Author Topic: Just got my aftermarket ignition switch, 550k1  (Read 2707 times)

Offline turin39789

• Enthusiast
Just got my aftermarket ignition switch, 550k1
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:14:47 pm »
Ugh.   Got my new ignition switch.  I thought about grabbing an oem, but if I did I'd want to find one with the same key code as my seat(they matched before my ignition wires dissolved) and I couldn't find that anywhere, so I went for the half price aftermarket one that everyone seems to carry.

Plugged it in and it works great! Just so long as I don't plan on running with a gas tank I'll be fine, otherwise its 3-4 inches too short. 

Is cutting the cable in half and splicing in the extra length the only way to go?  Hardware store, autozone and radio  shack do not seem to carry any cables with this kind of connector.  Looks like just a box for 4 spade connectors.  I was hoping to find the plug ends and making a 3-4 inch extension cord. 

boo.  My new points assembly also was buggered.  Installed it a month ago and it ran great out of box, wanted to go ahead and adjust points and the included screw stripped out, pulled one off my old points assembly and had the same problem. second screw from old assembly survived, and I just didn't adjust the other set of points.

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
Re: Just got my aftermarket ignition switch, 550k1
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 05:22:46 pm »
It's probably the best way.  Making an extension with the plugs doubles the chance of corrosion and a breakdown in the circuit.  If you cut and extend the wires(soldering the joints), you take corrosion out of the picture.
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline turin39789

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 05:24:48 pm »
It's probably the best way.  Making an extension with the plugs doubles the chance of corrosion and a breakdown in the circuit.  If you cut and extend the wires(soldering the joints), you take corrosion out of the picture.

ugh, but its in perfect shrinkwrap/sleeving.  Now I just need to get a heat gun, shrinkwrap, a soldering iron, and some more wire. 

I wonder if my electrician brother wants to make his bum of a brother a last minute christmas present this weekend.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:09:15 pm »
Square plug!! Geeez just yesterday someone said they were all roundplug till 72!! WTH???
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:58:09 pm »
read the post carefully 750 is round till 72 500/550 always square!
wires should be long enough if switch is where it ought to be I.E. under LH side of tank
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline turin39789

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 05:08:04 am »
wires should be long enough if switch is where it ought to be I.E. under LH side of tank

Yea sorry, and 550k1 = 1975 cb550

I checked my 76 parts bike and it looks like the ignition switch connection coming from the harness is in the same spot.  With the ignition bolted in place, the wire will make the  connection, but it's taught, and adding the tank disconnects it.  It's going to need to be lengthened.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 09:35:00 am »
I am getting bad.. I was thinking 500 K1 which would have been 71 or 71.

I dont have a 72 anymore to check but I think I have part of the wiring harness and a round plug ignition kicking around. (But not sure of origin)

But where I got on this thought is I had a few 350,s CL & CB, and I had somehow thought that round plug change happened around 70  and was on all the bikes.. probably I am wrong on that?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 12:26:24 pm »
no you`re not,its called getting old ;D
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

jrtruckn

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 05:38:21 am »
If I remember correctly I saw somewhere wire connectors that you just push the wire in like the old crimp style connectors and then heat them (no crimping required). They include solder and shrink tube all in one. They guy I saw use these just used one of those cheap lighters to heat it. I asked how well they hold and he gave it a very hard tug and it didn't come apart. He said he carried them in all his cars because its an easy fix along side the road. You may want to check your local autoparts store.

jrtruckn

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 05:48:34 am »
Here's a website and video on how these connectors work.

http://www.nationalstandardparts.com/electrical_videos_elektralink.htm#

Offline turin39789

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 10:00:40 am »

Offline turin39789

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 10:04:16 am »
Click on the pics for larger versions, still can't get the full resolution to stay, but thats what you get with free pic sites.

Finally got them up, just spend another 15 minutes trying to find a way to get the wires to route as is.  As you can see in the third pic, my "original" switch was hacked into once already.  The new switch seems to be 9 inches from the base of the switch to the start of the plug, and the old one was 13 inches.  Tried moving the whole harness up, but didn't help, seems like the ignition switch needs to go above the round tank rest, bet every time i push the tank on that last inch it disconnects.  I loosened the switch so the wires could have some more play but still no help.

About to go buy some flux and extra wires, just wanted to post this and get some feedback on this.  Is there a magic way to route this or do I need to lengthen these wires?

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 10:46:18 am »
The "AHA" moment...

Yes, you will need to extend the wires if you plan to use the bar-mounted bracket. The switch was originally on the frame under the tank.

Happy trails.

btw.... do NOT use acid-core solder or paste flux. rosin-core solder ONLY for electrical work.

1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline turin39789

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 11:20:10 am »
The "AHA" moment...

Yes, you will need to extend the wires if you plan to use the bar-mounted bracket. The switch was originally on the frame under the tank.

Happy trails.

btw.... do NOT use acid-core solder or paste flux. rosin-core solder ONLY for electrical work.

GREAT! 

If only I'd listened to

I'd have been riding 4 days ago.  But I glossed over it and assumed he was telling me that the wires had to route under the left hand side of the tank.

Glad I decided to wear my reading comprehension hat today!

My bike was missing the bracket to hold the switch, luckily my parts bike had on and 2 minutes later I'm zipping up and down the street without the ignition dangling.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 03:42:27 pm »
Am I allowed to say "Yah Boo Sucks! Told You SO"
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline turin39789

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 11:52:42 am »
Am I allowed to say "Yah Boo Sucks! Told You SO"

yeah i think that's allowed

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 10:39:11 pm »
Sorry didnt mean it realy, just having a bad day! Any help i can give please ask i promise not to bite----at least not hard!