt them back on. New plugs never hurt. I've had the worst luck with NGK plugs. I was taking advantage of the 2 year warrantee twice a day, because the new plugs would quit firing by the time I got across town. They never lasted long enough to foul. Get the Autolite alternative. It's cheaper and they last much longer.

Good luck.

Offline Einyodeler

• Expert
  • Midnight bugs taste best!!!
Re: 1975 CB750F- Getting her up and running
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 06:18:45 am »
These old bikes need to have the valves adjusted at least every 3000 miles.I change my oil every 1000 miles and check the valves every other oil change.Get a manual and it`ll walk you right through it.And I totally agree about taking off the carbs and cleaning them out right,the stuff that they sell as gasoline turns to gummy sludge in just a couple of weeks of sitting with all of the additives in it these days.
1972 CB500 - 1973 CB500 - 1974 CB550K - 1975 CB550F - 1975 CB750F - 1976 CJ360 - 1983 CR480 - 1970 BSA A65T Thunderbolt

Download Motorcycle Shop Manuals here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0