Author Topic: cafe tank and seat  (Read 1254 times)

jeffery

cafe tank and seat
« on: April 26, 2008, 11:31:26 pm »
I am new to this forum.  I have a question regarding cafe tank and seat mounting.  I have noticed that on some bikes, depending on the tank and seat that is used, that there is a gap at the seat-tank junction due to the cutaway in the backside or rear of the tank.  How do you go about filling in this area so that this big hole isn't visible.  Some builders have done a very good job of filling in this area but I can't tell if a piece has been welded to the tank or there is some kind of an extension of the seat pan filling this area.  I have a metal tank and a fiberglass cafe style seat.  Any input would be appreciated.
                                                                                     Thanks Jeffery
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 11:37:13 pm by jeffery »

troppo

Re: cafe tank and seat
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 11:44:31 pm »
Well if you know how to `glass, it not too hard.
Mark the tank with a chinagraph pencil or something similar (easy to wipe off), then take the seat off the bike and lay strips of masking tape over the tank well past the area marked with the pencil (better to cover more than you think you will need than not enough), now sand the front section of the seat fairly heavily with a course paper (back through the gelcoat to fibreglass is best) and fit the seat to the bike and sit on it so it will settle to the position it will be in when you are riding and mark around the seat on the masking tape with a pencil.
Get off and strap the seat down untill the seat and marks on the tank match up. Now rub the masking tape with a candle or brush mould release over it, then lat up some `glass and let it cure.
Once it has cured remove the seat form the bike and trim the new `glass until you have a gap of at least 3 mm (1/8th inch) between the tank and the new section of seat (prevents the seat chaffing the tank and damaging the paint-work).
Use a little body filler and prime and you are ready for paint.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Troppo

jeffery

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 12:38:27 am »
Thanks for the response.  The area I was referring to is the open area caused by the gas tank tunnel.  This is the open area that will be exposed when I slide my seat into place.  Can the same fix be applied?  I don't want to use much padding on the seat when I cover it although I know that this is going to help close up the hole somewhat as the padded seat will add some height and help eliminate or hide the area,  but I think there will still be a little gap showing.                                       

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:49:09 am by jeffery »

troppo

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 12:42:53 am »
It sure can, just make sure you use a few layers of `glass to make sure its strong and wont break off. You`ll have a "custom" seat and not just a off the shelf unit, always better in my thoughts lol.

jeffery

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 07:13:44 am »
Thanks again. Is there a tutorial somewhere here on laying glass.  Unfortunately I have never worked with glass before.  I was looking at a neat little honda on ebay (with about 6 hrs. left) #320242534738 that looks like the open area between the seat and tank had 2 bolts there although I can't really see it well enough to tell how the owner addressed this empty area.  It looks like some sort of metal plate.  Maybe an extension of the metal seat pan filled this area?
                                                           Jeffery

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 07:19:18 am »
Can you post pics of your setup, or at least references to pics that show the type of gap you're referring to?

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline number13

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 CB500, 2002 VT750DC
    • Sound Exchange
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 10:01:01 am »
Have look at some of the work by a fellow forum member,
Benji's Cafe Racers:

http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/combo2.html

His beautiful seat/tank combos look like the
fit you are trying to achieve
Bikes parked out front mean good chicken-fried steak inside.