Author Topic: 'puter help....Please  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Paul

• Hot Shot
'puter help....Please
« on: November 26, 2007, 02:05:50 pm »
Thought there might be someone on here that can be of assistance.
done a windows update recently... nothing wrong there, updated internet explorer,
Have AVG

I'm getting this every other time I open a file...

Threat Detected! ....System32\COMCTL32f.dll
Trojan Horse Generic9.XLD

I don't think it is a threat (Havn't a clue really)
But I've loaded up every god damn software I could find, About 15 of them, Ad-aware, SpyBot, Schredder, Smitfraud, CCleaner, Buster, HSFix and loads more... Nothing to be found.

I think it's something in the update, but I can't get rid of it.
Does anyone know for definate what I can do here...it's getting annoying.

Thanks, In advance.
Paul.
Paul.
It hurts to admit when you've made mistakes, But when the're big enough, the pain only lasts a second

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
Re: 'puter help....Please
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 02:20:33 pm »
A Google search on that file comes up with nothing!  Have you copied the name correctly?

In general a .dll (Dynamic Link Library) file is not a threat, but I always check by going to an antivirus site (like symantec.com or the AVG home site) and searching on the string. This will normally tell you whether the file is a real threat or just a hoax.

Which programme gives the warning? If it's AVG, then go to their home site and ask athe question in their forums.
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 03:04:12 pm »
You LOADED smitfraud?

Smitfraud is a nasty piece of malware.

Download and run this in safe mode:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

Run the house call online scan at trendmicro:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/

See what happens.
No.

Offline mattcb350f

• Hardly a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB350F
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 05:03:14 pm »
malware  :( bummer

for what it's worth, I use Max Secure Spyware detector (http://www.spywaredetector.net)
and It will find what gets by Norton. Cheap too at about $45

Good luck rooting that thing out of your puter'
 Matt.
1974 CB350F,  1980 CB125S,  1981 XL80S
Non Honda's: 86 & 87 Husqvarna 400wr's

My CB350F resto: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=30467.0
Gallery at:
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=298318

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 05:51:55 pm »
It sounds like you may have too much protective software.  Full blown antivirus software like Norton and Symantec don't like others like them installed on one machine.  I ran into this when a friend loaded AVG on top of Symantec.  Neither would work until one of them was gone.  A conflict in your case is a possibility.

This doesn't mean you should get rid of those others like Spybot and such, although you may have a conflict there also.  Currently I run AVG, Spybot, and Windows Defender.  Nothing has gotten past them yet.
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 10:17:53 pm »
SteveD is right, go to the forum/help site for whatever is finding it and post there.  Also, it doesn't google so either it's brand new, or you've mistyped it or something.

The hijackthis / merjin.org forum is like the SOHC4 forum but for malware - if you've got the time and you really want the answers, all the answers can be found there.
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Offline oldbiker

• Expert
  • I HATE RAIN
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 01:58:21 am »

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 12:36:13 pm »
whenever i run avg it comes back with the js/psyme virus,ive run all kinds of stuff and nothing has found it,kinda wonder if its there.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Paul

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 03:57:58 pm »
Thanks for your help folks.
I've done a full system scan using all that the AVG forum has suggested......Nothing.
The file "COMCTL32f.dll" is there, won't let me delete it "In use", but maybe it's part of the Windows ststem and should be there.
Full variable scans show nothing, except for AVG and it won't get rid.

Posted a Q in the AVG  forum, see how good they are.

I don't think is't a threat, just something that AVG doesn't like, but its annoying.

I know biking forums arn't computer forums, but at least bikers can talk sense...well most of ye anyway. ;D
Back to bikes...
Paul.
It hurts to admit when you've made mistakes, But when the're big enough, the pain only lasts a second

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 04:10:32 pm »
What version of Windows are you running? When you say the file is there, is that because you did a file name search or because AVG says it is there?
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 06:03:50 pm »
Thanks for your help folks.
I've done a full system scan using all that the AVG forum has suggested......Nothing.
The file "COMCTL32f.dll" is there, won't let me delete it "In use", but maybe it's part of the Windows ststem and should be there.
Full variable scans show nothing, except for AVG and it won't get rid.

Posted a Q in the AVG  forum, see how good they are.

I don't think is't a threat, just something that AVG doesn't like, but its annoying.

I know biking forums arn't computer forums, but at least bikers can talk sense...well most of ye anyway. ;D
Back to bikes...
A couple of quick things. When hunting down nasty code you should do so in SAFE Mode when booting up Windows. You can do this by pressing PF8 and holding down as the machine boots up. Many malware writers have the code report itself busy thereby countering the cleaning software. This does not occur in safe mode.
Antivirus software maintains a library of Virus code to compare compare code against to decide if it is looking a a Virus. Another Antivirus will read that sample code in the others library and report a Virus found. Before installing protection software, do a search to see if it is reputable. Some are a Wolf in sheeps clothing. Good luck!
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?