Author Topic: First attempts at Polishing Aluminium  (Read 19428 times)

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
First attempts at Polishing Aluminium
« on: January 05, 2008, 10:23:14 pm »
I thought I would get setup and try my hand at polishing a few parts on the bike....seeing I had my bench grinder not doing much for the last umpteen years.....

My outlay was for the following items:

Right Hand Spindle - $19.95
Tripoli Compound - $9.95
White Buff Compound - $12.95
Stitched Buff - $21.95
Calico Loose Buff - $13.95
50 dust masks - $9.95
couple of pairs of cotton gloves @ $1.99

I had one previous item (rocker cover) polished for the cost of $65.00 and thought it was a bit much....considering all the other pieces I want to do...

so let me know if you think they turned out ok

I first used wet & dry grade paper to remove the oxide layer and as many scratches as I could (there are still a lot there) but from 5 feet away you cannot see them too bad, then I used the tripoli twice (then cleaned, wiped over with thinners) then a go over with the white compound on the loose calico.....then just a liquid car polish....

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
Re: First attempts at Polishing Aluminium
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 11:10:12 pm »
Looks good. Fun Hu?  How's your thumb?

"Mothers" Aluminum polish at the end instead of car stuff and it will gleam even better ;D

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 11:14:51 pm »
Looks good. Fun Hu?  How's your thumb?

"Mothers" Aluminum polish at the end instead of car stuff and it will gleam even better ;D

i tried mothers once after rouge, and it dulled the work. never used it again. not sure what grit it's equivalent to, but it seems coarser than the finer wheel compounds.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:30:40 pm »
The thumb is fine.....my hands are sore from gripping the items so they wouldn't slip... I also worked out I was applying too much pressure sometimes.....a little bit of compound every minute or so made the work progress a lot faster than just shoving the part into the buff and hoping it would make the magic shine appear....

every so often I also cleared the buff with the end of a screwdriver for built up compound which seems to clog the wheel and also not as effective .....

thanks for the comments so I will continue now that I think I'm on the right path..

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:41:25 pm »
The more wet sanding you do, the better the results. The buffer is just the candy at the end ;D

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 01:04:20 am »
Belgom Alu is best IMO. Bloody expensive though.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Angiey2002

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 01:53:16 am »
I have done the same as you with attachments on a handheld drill with good results. I was told by someone in the polishing trade that if you use a product called Lime powder after your third stage of polishing it tahes all the shiny buff marks off your casings leaving you with a uniform appearance all over the surface then apply your Belgom Alu for a lasting protective film over all your hard work which i have done with good overall results.
Incidentally, I read somewhere if you cannot get lime powder (I am in UK) you can use talcum powder. I would maybe try a small tester on the back side to see first as I have not tried it myself.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 02:49:19 am »
Looking good Charlie, are you gonna clearcoat them with 2 pack clear  afterwards? If not, you're gonna spend the rest of your life polishing them, and I'm way too lazy for that! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline kirkn

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 05:45:38 am »
Looks good!  Very nice!

I'll agree that the more you wet sand, the better the end results.  Like prepping an auto for paint - prep is everything.

I've just polished some bits on another project bike of mine, ('71 Honda SL125 cafe racer) and I went in stages because they were very rough to start - lots of corrosion.

Aircraft stripper (available from WalMart) to remove the silver-gray OEM paint.  Took several applications.  Wiped it off with water and scotch-brite pads.

Then wet sand in grits of 250, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000.  Then, white rouge on the buffer wheel, then tripoli on another buffer wheel.  Buffer wheel installed on a drill attachment chucked in the cheapie Harbor Freight benchtop drill press at max speed.  Clutch cover, alternator cover, sprocket cover, points cover, valve adjuster caps all got this treatment, and the whole works took one Saturday.

Went from pitting/corrosion/white powder buildup all over to very very nice.

Kirk

tbone

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 06:20:03 am »
Looking good 750!

One suggestion though, buy a buff rake! Your buffs will last longer and if you don't rake the metal bits and old rouge out of them you can actually damage the piece you're trying to polish. I believe www.caswellplating.com sells them along with there extensive line of buffing supplies.

Offline Sweep

• Just remember there are no stupid questions, just some idiot asking them.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 08:39:32 am »
I did my master cylinder today while watching my baby.  I have 3 simple steps.  First I blast the pieces, then use my air buff with white rouge, and then do the final finish by hand with the white cream.  The hand part is the hard part, especially with the small, irregular type things like master cylinder and caliper.
'76 cb750K Wiseco 836|ape crank/head|Carillos|CR29s|Dyna 2k|Kerker
'74 Norton Commando Fastback w/belt and bells

Offline ralt12

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 08:50:35 am »
Nice work. That's the job I've got in front of me with my 550, recovering it from the PO's remarkable "paint" job. You've pointed the way nicely, as have a few other posts recently.  I have a small glass beading booth in my garage, and that really helps with the initial stripping. Lots of care to make sure this media doesn't foul up the works, but it's pretty much ready for 400-600 grit out of the booth.

Offline mgmuellner

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 11:00:15 pm »
I've done all the wet/dry sanding up to 1000.  Tomorrow I'll buy a buff wheel & all that.  What do you do next - clear it?  Can you do that over the compounds? 
73 CB750
69 CB350
73 RD350
73 z50 (2 of em)
01 SV650

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 04:34:32 am »
I've done all the wet/dry sanding up to 1000.  Tomorrow I'll buy a buff wheel & all that.  What do you do next - clear it?  Can you do that over the compounds? 

You'll need to remove any trace of compound/polish/wax etc before you clear it mate, or you'll bugger it. Use thinners and let it dry before you clear it. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline mazingerzeca

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 06:18:51 am »
Looks good!  Very nice!

I'll agree that the more you wet sand, the better the end results.  Like prepping an auto for paint - prep is everything.

I've just polished some bits on another project bike of mine, ('71 Honda SL125 cafe racer) and I went in stages because they were very rough to start - lots of corrosion.

Aircraft stripper (available from WalMart) to remove the silver-gray OEM paint.  Took several applications.  Wiped it off with water and scotch-brite pads.

Then wet sand in grits of 250, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000.  Then, white rouge on the buffer wheel, then tripoli on another buffer wheel.  Buffer wheel installed on a drill attachment chucked in the cheapie Harbor Freight benchtop drill press at max speed.  Clutch cover, alternator cover, sprocket cover, points cover, valve adjuster caps all got this treatment, and the whole works took one Saturday.

Went from pitting/corrosion/white powder buildup all over to very very nice.

Kirk

Your engine looks great! I'm rebuilding a cb 125s right now. Did you powdercoat the barrels and cranckcases?

Offline markb

• When I finish my current project I might be a
  • Master
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 09:04:57 am »
Those covers look good.  I personally go for a more stock look and have found that after removing all the scratches and then polishing and then using medium (maroon) and then fine (light grey) scotchbrite in a straight motion is almost a perfect match on my K0.  I bought one new cover to use as a model and from 2' away I can't tell the difference.  The trick is to get the lines as straight as possible, a little harder on the valve cover though.  Then I had a painter clear coat them with Eastwood's Diamond Clear Extreme.  This stuff is $50 for an 8 oz. can (more than enough to do all the covers on one engine) but the only thing I found that effects it is aircraft remover.  I had to redo one and nothing else would touch it, gas, acetone, didn't change the finsish at all.  It's unbelievable.  You have to shoot them right away and don't touch the cleaned surface without gloves so you don't have any oxidation or finger prints.  Remains to be seen if it yellows with time but it's not supposed to.       
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Offline Tower

• Only at conception could I have been called a
  • Hot Shot
  • My personal time machine: 1973 CB750K3
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 01:09:33 pm »
Everyone seems to understand the basic steps . i.e
1) - 200 - 250 grit paper to remove scratches and oxidation, or alternately glass peening.
2) - 300 - 400 grit to remove the paper scratches of the first sanding
3) - 800 - 1000 grit to remove scratches of previous step and to prepare surface for polishing
4) - optional step: 1500-2000 grit to further prep for polishing
5) - red rouge to remove paper scratches
6) - white rouge to polish
7) - wax to fill and preserve, or in lieu of wax, application of clear polyurethane able to stick to smooth aluminum.

Technique is also important. From my own experience and research, the way to a mirror finish ...
1) Every step must fully remove the imperfections at that level.  The next step will not do it, if the current step hasn't done it. 
2) Its almost impossible to overheat aluminimum if hand polishing, but it is possible to overheat using a high speed polisher, or to score the metal much too deeply.  Slow down that electric buffer for a better result.
3) Wash the piece and your hands between steps.  Do not keep the papers, cloths, pads, or rouges in contact with each other.  Otherwise, the grit from the previous layer will contaminate the current step causing scratches that are too deep.
4) When removing imperfections, don't use circular strokes.  Scratches should all be in the same bi-direction.  Keep strokes short.  Long (over 3") strokes will deepen scratches.  Circular strokes also cause the depth of cut to vary. 
5) Using a lubricant, such as water, turpentine, or mineral spirits will speed up the removal process in one or both of two ways; by suspending residue and hence removing the buildup of residue in the paper and on the surface, and/or by chemically binding with the metal oxides to make them harder (alum oxide is much much harder than alum powder).  Denatured water is safest lubricant and will reduce the risk of scouring the metal.
6) The scratches of one step should be perpendicular, or close to perpendicular, from the direction of the previous step.  This way, you can see when all previous scratches have been removed.
7) In the first polishing step, rouge should be applied with pressure at the beginning of the circular stroke.  This cuts deeper, and essentially removes any remaining paper scratches.  Care must be taken to remove all red rouge before the oxide is suspension begins to scratch the metal again.
8 ) In the final polishing step, white rouge should be applied with pressure at the end of the circular stroke.  This essentially removes polish with each stroke.  Once a pad or cloth is greyed with aluminum, it will begin to scratch the surface.  Aluminum is very soft.  Even cotton will scratch aluminum if too much pressure is used.
9) The final preserving layer is optional. A natural wax, such as carnuba can fill in microscopic scratches left by the polishing pad to make the surface even smoother, as well as helping to prevent oxidation.  Did you know, that the smoother the surface, the slower it will oxidize?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:18:32 pm by Tower »

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 05:34:38 pm »
I have 2 of the 3 side covers done on my KO.  I must admit I am very happy with the results my Craftsman 6 inch buffer gave me.  All I did was strip the clear off with Aircraft Stripper, then used red rouge, green and white.  I did not use Mother's or MAAS at the end as I also have seen it dull the shine.  I finished with MAAS metal protector.  Now I have to get at the stator cover and fork legs.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline GNXFan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 06:46:24 pm »
Those covers look great! Nice job!

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »
John,

Can wait to see the pics of your bike when she's all done and back together. 8)
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 07:25:02 pm »
Well done John, just to keep the balance, the more you do on your K0, the less I'm gonna do on mine! ;D

Offline Jeremiah

• North City Vintage Honda
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 05:56:24 pm »
On Mother's defense, I have to say that I've been using it exclusively for years, and find it works faster and better than any kind of jewelers stick/buffing compounds.     

Offline Burke

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »
I have tried mothers as well. I did not like it either. Left the finish lack luster.
Same way with Chrome polish. Just a cleaner and a wax works for me.

NE550

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 12:29:13 pm »
When your finished polishing, what is the best clear coat to use and where can I find it?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 04:10:06 pm »
I actually use a proper automotive 2 pack (2K) clearcoat mate, it's about the best you can use, but you'll need a compressor and gun, and a good mask, or it'll kill you dead! Cheers, Terry. ;D