Author Topic: worlds best gasket remover?  (Read 35589 times)

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
worlds best gasket remover?
« on: November 25, 2007, 07:39:08 am »
Well, I don't know!

I was wondering what people are using for gasket remover and what kind of scraper they are using? I think I got a few nicks in a case recently because I was using a certain kind of gasket scraper.

What is your favorite combination of chemical & scraper?
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: worlds best gasket remover?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 08:33:02 am »
A long time ago a mechanic buddy showed me this.

He used a retractable blade razor knife like an OLFA
 he used the sharp edge of the blade to cut what he can trying to get underneath the gasket.. what he cant get with that you can use the end to scrape with.

Has worked way better than anything I ever used before .
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 09:33:13 am by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline mkramer1121

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 08:45:11 am »
If you're repainting it anyway, use aircraft paint stripper to soften the gasket and a plain razor blade to remove it.  Then thoroughly clean it afterwards.

Offline stresssolutions

• 4 years on a motorcycle, Time Flies!
  • Enthusiast
  • 03 RoadStar, I miss my Honda
    • bloggy thoughts
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 03:39:41 pm »
Any reason you wouldn't use a grinder with a cup brush on it?  That's how I finally got the water pump gasket off my 94 F150 I6.
Enjoying life, one day at a time.

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 04:41:47 pm »
Exacto #11 blade in an Exacto cushioned handle to get off the heavy stuff. I used brake cleaner to remove the remaining residue.

ethos42

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 08:45:00 pm »
Of all the stuff that can cramp your hand, removing old crusty gaskets is the worst, WORST of them.

I tried using my Dremel on my last gasket. I have a slew of bits I never get to use, so I started experimenting with them to see which ones would not be too abrasive on the part, I didn't want to cause any low spots. Turns out I had a set of hard green ones that worked wonders. The gasket came off quick and left a nice smooth surface. The Dremel bit wore down quick, so I went through a few of them.

To me, it was worth it. The bit's cost a few bucks each, and the time/effort/frustration saved has me wondering why I never did it before.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 09:29:09 pm »
Trust me, unless you used some ignorant glue rather than sealant, the knives will get 90 % of it off faster than you could imagine..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 09:28:02 am »
Trust me, unless you used some ignorant glue rather than sealant, the knives will get 90 % of it off faster than you could imagine..

well, you can always trust a PO or 30 years outside to make the job more fun :)
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 10:14:29 am »
The flat blade EXACTO knife removed my gasket like butter.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

USN20

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 10:35:19 am »
Not the worlds best gasket remover, but when all else fails ... 3M paint stripping pads. Ultra heavy duty version of a Scotch-Bite pad. Cut with a pair of household scissors to the size needed. Works on most gaskets - stubborn ones will take a little longer. Doesn't create gouges or damage aluminum and leaves a dull finish. Around $2.00 for a two pack at Wal-Mart or home depot.

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 12:29:56 pm »
sharpened putty knife. 1" does good.

newcbguy

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 01:31:19 pm »
Permatex makes a spray on gasket remover that is so bad a$$ that it will remove carbon deposits on your pistons! This can be found at auto parts stores. It really breaks loose the old gasket material to allow you to scrape it off easier. dont get it on your skin though.

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 12:56:27 pm »
Not the worlds best gasket remover, but when all else fails ... 3M paint stripping pads. Ultra heavy duty version of a Scotch-Bite pad. Cut with a pair of household scissors to the size needed. Works on most gaskets - stubborn ones will take a little longer. Doesn't create gouges or damage aluminum and leaves a dull finish. Around $2.00 for a two pack at Wal-Mart or home depot.

I will have to keep this in mind!
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 07:42:44 pm »
Actually I forgot that the thinner razor knives have a more flexible blade and work even better than the wider ones..

but of course if you think a 9.00 knife that will do about a hundred engines is a  bad deal, go out and pay more money for aerosols, brushes etc...
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline tortelvis

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 01:59:28 pm »
A little carb cleaner left to soak for about 30 minutes will lift red gasket sealer.

TEET76

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 07:33:44 pm »
Ive used the permatex gasket remover as well, and let me tell you....this stuff is great, but be very carefull not to get it on any painted surfaced...it eats up everthing in its path. Ive also learned the hard way how carefull you have to be while scraping/removing gaskets from aluminum......its very easy to nick, gouge, or wear away the surface, as opposed to steel. I picked up one of these a while back, and it also works great....its a Craftsman gasket scraper...I think it was less than $10

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 09:30:51 pm »
I have one of those a K-D tools one..

but I have never used it since I found out and tried the  Olfa-knife method... (retractable, snap-off blade knife)  thin ones with narrow blade that can flex work best..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 05:15:10 am »
A little carb cleaner left to soak for about 30 minutes will lift red gasket sealer.

Carb cleaner is almost as good for you as Acetone. Just a little sip and you're sure to believe the gasket is all gone, or at least you won't care anymore.

Seriously, whatever you can use without overly abraiding the metal surface is great. One thing I found that I think helps after gasket removal is Mother's Mag polish. It gives a very smooth surface to the mating surface, but doesn't appear to diminish sealer properties if gasket sealer is used.

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 05:18:51 am »

Carb cleaner is almost as good for you as Acetone. Just a little sip and you're sure to believe the gasket is all gone, or at least you won't care anymore.

Seriously, whatever you can use without overly abraiding the metal surface is great. One thing I found that I think helps after gasket removal is Mother's Mag polish. It gives a very smooth surface to the mating surface, but doesn't appear to diminish sealer properties if gasket sealer is used.

I forgot to add that I  used carb cleaner after the mag polish to make sure there was no residue. Sorry!

sbc1320

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 03:12:08 pm »
Razor blade works wonders especially on those Ford water pumps. Done several at work this way. I have a plastic razor blade holder that is maybe about two inches long and it holds the blade nicely. I can lay it real flat to the surface and it works great. Sometimes I take the razor blade and just push and walk it from side to side. Car motors that I rebuild I use the heaviest type of putty knife typed scraper that is about 3 inches wide. This way I can use the weight to get a little more momentum going.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 07:08:42 pm »
Razor blade works wonders especially on those Ford water pumps. Done several at work this way. I have a plastic razor blade holder that is maybe about two inches long and it holds the blade nicely. I can lay it real flat to the surface and it works great. Sometimes I take the razor blade and just push and walk it from side to side. Car motors that I rebuild I use the heaviest type of putty knife typed scraper that is about 3 inches wide. This way I can use the weight to get a little more momentum going.

You have to be extremely careful when using a steel razor blade on these aluminum engines, though.  It's very easy to accidentally gouge into or slice off a piece of aluminum, and then you no longer have a nice, smooth gasket surface. 

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 08:52:27 pm »
I found I was causing a lot of scratches using the tool pictured above, top of page.
dodogas99@gmail.com

TEET76

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 09:52:32 pm »
I found I was causing a lot of scratches using the tool pictured above, top of page.

True....this is possible with too much pressure, or an inexperienced mechanic especially on aluminum...these scrapers were designed for scraping gaskets from steel, but will work on aluminum if caution is taken. If I am weary of gouging delicate aluminum cases, I would use a hard poly putty knife after soaking the gasket in gasket remover...