Author Topic: I'm learning more about K0's every day!  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
I'm learning more about K0's every day!
« on: December 05, 2007, 01:15:58 am »
Well I think it's interesting, but I am easily amused, I guess?

Today I received 2 large boxes today from Hondaman (Thanks for shipping them for me Mark, your packing skills are first class!) containing my latest EBay bargains, a set of (like new) 836cc pistons (probably an "Action Fours" kit) and bored cylinders, a ported head with stainless steel valves, an Andrews "K" grind cam in "as new" condition, cam towers, rockers, cam cover, oil filter cover, nuts and bolts, etc etc. All in all, a bargain for 100 bucks! (plus shipping, boo hoo................)

Now the seller (not HM) said they were from a 1975 "Supersport" drag bike, but on closer inspection, I saw that this couldn't be correct, because the cylinder block didn't have the deeper holes for the sealing rings that all the 750 engines had after 1974, (?) and then on closer, closer inspection, realised that there was no centre front hole for the 6mm bolt that secures the head to the cylinder block on all engines from the K1, so it's a K0 head and cylinder block!

I've never disassembled a K0 before, but I knew about the one less 6mm screw etc, but what I didn't know.............. (hang on to your collective hats) ................ is ................ (drum roll)......................... there are no removable oil jets on the K0 head! There is a depression in the casting, and I presume that you still fit two little "O" rings in there like you do on the end ones, but all there is, is two tiny drillings in the depression, and that's it!

Did you know that? Oh, you did? Well why didn't you tell me? Ha ha, Cheers, Terry. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: I'm learning more about K0's every day!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 08:44:26 am »
What the heck was that listed as ???
 I even went and looked back then..did not find.

Did you ship to HM because they were US only?..and/or to get it looked over to see if it was worth sending over the pond??

Speaking on KO.. my last name ends with KO..!! HAH!!!

Parts coulda been on later bike, some buy exchange cylinders.. and heads..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 12:01:54 pm »
Geez mate, what's your surname? I knew a bloke called Kovko, but that's the only name I know that ends in KO, ha ha!

Here's a link to the auction, I should get in touch with the seller and see if he still has the crankcases, I wouldn't mind a spare complete K0 engine. Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140165853448
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 04:00:49 pm »
Well you can imagine that a KO engine would be different than the later models. They designed and built the motor in a about a year so after a lot of miles out on the real world they found areas that needed a change.   
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 06:36:41 pm »
Yeah, as the head's already been modified (porting) I'm thinking about drilling the head for oil jets like the later engines. As I can't remove the "jet" at the moment, I can't see whether there's any crud (like a blob of silicone) blocking the other side, just waiting to eat these expensive components, in a spiteful act of mechanical terrorism against a poor harmless Aussie! ;D

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:55:52 pm »
OK Terry, i looked in my early parts book and the orify (12238-300-010) are fitted to K2 and after and there are 3 heads 12200-300-060 (CB750); 12200-300-070(K1) but these both supercede to 12200-300-405

These numbers are from an American Honda parts book dated January 1974, if you insist i will try and get time to scan it to a cd
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 09:20:43 pm »
LOL @ orify... R U sure its not orifi????
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 09:41:21 pm »
OK Terry, i looked in my early parts book and the orify (12238-300-010) are fitted to K2 and after and there are 3 heads 12200-300-060 (CB750); 12200-300-070(K1) but these both supercede to 12200-300-405

These numbers are from an American Honda parts book dated January 1974, if you insist i will try and get time to scan it to a cd

G'Day Bryan, so are you saying that the oil jets weren't fitted to the K1 either? But the K1 has the front centre 6mm bolt that secured the head to the cylinder block, unlike the K0, right? Hmmnnn............ I've got a reprint of a parts manual somewhere, so I'll check it out! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 02:30:05 am »
But the K1 has the front centre 6mm bolt that secured the head to the cylinder block, unlike the K0,

I thought this center bolt was introduced at some point along the K0 production run? ??? All very confusing. :-\
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 04:31:05 am »
well, the book i have shows the bolt for all the listed bikes although it does chenge part number to make it a "flange" bolt.
Was it only the very eary that didnt have it?
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 12:15:54 pm »
well, the book i have shows the bolt for all the listed bikes although it does chenge part number to make it a "flange" bolt.
Was it only the very eary that didnt have it?

My "Diecast" K0 doesn't have the flange bolt, it's a January 1970 build. I had a K1 years ago, and swapped the head with that from a K2, so I'm guessing it did? (My current K1 is a "bitser", with a K6 engine) ;D

Offline oldfart

• Enthusiast
    • The Motorcycle Project
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 07:11:28 pm »
Well I think it's interesting, but I am easily amused, I guess?

Today I received 2 large boxes today from Hondaman (Thanks for shipping them for me Mark, your packing skills are first class!) containing my latest EBay bargains, a set of (like new) 836cc pistons (probably an "Action Fours" kit) and bored cylinders, a ported head with stainless steel valves, an Andrews "K" grind cam in "as new" condition, cam towers, rockers, cam cover, oil filter cover, nuts and bolts, etc etc. All in all, a bargain for 100 bucks! (plus shipping, boo hoo................)

Now the seller (not HM) said they were from a 1975 "Supersport" drag bike, but on closer inspection, I saw that this couldn't be correct, because the cylinder block didn't have the deeper holes for the sealing rings that all the 750 engines had after 1974, (?) and then on closer, closer inspection, realised that there was no centre front hole for the 6mm bolt that secures the head to the cylinder block on all engines from the K1, so it's a K0 head and cylinder block!

I've never disassembled a K0 before, but I knew about the one less 6mm screw etc, but what I didn't know.............. (hang on to your collective hats) ................ is ................ (drum roll)......................... there are no removable oil jets on the K0 head! There is a depression in the casting, and I presume that you still fit two little "O" rings in there like you do on the end ones, but all there is, is two tiny drillings in the depression, and that's it!

Did you know that? Oh, you did? Well why didn't you tell me? Ha ha, Cheers, Terry. ;D   

Terry -- It isn't just KO heads.  The removable oil jets didn't appear til at least 72.  Check the factory parts book. 
Mike Nixon
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?

www.motorcycleproject.com

Offline CB750F2

• Hot Shot
  • Pat's first Honda 750 F2
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 01:16:18 am »
G'Day Terry. Just to make things more confusing the head on my K1 motor has the removeable orifices. Mind you the head may not be K1 but check out the part nos in this web site - http://www.crotchrocket.com/fiche_select.asp?vcc=Motorcycles&mfg=Honda&year=1973 Are there any distinguishing marks on these heads? Pat
Regards
Pat from Australia