Author Topic: Spy satellite.  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: Spy satellite.
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 08:26:04 pm »
I think the easyest way to do it would have been to plant a radio activated bomb in the thing before sending it into space.

I realise that weight is the essence in these Sat's but what would a small blob of Semtex and a triggering device weigh.

Plus it wouldn't miss like the missile might.

Sam  ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline aptech77

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 08:27:37 pm »
Just heard on the Chicago news, JUST NOW, it was shot down earlier. 100 miles up........blammmmo...RIP

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 08:31:41 pm »
I wonder if it would have been visible from earth ?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline mattcb350f

• Hardly a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB350F
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 08:32:40 pm »
That would have been cool to see...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/02/20/satellite.shootdown/index.html?pc=no_id

Now there are thousands of little satellites to worry about. :-[

Matt.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:59:22 pm by mattcb350f »
1974 CB350F,  1980 CB125S,  1981 XL80S
Non Honda's: 86 & 87 Husqvarna 400wr's

My CB350F resto: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=30467.0
Gallery at:
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=298318

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 08:52:39 pm »
Matt, there are no satellites where this one was, it was near as damn it back into the atmosphere.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 07:14:01 am »
Um, no.  I'm very clearly a skeptic, not a paranoid.  And, just so you know, a paranoid is worse.

Ed, I don't know what is worse; a skeptic or a paranoid.  But you seem to have hit both ends of the spectrum in one sentence.
Having been a kid during the Cold War, we did all the drills in school and it really had an effect on us. We were told by our Teachers it could happen any minute. Then the Cuban Missle Crisis came. I never saw my old man drink more beer either before or since. That stuff stays with you stuck somewhere in the back of your mind.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline SD750F

• Master
    • My Business Site
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 07:36:07 am »
Being an engineer, I find the whole lead-up and concluding story issued by our current government too convenient. Hydrazine is a toxic compound composed from Hydrogen and Nitrogen. Yes it is used as a fuel, it is also used as a foam blowing agent all over the United States, everyday! So was the tank for this fuel made out of refractory materials that was designed for re-entry? Must have been considering the concern about the fuel surviving the high temperatures of punching its way through our atmosphere... And get this, the boiling point of Hydrazine is 113°C or 235°F!

Here is the warning with respect to exposure:
"Symptoms of acute (short-term) exposure to high levels of hydrazine may include irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, dizziness, headache, nausea, pulmonary edema, seizures, coma in humans. Acute exposure can also damage the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system. The liquid is corrosive and may produce dermatitis from skin contact in humans and animals. Effects to the lungs, liver, spleen, and thyroid have been reported in animals chronically exposed to hydrazine via inhalation. Increased incidences of lung, nasal cavity, and liver tumors have been observed in rodents exposed to hydrazine."
And there has been only ONE death caused by Hydrazine exposure, one... I think bees have killed more...???

The Space Shuttle has hydrazine on board inside the APUs and they even have special "sniffing" devices and big fans to blow away Hydrazine as well as other gases after every landing. So if this is so dangerous, why would NASA blow the stuff into the wind???

Okay, my thoughts are these. One maybe some technical hardware might survive reentry that some rouge government might be able to use... Sure! And my CB750 is worth $1M! I think the real story is that the satellite had a nuclear thermal to electric power core used for part, or all of it's power needs. And they knew where the de-orbit was going to take place... Somewhere were they didn't want it to, like American soil.

Food for thought, and my two cents...

Scott
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:26:06 pm by SD750F »

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

Having been a kid during the Cold War, we did all the drills in school and it really had an effect on us. We were told by our Teachers it could happen any minute. Then the Cuban Missle Crisis came. I never saw my old man drink more beer either before or since. That stuff stays with you stuck somewhere in the back of your mind.
[/quote]

Bobby, I remember that stuff too! A number of folks bought bomb shelters (not o be confused with "Storm Shelters") also.

Later on, Bill :) ;)   
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 02:37:37 pm »
Remember this one?

Like it would make a difference.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.