Author Topic: How to Paint a Rotor  (Read 1565 times)

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
How to Paint a Rotor
« on: February 05, 2008, 06:14:21 am »
Leaking caliper started the job for me. Now I've stripped the rotor and need to paint it (caliper too eventually). What method looks most like orig. I've heard clear coat over flat black and some others. Pics. too maybe?
Thanks

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: How to Paint a Rotor
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:35:09 pm »
Get some proper caliper paint mate, and do both. It should be a "satin" black (not too matte, not too glossy) and will provide better protection against brake fluid, road salt etc. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:02:40 pm »
Thanks Terry, I hope caliper paint comes in spray cans. I've seen kits that offer brushes but I don't think the calipers would look good with brush strokes. I'll look on-line for some. Thanks again,
Mark in Lexington (KY,USA)

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:28:14 pm »
When I had my caliper rebuilt it came back with a natural finish which means they must have stripped the paint. Looks good so I left it.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:43:44 pm »
Thanks Terry, I hope caliper paint comes in spray cans. I've seen kits that offer brushes but I don't think the calipers would look good with brush strokes. I'll look on-line for some. Thanks again,
Mark in Lexington (KY,USA)

No worries mate, it comes in spray cans, just buy a good brand like VHT etc.

When I had my caliper rebuilt it came back with a natural finish which means they must have stripped the paint. Looks good so I left it.

I'm tempted to do that with my K0 caliper Bobby, the K0 calipers were painted silver, but most of the silver paint has come off mine, so I've decided to rebuild it, and I'll either strip it bare and leave it, or get it powder coated silver.

I've just received my new "phenoloc" brake caliper piston from Kevin, so it's about the right time to order a new seal etc and do something with it. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:49:48 pm »
Dupli-Color low gloss engine enamel with ceramic..
Had brake fluid all over it and didnt come off.
Like powdercoating in a rattle can (love the stuff)...
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline cafe750

• Hot Shot
  • If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 08:09:40 pm »
For calipers and rotors, I use VHT semi-gloss black caliper paint. It gives you the stock color and finish.'
Good Luck!  :)
"It's an old motorcycle, the wind is supposed to blow your head around, it's supposed to leak oil, the brakes should suck, and every now and then, it should scare you so bad you piss your pants."

Roy, Washington

Offline cafe750

• Hot Shot
  • If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 08:09:49 pm »
For calipers and rotors, I use VHT semi-gloss black caliper paint. It gives you the stock color and finish.'
Good Luck!  :)
"It's an old motorcycle, the wind is supposed to blow your head around, it's supposed to leak oil, the brakes should suck, and every now and then, it should scare you so bad you piss your pants."

Roy, Washington

Offline tsflstb

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 08:34:22 pm »
VHT is good stuff.  I used the "Brembo Gold" color...decreased my stopping distances dramatically over the stock black.  I stripped what paint was left on the caliper and stopped worrying about getting fluid everywhere.

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 06:57:13 am »
I like the idea of natural finish but wonder if you guys polished the caliper.
Thanks everyone. I had no idea that the caliper paint came on matte.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 07:21:21 pm »
VHT is good stuff.  I used the "Brembo Gold" color...decreased my stopping distances dramatically over the stock black.  I stripped what paint was left on the caliper and stopped worrying about getting fluid everywhere.

Hey that stuff sounds great mate, can you get it in Nissin "6 Piston black"? I hear that color will just about throw you over the handlebars! ;D