Author Topic: Removing Chrome from aluminum parts  (Read 17719 times)

Offline Dusthawk

• Expert
  • Dusthawk & Rita IFO Phils Cafe, bestest Breakfast!
    • My MySpace Place
Removing Chrome from aluminum parts
« on: December 23, 2007, 03:52:08 am »
Any ideas on how to get this flaking mess of chrome off?
1971 Honda CB750 K1 Chopper A.K.A. Rita

Build Thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86383.25

Offline smack doogle

Re: Removing Chrome from aluminum parts
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 04:43:14 am »
Mine looks the same way and I would like to know also.  I was just going to sand it down but maybe there is a better route?
What's my problem?  I'm from Wisconsin, that's what my problem is.

tbone

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 05:52:04 am »
The big problem with sanding it off is that the chrome is much harder than the aluminum.

The best route is to find a local plater in your area. Many of them have a tank set up for stripping old chrome off parts to be re-plated.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 06:00:19 am »
The reason platers hate alluminium is that when you plate it it wrecks the chemicals so they only tend to do it when they need changing anyway
And removing it is more of a pain that plating it
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline kirkn

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 06:04:10 am »
Hmmm.....  is that CHROME?

I always thought that OEM coating on the various aluminum parts was some kind of paint / clear coat combo?

I've heard that a product, available at WalMart, call Aircraft Stripper, will take that OEM coating off, leaving the aluminum ready for sanding/prep/polish/paint/whatever.

I picked up an aerosol can of the stuff yesterday, coincidentally, and tested it on some old Honda XL parts on one of my project bikes.  Seems to do the job!  This one didn't have much of the OEM finish left, and had been repainted by someone, but this stuff did a good job!  I'll also be doing the engine case covers for that project, and that will be a better test.

Spray it on, it bubbles and thickens, let it sit for half an hour, then rinse & scrub with an old sponge.

Good luck with yours.

Kirk

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 06:11:27 am »
I'm guessing it is chrome, done after the fact by the PO likely. I have a spare engine with some chrome plated alum. parts and I'd like to find some way to strip them also.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 06:18:34 am »
Not to derail the discussion on how to remove chrome (which I'm interested in as well), but if this is the only peice you need to have done, it's a small and common enough piece that I'd suggest just replacing it.

Surely someone here has a spare they'd offer up.  I'd mail you one but I just recently got rid of all my old 750 stuff.
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 07:32:21 am »
Yes replacement might be a wise option.  Seems pretty common now on Ebay to see just about all of the various engine covers to be offered up in supposedly nice fully polished shape.  Prices vary but if you have ever made the attempt to do a full out polish job on some of these parts, the prices don't seem too outrageous.

Offline Bodain

• Hot Shot
  • I love the smell of fresh asphalt in the morning!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 11:16:40 am »
If you've ever used Muratic acid to get rid of rust. You know it will eat chrome almost immediately.
2009 Suzuki TU250
2014 Honda Grom
1984 Kawasaki GPZ 750
2005 Yamaha Zuma 50
1974 Honda CB 750
1979 Kawasaki Z750 Twin

Offline Patrick

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 11:29:01 am »
It'll eat aluminum very quickly, too.
1970 CB750 K0
1982 VF750S Sabre
1987 VT1100 Shadow
1979 Yamaha XS11
1969 Yamaha DT1B
etc.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 12:12:43 pm »
i would think that you could un-plate it in a manner similar to plating but reverse the positive and negative ?

Offline Dusthawk

• Expert
    • My MySpace Place
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 12:27:41 pm »
Not to derail the discussion on how to remove chrome (which I'm interested in as well), but if this is the only peice you need to have done, it's a small and common enough piece that I'd suggest just replacing it.

Surely someone here has a spare they'd offer up.  I'd mail you one but I just recently got rid of all my old 750 stuff.

Yes, well, there you found the rub in that idea, I only posted picks of the breather to save space but to give an idea of what I want to do. Most of the covers on Rita have been chromed like this, Stator cover, Trans cover, Valve cover etc. That is a lot of parts to replace. I already have a new valve cover and breather cover to replace these chromed ones but would like to see if I can remove the chrome so I can polish them before returning them to Scondon, who provided the replacements. I have a bench grinder and polishing wheels on the way, and plenty of time to polish, so I thought it the least I could do for Scondon.

Plus, since I will soon be tearing the engine down for the rebuild of the top end, it is a good time to figure out how to remove the chrome and polish up these other parts as well.

Oh, Kirkn, it is for sure chrome, I used a brass brush to remove a lot of the flaky crap and it isn't the clearcoats a lot of people use, but thanks for the thought.

"Unplating" won't work either as the chrome is already bonded to the aluminum.

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 02:12:46 pm »
I'd go to the experts.  Know a local plater?
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Caferacingparts

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 02:49:52 pm »
The reason platers hate alluminium is that when you plate it it wrecks the chemicals so they only tend to do it when they need changing anyway
And removing it is more of a pain that plating it
   I think you are thinking of carbon. Most platers won't touch used mufflers or pipes for this reason. Any carbon in the solution will cause problems with any future chrome jobs.  Of the 3 chrome shops I have used, none have had a problem with removing old chrome from aluminum parts. And each has told me that the reverse procedure they use is the only way to remove the chrome without destroying the aluminum.
             Cheers, Bret @ Glass from the Past

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 02:57:05 pm »
after a few decades of being around bikes,

I have only heard that reversing will remove the chrome.. BUT NOT THE NICKEL.. which is fairly hard..

Usually you are faced with sanding/polishing it off.. buy another set and save these for powdercoat.. or the valve cover for a smoothed look..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

tbone

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 06:38:21 pm »
Nickel requires a different solution so you are right that the reversed chrome solution won't remove it but a reversed nickel solution will.

Also, Caswell Plating sells an electroless nickel stripper.

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/metalx.html

Offline bathcollector

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 09:53:38 pm »
Platers can remove the chrome for you, i had a set of Donovan Hemi valve covers done. They come out quite dark in appearance but rebuff nicely

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 10:40:49 pm »
My vote is to rechrome them or pitch them and replace them. I would think it would be cheaper to have replacements chromed than to attempt to rechrome those and have them come out badly. 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Dusthawk

• Expert
    • My MySpace Place
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 01:23:04 am »
My vote is to rechrome them or pitch them and replace them. I would think it would be cheaper to have replacements chromed than to attempt to rechrome those and have them come out badly. 

That is all well and good for the breather cover, but what about the valve cover, stator, clutch covers, all the chromed aluminum pieces are chromed and pitted and corroded. The nearest Chromer is a couple hours away by car, I will find an Email to contact them to find out what they think they can do.

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 06:46:48 am »
Not that I love ebay or anything but . . .Just did a search on ebaymotors for "cb750 polished"  . There are a good number of pieces listed most of which are offered at buy it now.  Looks like at this very moment you could buy all the covers (didn't see the breather) in a polished state for between $200 and $300.  Search for non polished stuff under "cb750 cover" . . .Put a request on this site for a complete cover set and see what happens?  Abrasive blast your covers and have them chrome like powdercoated? Seems like any of these options would be easier than finding a plater to dechrome unless you have a good connection in the industry.  Even after the process you will still need to do a bit of work to get the parts looking close to stock or a lot of work to get them polished or rechromed. . . .
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 07:01:58 am by eurban »

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 08:40:40 am »
A local plater (Wisconsin Plating) offered to chem dip 2 tanks and a crap load of smaller parts for $50.  That being the case, I'd rather have them dipped and polish them myself.  I am a cheap skate and look to go the most economical route. 

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2007, 11:45:37 am »
A local plater (Wisconsin Plating) offered to chem dip 2 tanks and a crap load of smaller parts for $50.  That being the case, I'd rather have them dipped and polish them myself.  I am a cheap skate and look to go the most economical route. 

Chem dip to remove real chrome plate?  Is this an acid dip (if so see the destructive effect of acid on aluminum parts warning earlier in this thread)?  The process for deplating chrome would typically not be called a "chem dip" and might run you a good bit more than $50, but who knows . . . .

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2007, 12:40:16 pm »
 My plater charged $20 to de-chrome an alternator cover that had really flaky chrome. Came back kinda dark but smooth and fresh,and ez to refinish.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2007, 05:02:19 pm »
Yeah, I've had some aluminum parts "de-plated" and a complete RC drag bike exhaust too, with no problems at all.

There's no "acid bath" technique that I know of that'll remove chrome/nickel/copper plating without dissolving the aluminum, (well, "pot metal" is probably more accurate) these parts of mine were all "reverse plated" to successfully remove the old chrome.

I've also had old chrome sand blasted off, that works quite well too, and can still be polished, but it'll take some work to get the pitting out. In this case Jeff, you might be better off buying good used non-plated parts though, used CB750 covers are cheap, and the removal process can get expensive. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Patrick

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2007, 07:25:29 pm »
A few weeks ago while working on my K0 I was using muriatic acid to derust some steel parts. I accidentally (?) dropped an old carb body into the acid. Wow, like Mentos into Pepsi. The acid immediately boiled up and the carb body sizzled.

It was pretty cool.

Patrick
1970 CB750 K0
1982 VF750S Sabre
1987 VT1100 Shadow
1979 Yamaha XS11
1969 Yamaha DT1B
etc.