Author Topic: A total beginner's CB550F resurrection...  (Read 38893 times)

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
A total beginner's CB550F resurrection...
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:59:02 pm »
First post blues...

First, a little background. My name's Blake and I'm currently a sophomore at Syracuse University (go Orange!) who has a CB550F at my home in MA. I've been lurking here for a while but I originally came from the Finalgear Forums, where I spouted off about arguably the greatest show in the world, Top Gear.

Because I'm a slightly disturbed individual, I drove to Ohio back in July of 2007 to pick up a 1976 Honda CB550F Super Sport. How many people here have rented a Dodge Caravan and stuffed a motorcycle in the back? It was tough getting it in, especially when the reserve leaked a bit of gasoline out on the carpet. Driving across 400+ miles of Pennsylvania for 10 hours smelling gasoline fumes was hell, and I probably have cancer now (at least I opened the windows and ran the vents). It was a nice scenic drive across the Appalachians though.

These old pictures show the bike the second I unloaded it. The PO had painted the panels flat black, presumably with a brush, and it needed a new battery and the electric start doesn't work. I decided to settle on a full resurrection especially to take care of lots of rust and the infamous head gasket weep, both of which can be seen from these pictures.

(tank was removed so it wouldn't slosh around in the back)

(Keep in mind that these pictures are old and from last summer; I haven't seen fresh green grass since then. Lousy Northeast weather.)

Since then I've done a lot of work, stripping the bike into pieces and going over every last nut and bolt with naval jelly, powdercoating the frame and swingarm, and rebuilding the carburetors. More work to come, but that's just a sneak preview of what's to come.

(This isn't the only spider that was in the bike...scared the crap out of me when it flew out.)

Clearly some stuff happened in between. ;D Right now it's in boxes in my room, as evidenced by this picture...

There's still more work to do, so I'll go into detail later and ask questions here...if you want to see more though then you can go to THIS THREAD that I've been posting in since then. Hopefully you guys won't rip me to pieces TOO badly regarding my lack of experience/knowledge that I'm picking up along the way! ;) Before I embarked on this project I had absolutely NO experience with mechanics, so I'd say I've learned a lot.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:02:47 pm by bzr »
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Re: A total beginner's CB550F resurrection...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 05:10:34 am »
Hopefully you guys won't rip me to pieces TOO badly regarding my lack of experience/knowledge that I'm picking up along the way! ;) Before I embarked on this project I had absolutely NO experience with mechanics, so I'd say I've learned a lot.

Hell, man, that's the way I started, too.   ;D ;D

Nice looking project. You've got a great start. Keep us posted on your progress!!
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline hoodellyhoo

• CB350F
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:36:15 am »
Holy Cow. This thread sounds like it could have been written by me. I'm a junioir at University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. I started resurrecting my bike last summer as well (although mine was in far better shape). And wouldn't you know it, I LOVE Top Gear too. (thank god for finalgear.com). Maybe someday I'll join those forums too.

Best of luck with the bike. Just make sure you remember to do some schoolwork once in a while.
1972 CB350F (Back from the Dead!)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20822.0
1965? S65 - Coming Eventually!
1972 CB750K2 (father-son project)
1976 CB750K6- (sold) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=96859.0
1976 CB750K6 (sold)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62569.0

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:32:25 pm »
Some more pictures:

Went to a local bike shop (F&S Motors, Boylston, nice family-owned business that works on snowblowers and lawn equipment but really has a passion for motorcycles that they keep a secret come winter) to disassemble the forks. I didn't feel like trying to wrench off the allen bolt on the bottom and stripping it, and 50 bucks later I didn't have to.

I'll have to sandpaper this off, if I'm not mistaken...any advice?

Now, something I'm quite proud of. Spent a week on these babies: first washed 31 years of grease off them, then went over each with cheapo 100 grit sandpaper, then 320 and 600 grit before brushing with fine steel wool. The spots on the right one (which is the newer one, I hope I didn't have to tell you that  ;D) are because I just rinsed them off with water.

Did the same with my drum brake housing.

Before:

After:

Later that week (all of this was between mid-December to mid-January, if you're wondering) I went to the local junkyard and found a freshly wrecked 1980 CM400. The front forks were bent backwards so they looked like wishbones, but everything else was immaculate! Lucky me. I was able to snatch a pair of pristine-looking Progressive Suspension shocks:

For only $40 too.

They look like Series 12's to me, and should be rated for my bike. Should they be good for my bike?

Grabbed a pair of badges that fit perfectly as well. Score!

And some souvenirs: :D

(Seriously rare!)

Right now I'm in the middle of taking apart my master cylinder, and I already snapped a screwdriver trying to fish that circlip off (with advice from this site, not your fault, I'm just ham-fisted ???) so I'm going to let the folks at F&S take a stab at it. Also, I'll need to buy new fork seals and dust boots to finally rebuild my front forks.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:37:50 pm by bzr »
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:30:06 am »
(Seriously rare!)

I like the addition of the Candle.   :D

Nice work on the cleaning up. Those fork lowers look good (As does that brake)!!
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 08:51:33 pm »

I like the addition of the Candle.   :D

Thanks, I thought I'd be classy, it IS a Jag-you-warr, after all.  ;D

So the two questions I had in my previous post:

1. What should I do with the ugly fork tubes? (Remember, this is on a college budget.)
2. Should the slick Progressive Suspension shocks I pulled off that bike be good for mine?
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline fishman_Phil

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 10:35:46 pm »
Keep up the good work. The only way to learn is doing but take your time. The polishing looks good. You will be able to sit back and admire it one day and say I did that job, and now I am going to enjoy riding it. Cheers ...
1972 Honda CB350F (2); 1975 CB400F; 1983 CBX400F (1); 1962 Suzuki MA50 (1); Suzuki M15 (3); Suzuki M15Mk2 (2); Suzuki M31 (2); 1936 James H12 (2); 1948 Triumph Speed Twin 500; 1989 Suzuki GSXR250F; Yamaha Chappy (2); alot of work yet to be done.

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 05:13:30 pm »
So the two questions I had in my previous post:

1. What should I do with the ugly fork tubes? (Remember, this is on a college budget.)
2. Should the slick Progressive Suspension shocks I pulled off that bike be good for mine?
ANSWER MY QUESTIONS YOU BASTARDS!!!  >:( (kiddin' ;))

Minor work here, I removed the dorky rubber ends on the bars, then sanded/polished the crud off them. They look a lot better than they do in these bad photos.

My ceramic coated headers.

Next: see how bzr takes care of his carburetors and Tank Kreems the tank!
1976 Honda CB550F

InaneCathode

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 09:10:53 pm »
No! Stop! No kreem!
Friends dont let friends kreem!

Use por 15 or redkote, kreem breaks down rapidly and makes carnage out of your carbs and petcock :O

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 11:37:12 pm »
No! Stop! No kreem!

Use por 15 or redkote, kreem breaks down rapidly and makes carnage out of your carbs and petcock :O

No, Kreem is fine if it is applied properly over a properly prepared tank.  Many try to rush the process and cut corners due to impatience or ignorance, then blame the manufacturer for not making it idiot proof.  Or, accept responsibility for their own incompetence.   (Must always be someone else's fault.)
 Not all amateurs are capable of professional work.  If you can't do a durable paint job, then you probably can't do a proper kreem job either.

I did one, over ten years ago, and it is still working as predicted.  Took more than a weekend to do it, though.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

InaneCathode

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 10:11:27 pm »
Huh, weird. Must be the instructions. I've noticed kreem is the only liner i've seen that breaks down into goo and tiny bits. Por 15, red kote, caswell etc all come off in giant flexible sheets.

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 01:13:02 pm »
No! Stop! No kreem!

Oops, too late. Should have said that 6 months ago.  :-\

Made a plug for my petcock opening with a dowel and my trusty Eagle Scout skillz.

What it looked like initially:

...and I probably made a hash of it.

The results looked kind of sloppy, I spilled lot on the outside which I scraped off but I'm planning on stripping the tank and repainting it anyway. The inside looks pretty good, so I was glad I was finally finished with that.
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 09:39:13 pm »
Here's me taking apart my 4 gleaming Keihins, knowing absolutely NOTHING about carburetors to begin with and kind of improvising everything in a hokey-ass manner.

Atop Chinese newspapers, nonetheless.

I put all the disconnected bits into a cup and doused it with carb cleaner so it could soak overnight, as experts on the Internet say to do.

I didn't bother taking the throttle linkage apart and merely doused that down with carb cleaner. Maybe I should, though, but I soaked that sucker pretty well...

Had two of my friends come over and help me out...I put my friend Mitch to good use cleaning one of my carbs. ;)

"Hey Blake, I think that carb cleaner works really well."
"Oh yeah? What makes you say that?"
"Because it's eating your cup."

Whoops.

So I upgraded.

My buddies. Tom, on the left, rides a Nighthawk 750 and used to drive a 1984 Chevy Celebrity wagon painted matte black (with a brush, presumably) atop 4 gleaming Cragars and random chrome skulls all over the place. Mitch dabbles in SCCA racing and experimented with a Suzuki GS750 for a while. So at least they know what they're doing.

Left them overnight.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:11:27 am by bzr »
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 10:02:03 pm »
You need to push out the emulsion tubes and clean them, too.  They come out the hole where main jet was perched.
If they are well stuck, they should be pushed out from where the throttle slide needle enters them.  The emulsion tube also has the slide needle jet in that end. So, when you push them out, be careful not to distort the Jet needle orifice.
If they don't com out easily, you will have to remove the slides from the carb bodies for straight shot access.

Also, you must prove the slow circuit passageways in the carbs are clear.  Pressurized carb cleaner is what I use, with the plastic tube it comes with.  There are four holes to prove in the carb body.  The air jet, the slow jet, the air bleed needle, and the carb throat exit hole.  Fluid must flow from each to one other hole that is not blocked during the test.  Prove that fluid can pass from each hole to every other hole in turn.

Cheers,

72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 12:33:52 pm »
It looks like you guys are having a great time.  Keep up the great work!

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 08:24:23 am »
So it's the summer again and I've busted out my project again. One quick question before I start doing major work, however: is this grease suitable for use on swingarms? I bought it originally for my carburetor seals.

Coastal Moly EP Grease.
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline Ingrid

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 12:55:24 am »
I don't have a clue on these american brands but at least this post will take the thread beck up to the top of the page :P ::)
Keep up the good work man!!

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 10:50:56 pm »
I don't have a clue on these american brands but at least this post will take the thread beck up to the top of the page :P ::)
Keep up the good work man!!

Well, it was a legitimate question...

I'm assuming it should be fine for swingarms and triple trees. After all, I don't know my grease and I did buy a big tub of the stuff.

In the meanwhile I've got a lot of work planned, starting with my master cylinder rebuild and wheel hubs. I just moved into my new apartment for the summer here in Syracuse and I have to clean out my garage (there's an effin' broken toilet in there, for God's sakes). Anybody else from around here, and know of any good shops?
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 06:01:43 pm »
So I'm staying up here in Syracuse to work two jobs and fund this neverending project, with a deadline of late July for me to get the bike in reassembled, shiny running condition. I'm hoping I can match that...

But first, I had to move everything up to my new apartment.

Hey, it's a Honda in a Honda!  :P

And here's the garage I'll be working in. Crumbling bricks, no light, a manual door with a bicycle lock as its only means of security (that I had to install myself), a folding table I pilfered from home, an improvised cinderblock engine stand atop U-Haul boxes, a leopard-skin ottoman sans padding as my frame stand, and my roommate's Civic.

I call it "The Dungeon".

Granted, this was after I evicted a bunch of half-filled trash cans, a broken toilet, 28 tons of dirt and brick, and enough door frames and windows to finish building the Winchester Mystery House.

My first order of business was to finish the master cylinder, which I had started a while back. I had bought the rebuild kit and had just as much trouble jamming everything back in as I did taking it out. But first, it was pretty ugly, so I had it sandblasted (for free!):

And after attacking it with steel wool and sandpaper:

Next was time to disassemble the wheels. The spokes needed replacing and the rim and hub needed to be cleaned up.

I got a local motorcycle shop to take the tires off.

I knew the rims were rusty as hell, but I had no idea they were this bad:  :o

Oh and hey, the spoke nut and thread broke off. Awesome.

Well, that was exciting.

And joy of joys, I got another one to attack...

The rims are going to be sent out and powdercoated black. I'll have to replace the spokes for 100 bucks a set, and I'll just polish the hubs. Should be exciting, I'll keep you posted.

And earlier today, I decided to make my own gauge faces to replace the cracked, ugly, and uncoordinated ones that were already on there.

Did these in a vector drawing in Xara, based on this thread and these scans, and they came out great.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:17:58 pm by bzr »
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 06:32:57 pm »
Those gauge faces look to be for a 750, not a 550.  If your existing tach has that redline, it's for a 750 and will not read correctly with the 550 cable drive speed.

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 09:10:41 pm »
Ah hell, I went ahead and did the rear wheel too...

Now I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Kinda made a mess...it's a good look, I like it.  ;)

(was a lot harder to photograph than you may think)

By the way, can anybody in the Central NY area recommend a good powdercoater?

Those gauge faces look to be for a 750, not a 550.  If your existing tach has that redline, it's for a 750 and will not read correctly with the 550 cable drive speed.
Those were straight from spwg's vector scans; I can adjust the range that the red triangle encompasses. I've redrawn it after looking at a picture of the gauges from a brochure scan:

1976 Honda CB550F

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 06:10:59 pm »
I know this thread doesn't get many replies, but bear with me anyway. I'm at a crossroads here, and it's frustrating because I fear I may have run out of motivation.

I've spent approx. 400 dollars since late May trying to get this thing back on the road. Most of that went to steering head bearings, new spokes (200 bucks), powdercoating rims, new brake parts, and a fervent love of Taco Bell. But still, it never seems enough.

The engine definitely needs painting. The casing has been yellowed from 30+ years of grease and there are quarter-sized chunks of missing paint all over. The rear is covered in mysterious blemishes, like the Great Red Spot on Jupiter. I didn't even realize the bottom was supposed to be silver until I started attacking it with Scotchbrite and Purple Power (my local Home Depot ran out of Simple Green :(). So, here's another headache for me, and potentially another money trap.

The question now is, do I take the engine to a shop or do I buy a can of engine paint and go at it myself?

It's especially difficult because of my personal feelings - this is MY bike, and I want to do most of the work on it. This definitely shouldn't be a restoration driven by signing off checks: my blood, sweat, and tears should be noticeable on every square inch of the machine. I enjoy the pride of working on it, of polishing my master cylinder until it looks better than new, of tearing into new carb rebuild kits and getting my hands dirty on wheel disassembly until they look like they do in the previous post. That's what this project was supposed to be about.

But lately I've been writing bigger and bigger checks out of frustration and paranoia that I can't do it right, and I'll pay for it down the line. Granted, most of them have been for powdercoating and parts, but I'm questioning whether I should do the same with the engine. I haven't the slightest idea on how I would go about painting an engine; what parts I would need to mask off, what aluminum pieces I would have to polish afterwards, etc. I'm already starting to look up answers here, but I'm not so sure of my own abilities in the matters of painting such an important part.

I don't want to spend any more money, but I know that's just a farcical pipe dream. The only question is, how much do I want to spend? I already promised myself that I would tackle repainting the tank and side covers myself, courtesy of the 50 Dollar Paint Job. At this point, inevitably, I just want to get effin' riding already, and my roommate's GS500F is seriously tempting me.

There's other parts of the project I can tackle immediately: my All Balls tapered steering head bearings recently came in, and I'll be pounding out the races sometime this week. I'm eagerly anticipating my rims to come back from the coaters so I can start rebuilding the rims, which will be fun (and truing them, which will be another big check I'll have to write). My self-designed gauge faces (that I'm really, really proud of :D) are another matter. But the engine is, well, a rather important component in the game. So now I'm not so sure.

The damn upstate NY heat wave doesn't do me any favors either. Your thoughts?

Before today's polishing:

After:

Missing chunks of paint

Head gasket ugliness

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:14:38 pm by bzr »
1976 Honda CB550F

trav72

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 06:30:58 pm »
Get some high temp spray paint from Pep Boys/Autozone etc. and paint it.  Just make sure you degrease it.  I used simple green and a fine wire wheel for my drill.  I think it came out damn good.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 06:37:19 pm »
Buddy, you've already done more work on your bike than most have (including me) in total so you should give your self credit where it's due.

So what if you have to farm out some of the work? If you can afford to there are any number of legitimate reasons for doing so so there's nothing to be ashamed about. Just don't bankrupt your self.

Try to keep in mind that ultimately this is about fun. When it ceases to be- take a breather for a while.

I have experience with cars and not motorcycles; I would often takes financial and spiritual breaks from a project. Better that then killing any and all fun. Fun costs money and there's no two ways about it so if cash gets tight take the opportunity to relax. If you are a beginner you have to accept that it may not measure up to your dreams. But it's OK as these machines are often a work in progress.

For crying out loud be proud of how far you've come and don't lose heart.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:39:32 pm by Ecosse »
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline fishman_Phil

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 11:40:13 pm »
Hang in there mate. Doing it yourself is gratifying and rewarding in the long run, but as with anything, do not be afraid to ask for help. At least being part of this forum is always going to be a plus for anyone. The members have so much to offer, and asking questions is good as well, because ultimately it will help the quieter ones or provide information for those that come up against similar issues in the future. You are really going well. Keep it up and as it has been said before enjoy doing it. Take a rest when ever you feel it is required and do not rush it.
Cheers ... Phil in NZ
1972 Honda CB350F (2); 1975 CB400F; 1983 CBX400F (1); 1962 Suzuki MA50 (1); Suzuki M15 (3); Suzuki M15Mk2 (2); Suzuki M31 (2); 1936 James H12 (2); 1948 Triumph Speed Twin 500; 1989 Suzuki GSXR250F; Yamaha Chappy (2); alot of work yet to be done.