Author Topic: valve adjustment for 81 cm400  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Quail "Owner of the comfortable k8"

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
valve adjustment for 81 cm400
« on: April 11, 2008, 12:30:41 pm »
I just got this bike an the vavles are so loud that I want to get them adjusted so I can hear what this engine really sounds like.  Does anyone know the proper valve settings.  My manual will not be in for another week and I would like to run it a little.
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.

Offline BlindJoe

• Expert
Re: valve adjustment for 81 cm400
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:24:10 pm »
Valve Clearance

Intake: 0.08-0.12mm (0.003-0.005 in.)

Exhaust: 0.12-0.16mm (0.005-0.006 in.)

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:42:53 pm »
I forgot to tell you thanks.  do you have this bike.  I set the velve but still have a ticking sound on the right side of the engine.
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.

Offline aptech77

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:31:55 pm »
I have one. Sound like something's not right.

Offline BlindJoe

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 10:30:22 pm »
Cam chain needs tensioned maybe?

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 07:40:24 pm »
I have the clymer manual  :( and the one thing I did want to check is the balance shaft tensioner.  I took out the plug and i can see the nut that you would loosen to adjust it but it has locking tabs around it and the boo does not mention the locking tabs.  Plus it looks like the tensioner is at the max postion.  I just got this bike have not ridden it, it has less than 18k and is clean as a pin.  last owner had it 10 years and never road it.  Any thoughts?  The ticking noise sound like several loose valve adjusters ( I am a Subaru tech have been for 30 years).  No miss just the ticking, tick rate seems to go with the cam rotation.  All I have done is pull the valvecover to make sure oil was flowing due to time it sat up.  Valves were spot on.

Offline BlindJoe

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 08:06:51 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't the balancer shaft only be adjusted with the crankcases split? I don't think that being out of position would cause the noise in the top end you are describing. Have you tried adjusting the cam chain tension yet?