Author Topic: My '79 CB650  (Read 39963 times)

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
  • Yes its a Honda You got an F'in problem with that?
Re: My '79 CB650
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2009, 08:29:31 am »
Anyone know if Hondaman ever hooked us up with something to replace the stock igniters?
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2009, 01:49:26 pm »
Replace the entire system with GM HEI.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=53773.0
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2009, 05:11:08 pm »
Odd my post yesterday didn't make to the site... ??

Anyways.....
Bikes running great again.
Today at work a 3 foot section of pipe was blown into my bike and cracked my left rear turn signal, and knocked my bike into the side of the building.

As well as I noticed somehow I lost a nut for my rear suspension over the past week.
Wonder how long I had rode on that...... ???

Today it was so darned windy and dusty I now know exactly where there is any errant oil on my motor/frame.....

I feel sorry for my chain having to ride in 50 miles of that crud....
Gonna take it off tonight, soak it, and hope most of the dust comes off.

I'm bring a rag to work just to cover the chain from now on.
Not to mention not parking ANYWHERE near the yard anymore, mabey between the machine shop and the storage building away from any material storage, wind, or traffic.

And yesterday I saw a NASTY accident.
Basically a SUV tagged a bike rider, and he careened into the concrete barrier between the north and southbound traffic.
Poor guy looked like his left shoulder was coming out his back....
I stopped, and did what I could for the guy...
I don't own a cell phone, so I waited until a police officer stopped, and until the ambulance got there as well.
I basically kept him from trying to go look at his bike(totaled, front end got separated from the frame) or wandering into traffic.
I was afraid he had major damage(besides his shoulder) and would hurt himself more if he moved around any.

Good thing he was wearing armored coat and pants as well as a helmet.
I'd hate to think how it would have ended otherwise.

Today I saw a topper off a van go flying and spill it's contents all over the road.
I only ran over a (?) box of baby wipes.
The wind was NASTY today... my neck hurts from the wind pushing on it for 50 miles.
I just realized I will be putting 5-600 miles a week just going to work and back.

What a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But at least I'll be getting 20 or so hours of OT for the next month or two.

Peace and grease all.

(this is becoming more of a daily blog than a build huh?)

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2009, 05:15:13 pm »
that's ok.  my thread was like that, too.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

ferrarcj

« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2009, 06:02:23 pm »
What rear swingarm are you using to gain an 1 or 2 in the rear? Im looking into doing the same thing but am having trouble finding any that will bolt right up.

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2009, 07:12:31 pm »
We're pulling for ya Soos, maybe you should look at how you can get better mileage for the bike, 600 miles is some gas mate! :)
Good work on helping a fellow biker too, it's always nasty when car meets bike....you watch yourself out there mate.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2009, 07:54:55 pm »
Please tell me the suv had the decency to stop? I've decided that I'm gonna keep a first aid kit in my bike trunk for crap like that. Gauze, and just the basics, I'm not trained as an EMT but have injured myself pretty good before so I know how to take care of ugly wounds.

The wind today is unreal, I've always wondered if the Native Americans ever had their teepees fly away in weather like this.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2009, 08:21:52 pm »
...well... that's actually why their teepees are shaped the way they are.  There was some site somewhere that explained the evolution of the plains teepee, and how the angle actually made wind push down on it and keep it in place to a certain degree.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2009, 06:27:19 am »
As long as there wasn't TeePee failure...  Snap!.... OH SH.....*squish*  :D
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2009, 08:49:41 am »
Anyone know if Hondaman ever hooked us up with something to replace the stock igniters?

Someone with a 650 here in Denver area was supposed to come by so I could try my ignition out with his bike. He's never showed up, yet...  :(  Maybe one of these weekends?

I think it will work, but I might need to add a diode to the input circuit to guarantee longevity (they have a 5-year warranty, want to make sure it beats that!).

If anyone else on this thread has a 650 with the electronics, and can come by for the test, I'd like to see you....  ???
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2009, 05:22:17 pm »
What rear swingarm are you using to gain an 1 or 2 in the rear? Im looking into doing the same thing but am having trouble finding any that will bolt right up.

Not much I have non-stock on my '79 cb650 was a direct bolt on except the dual disk setup I snagged off a '79 DOHC cb750.

hold on, I know I made a post on the swingarm mod I did....
(off to search it for the link)
here ya go.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27663.0

Like many other posts of mine it wanders a bit, but explains the process.(pretty much)
If confused ask away.
Any machinist worth his weight in elephant farts should be able to do it for you.
All that work for about a 3/4" longer swingarm......
(from that thread)
Only 3/4" longer overall.
However since the suspension mount points are further back(VS. the '79 stock swingarm) it lowered the rear end a noticeable amount
Here is the only post I can find where I posted the amount it lowered the rear end of my '79 with the '81 swingarm.
Not as tall, but at 5'11" and 165lbs, my '79cb650 fits me like a glove(rear was lowered 1" with longer swingarm)
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36035.0

Good luck.

Good luck Hondaman, and glad to hear you are working on one for the 650's!!
Can't believe he didn't show up.
Oh well.
Perhaps if you still have on your shelf the future I might buy it to try it out.
(after I get those 66mm pistons stuffed in my next motor, I keep dreaming about a 763cc cb650!! I LOVE the idea of a sleeper motor.)

Please tell me the suv had the decency to stop? I've decided that I'm gonna keep a first aid kit in my bike trunk for crap like that.
Yeah they did, as well as a few drivers that got hit by flying debris.

I gotta work tomorrow.... At least the current boss (i've worked there before) is impressed with my ability to run the VTL, horiz. bar and the big horiz. lathe.
I'm hoping my "readjustment" of my wages in 3 months gets me near my last pay.....
I took a $4+ cut in pay when I took this job.
Then if you factor in loss of family time, gas, wear and tear on the vehicles...
Probably more like $6-7 an hour loss.
Not to mention I will no longer be getting a yearly bonus.
And that was the equivalent of $1.00 an hour (roughly).
god... this economy right now sucks.

Anyways, I'm off to re-lube my chain

Peace and grease,

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2009, 06:59:17 pm »
Hondaman, if by some weird fluke no one visits by next year, I'll make a special trip just to check it out and possibly get one. hehe, maybe I'll even have you redo my swingarm at the same time  ;D I'd be a good excuse to go on a long roadtrip (well, long for me at least.)

Soos, ride safe man, and everyone else too. I'm tired of reading of riders getting hurt or worse.

Keep the shiney side up.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2009, 09:21:46 pm »
Hondaman, if by some weird fluke no one visits by next year, I'll make a special trip just to check it out and possibly get one. hehe, maybe I'll even have you redo my swingarm at the same time  ;D I'd be a good excuse to go on a long roadtrip (well, long for me at least.)

Soos, ride safe man, and everyone else too. I'm tired of reading of riders getting hurt or worse.

Keep the shiney side up.

Brandon

Cool! It would be a great ride form over there: done it myself more than once.  :D

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2009, 04:21:21 am »
Cool! It would be a great ride form over there: done it myself more than once.

I agree it would be a lot of fun, and it would be cool to meet another sohc4 member. Heh, even if someone beats me to it, I might make the trip anyhow :D . I really gotta get my bike done so I can meet up with some of the others in the area and go riding.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2009, 08:48:30 pm »
Cool! It would be a great ride form over there: done it myself more than once.

I agree it would be a lot of fun, and it would be cool to meet another sohc4 member. Heh, even if someone beats me to it, I might make the trip anyhow :D . I really gotta get my bike done so I can meet up with some of the others in the area and go riding.

Brandon

There sure seems to be a bunch of "us" around here: I've worked on 6 bikes so far this summer from other members around town.  :o

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2009, 04:36:40 am »
There sure seems to be a bunch of "us" around here: I've worked on 6 bikes so far this summer from other members around town.  :o

That's cause you are "Hondaman, fixer of all that went wrong!" (you have to say it in that announcer superhero voice, it sounds better ;) ) I think it would be cool to have a big Four Corners SOHC4 get together or something, obviously any member is invited from anywhere, just a fun title.

What would be the advantage of your electonic ignition over the stock 650 ignition. I understand the advantage of the one you made for bikes with points, but since this one is already electronic? I am just curious, if you build it i have no doubt it's worth getting, just wondering the advantages. (haha, hows that for brown nosing  ;D ) Seriously though, I'm just looking for a good excuse and destination for a long ride and this is as good as they come.

Soos, hope the new job is keeping you busy and the riding is safe!

Keep the shiney side up,

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2009, 05:01:12 am »
For one thing the Hondaman ignition wouldn't melt all over the airbox.  :P

#2 its not 30 years old  ;D
Project Rina

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2009, 06:57:52 am »
For one thing the Hondaman ignition wouldn't melt all over the airbox. 

haha, ok, thats a good point. More wondering about performance or reliability improvements. I don't really understand how either of them works, mostly because I haven't tried  ::)

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2009, 07:27:17 am »
Another thing is you can use hot dyna coils with a resistor pack.

Mostly if your igniters are toast sometimes its difficult to find good ones that arn't melted already.  
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:43:43 pm by razor02097 »
Project Rina

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2009, 04:35:56 pm »
Well...

I got one HELLUVA deal lately.

A guy at work gave me bored out 750 carbs he used on his 750 when he was in his 20's.
He said he got bored with stock carbs and couldn't justify buying the carbs he wanted.(he splurged on a cam)
He did the bore job himself, and (says) he made a set of sliders for them.
He sold the bike long ago, but couldn't give up the carbs.

Well he rides no longer, and I guess he wanted to pass on a unique item on to someone who enjoys moddifying bikes like he does.(to squeeze out all the power for the lowest $$ invested.)
I showed up at work to find these on my toolbox, and Marc smiling like a car salesman.

I initially thought he was gonna ask $$ for them(and a good price at that), and he GAVE them to me!(you would have to meet marc, he talkes like a used car salesman most of the time, and the rest of the time, like a drunk foulmouthed sailer)

I ended up gifting the 750 carbs I had to manjisann just to pass on the random act of good will to another SOHC rider.

Well I gotta work tomorrow, c u all l8r

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2009, 08:49:06 pm »
I ended up gifting the 750 carbs I had to manjisann just to pass on the random act of good will to another SOHC rider.

And they will be very well loved! I bet I've told a dozen people about "The Awesomeness that happend to me on Thursday!"  ;D Thanks again Soos! Ride safe!

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline checkflag

• Enthusiast
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2009, 10:11:09 pm »
need more pics..
1979 cb650. Mac 4-1 exhaust. Soon>> cb750 carbs.

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2009, 02:34:40 pm »
If I could find the wifes camera I would.

To say the least they are gummed up, in serious need of a thorough cleaning, and a gasket kit.

I measured the bores at work today, and they measure 29.7mm across all 4.
Strange though, the sliders look stock though. Mabey he kept under 30mm to not have to replace the stock sliders(is that the right term??).

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2009, 05:02:43 pm »
She's hidden it bro, doesn't want anymore of your handsome photos appearing on the net. :D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2009, 06:41:47 pm »

Someone with a 650 here in Denver area was supposed to come by so I could try my ignition out with his bike. He's never showed up, yet...  :(  Maybe one of these weekends?

I think it will work, but I might need to add a diode to the input circuit to guarantee longevity (they have a 5-year warranty, want to make sure it beats that!).

If anyone else on this thread has a 650 with the electronics, and can come by for the test, I'd like to see you....  ???
Yes it was me.  Seems our scedule never agreed.   I have been to a couple sohc4/Denver rusted nuts meets kinda close to your place.
Did I miss you there?   ;D
I'm still here if you want to make it to me.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker