Author Topic: How to remove a stripped allen bolt  (Read 9620 times)

76 cb550

How to remove a stripped allen bolt
« on: April 09, 2008, 06:24:52 pm »

1. Hammer a torx (star) bit into the stripped allen bolt hole.
2. turn (in short bursts...not constant pressure)
3. drink

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: How to remove a stripped allen bolt
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 06:31:39 pm »
Good tip mate, obviously if the head was "proud" of the surface you'd just grab it with some locking pliers and turn it.

I've previously ground the next size larger allen key down at an angle and hammered it in like a wedge for similar results, but of course, it buggars a good allen key. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

76 cb550

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:38:29 pm »
yeah but this was on the forks.  I couldn't even get my ezouts to reach it.  I like the allen bit trick.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 09:13:16 pm »
Yeah, the worse thing with forks is that due to the head of the screw being a pretty tight fit anyway, the "Steel to alloy" electrolysis can make it almost impossible to get that bugger out.

I've previously drilled the head right off one, and that worked ok too. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline City Boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 05:43:51 am »
To avoid the electrolysis,I have for many years now had a policy;no bolt installed without copper anti-seize.This includes auto wheel nuts that the OEM's say to install dry.I torque em,drive,check again.Never has a nut loosened.Rock On
'52 Kiekhaefer Mercury Rocket Hurricane KG4H
'70 750/RC 1000 Original Owner
'83 1100F

troppo

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 06:13:05 am »
To avoid the electrolysis,I have for many years now had a policy;no bolt installed without copper anti-seize.This includes auto wheel nuts that the OEM's say to install dry.I torque em,drive,check again.Never has a nut loosened.Rock On
+1 spent years working on coaches and the diesel mechanics swear by the stuff, not a nut or bolt gets put in without a smear of it
cheers
troppo

Offline swan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 06:19:50 am »
If this is the notorious allen bolt at the base of the fork slider in the axle holder, loosen it while the forks are still assembled. Better yet, use a racheting strap to compress the fork and then turn the allen bolt. Heat helps too.

One of the best tools for removing old screws is an impact screwdriver. Paid $5.00 for mine and has save much time, money, effort and countless "easy out" screw removers. Trash the old screws and replace them with anti-seize covered allen screws.
1975 CB400 F cafes, 1974 CB750 K4 Cafe, 1966/1976 Triumph/ Norton Triton Cafe and 1962 DBD34 BSA Gold Star Clubman.

CB750 build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=52551.0

76 cb550

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:09:20 am »
The innards of the fork turning wasn't a problem.  I left the fork assembled while removing the bolt.  I will pick up some antisieze I've been meaning to for a while now.

I used an impact driver...no effect.  I also used a pneumatic impact driver.  Oh I used a heat gun on it too.  Seems it was destined to strip.

I've actually never successfully used my impact driver...I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Off the top of anyones head do you guys know the specs on that bolt (or how I can find them out)?  I'm going to pick one (or two) up today

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 05:30:08 pm »
Off the top of my poor old muddled head, I think it's an 8mm x 1.25 thread Paul, (check the parts manual in the FAQ section) make sure you get some nice new copper washers to avoid any fork oil leaks too. Cheers, Terry. ;D 

76 cb550

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 09:42:24 pm »
I don't know what copper washers you are talking about?  Is there a copper washer press fitted into that hole that I haven't found yet?

I couldn't find a bolt with a shoulder like the one that came out of the fork.  The more I think about it the less I think it will work without the shoulder.  I'm not positive but I think the split washer that goes on the bolt sits against that shoulder...That sucks cause I'm outta places to get that bolt.  I went to every auto parts place and hardware store in a 30minute radius....I even went to the dealership.  Not sure what I'm gonna do if the shoulderless bolt won't work.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 02:49:44 am »
Yeah mate, there should be a copper washer to seal the oil in, but if you're using new bolts, you should use new washers too, or as a "down and dirty" fix, smear some Threebond 1194 around the threaded portion closest to the head of the bolt to seal the oil in.

You might need to go to an engineers supply to get some bolts like the OEM ones. Cheers, Terry. ;D

76 cb550

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 11:30:58 am »
I just took a look at the fiche and all I see is the split washer...no copper gasket like on the exhaust.  Am I missing something?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 04:58:05 pm »
I don't have a parts manual in front of me mate, but are you saying there's a split washer, aka, a spring washer?

I've never seen one on CB750 forks, but if you're talking about a 550, you'll have to excuse my ignorance of the model. The 750's have a copper washer to seal the oil in. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 05:06:16 pm »
I don't have a parts manual in front of me mate, but are you saying there's a split washer, aka, a spring washer?

I've never seen one on CB750 forks, but if you're talking about a 550, you'll have to excuse my ignorance of the model. The 750's have a copper washer to seal the oil in. Cheers, Terry. ;D

The Parts Manual calls it "WASHER, SPECIAL, 8MM" with part number "90544-283-000".  I'm not so familiar with 550's either, but I can't remember a split washer being stock anywhere on a 750.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 05:28:05 pm »
There is no copper washer on the Allen bolt in the bottom of my 550's forks.  I can't swear that they're supposed to be like that (14 previous owners), but they dont leak :)

So far :-\
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

76 cb550

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 05:28:37 pm »
I again am forced to apologize.

It is a copper washer and it is not a split washer.  I apologize for making you look it up cause I was too sure of my self to take a second look.

In any case I have ordered new bolts, washers and a set of gaskets for the oil removal bolts (even though they don't leak).

Thanks again.  Hopefully I'll look before I question you guys again.

EDIT: there is suppose to be a copper washer there crispyduck...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 05:32:34 pm by 76 cb550 »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 06:01:34 pm »
Don't beat yourself up Paul, there are guys here who make mistakes all the time! (not me of course...............)  ;D

76 cb550

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 06:51:23 pm »
so....who's paul?

I'm not beating myself up too much...just trying to be humble when I make a mistake so that your more willing to help me in the future.  Hmm is being humble for selfish reasons still a good thing?

landon

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 08:49:24 pm »
You missed the subtle irony of my reply mate, but what the hell, subtlety is over-rated, ha ha!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 01:31:48 am by Terry in Australia »

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 04:07:09 am »
EDIT: there is suppose to be a copper washer there crispyduck...

Typical ::)

Oh well, I need to take the forks apart anyway :)

Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

76 cb550

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 11:08:02 am »
Ah.  I see.  Now that I'm looking for it it's obvious =)

Crispyduck: typical is the right word.  I'm amazed at the number of tiny parts that have gone missing on my bike over the past 30 years and god knows how many owners.

Maxx

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 08:37:57 am »

1. Hammer a torx (star) bit into the stripped allen bolt hole.
2. turn (in short bursts...not constant pressure)
3. drink
I wanted to say thanks for this little bit of tech.  I used it this weekend to remove a stripped out grub screw that had been giving me the fits.

76 cb550

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 01:32:42 pm »
crispy duck...that washer may be hiding at the top of the bolt.  I thought I was missing the washers that went on the frok oil drain bolts but they were just stuck at the very top of the bolt. 

Maxx:  I'm really glad that I was able to help you out there.  I love hearing how my frustration has made life easier for others.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 07:11:26 pm »
I want Maxx's points cover! ;D