Author Topic: Squirley's 550 CAFE Build  (Read 157586 times)

Offline brady0706

• Pics of my '77 CB550 K
Re: Squirley's 550 CAFE Build
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2008, 06:00:41 pm »
This bike is lookin' really tight and sounds tough! Keep up the good work. This is the first I am seeing the inverted forks. Any risk in doing this?

scratch

« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2008, 08:06:57 am »
Where can I get that exhaust?

Offline texaninseattle

• lots of protein in my
  • Enthusiast
  • OHH Canada
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2008, 10:57:42 am »
i was wondering the same thing
1978 Cb550k(Sold)
emgo pods
mac 4-1
105 mains
stock pilots
needles set 1 step richer than stock
IMS 2 turns out
1982 Suzuki GS850g

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2008, 11:18:44 am »
OK tex... give with the details! Me and some others want to know details, larger images, address, etc... of your avatar!

We can make this easy, or we can make this hard.

;D
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2008, 03:04:54 pm »
I'm with ecosse on that!
 ;)
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2008, 03:54:04 pm »
Don't make us sick firecracker and seaweb on ya.  Give it up texaninseattle.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2008, 10:46:33 am »
i've seen a larger version in the babe thread, ...... good luck finding it tho

oh, and stop thread hijacking ;D

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2008, 09:26:54 am »
Ok, things are starting to get buttoned up.  The tank and seat are out for paint, and I have started what was hopefully the last rebuild stage of the bike.  However...

I was going to keep the color scheme quiet, but the initial idea for the bike was to go with the gold and black theme.  I was going to black everything out, aside form the gold that you see on the front end, and a gold powder coated frame. 
I decided on a color gold and had the frame poweder coated.  However, after recieving the frame back from the PC'er, the color has turned out more of a 24karot gold color rather than a more dark, yellow gold like the color specified (like that of the front brake calipers).  Even though I was disatisfied with the turnout color and quality, the PC'er wont respray as he has to order the gold.  I have begun to assemble the bike in hopes that the color would grow on me...but it is not...not at all.  Without the gold matching and blending in with the front, there is too much going on.

Here is my question.  I am still keeping the gold black theme but I have a couple options.

1)  Keep the frame the color it is, assemle the bike and see what it looks like
    -downside: I am having the tank and seat painted a high gloss black but am thinking of having some gold (thin)     stripes put on teh tank and seat outlining the major shapes.  But this I think will only look good with a non gold frame.  Problem is, if I do do it, I have to have it done now.  All in all, I don't like the color.
    -Goodside: I can have the bike done by the end of the month (but may never be happy with it)
2)  Strip the bike down and powder coat the frame black, and have the gold accents put on the tank.
    - downside:  Not what I envisioned, will cost about $200 more dollars for the PC.
    -Goodside: simple, won't be disatisfied with it
3) Strip bike down and powder coat the gold color that I had originally intended it to be.
    -downside:  The only Powder coater that can get the color around here says that it will be 300 bucks to do the frame, and top that with another 200 bucks to order the special gold color.  I don't see myself paying another $500 and a project HONDA build.

I realize pics would help, and I will post some up after work.  Let me know what you guys think.  Anyother color combos i should consider before I make a decision?

And, to answer some previous questions.

The exhaust is a yoshimura, and they haven't been made for a while.  Just keep your eyes open, as they rarely, but do, show up.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:29:50 am by squirley »

Offline rachet

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB750 F2
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2008, 11:42:15 am »
Perhaps you could post some pics of the frame and front end for us to compare?  Personally I would take the time to assemble the bike.  My guess would be the tins will dramatically affect the over all package, and then it would be easier to Powder coat the front end to match if I did like it.

Your bike though, so do what's right by you.

Rachet~
But I need Tacos!  I need them or I will explode!

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2008, 11:57:48 am »
I like the idea of a gold frame. Also, while I'm a believer in keeping an open mind throughout a project I think sticking to your initial plan is best when possible. Besides, I think sticking as close you the original idea will make you happiest because if you stray too far you may end up with 'someone elses' bike.

You're going to spend money no matter what to compensate for the powder coater's screw up; decide what will hit your check book the least while sticking as close as you can to your vision.

So, maybe option 1 without stripes? Also, post the powder coating business info. His bad PR should be his reward for not informing you of potential problems or eating it a bit to make a customer happy. NOT good.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2008, 01:44:50 pm »
sure, I will post pics as soon as i get them.

I went down at lunch to talk with the PC, and he said that he would redo the frame in black free of cost.  He doesn't have any choices of gold on hand so he would have to order them and thats what I would be paying for.

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2008, 02:44:30 pm »
Just throwing this out there....

Don't powdercoat it black just yet....  I just did mine in blk and wished I had some contrast in there...

** What if you took a scotchbright pad and scuff it (the frame tubing) all in same direction...  give the appearance of annodized/brushed ???  take some of the shine & bling out of it.
It might not be an exact match to the front forks, but it might tie it together a bit.  A little contrast between parts almost always looks good.  You don't want
everything "too coordinated"

I've done it on chrome & aluminum with good results.

I think you out to assemble lightly before you strip anything - I really think it might look pretty good if you "brush" the frame.

If you are going to strip it, give it a shot first....you never know.   

About color - I think you are right - it will look killer in black.  I don't think it "needs" gold pinstriping...  what if you taped off the tank (after painting ) and did the scotch brite trick on the
knee dents ?   Again, it would offer some subtle contrast and make the knee dents more noticible without pinstripes.   Maybe just add a very thin stripe...in a brass or light bronze color instead of the gold.   Again - everything doesn't have to match exactly.

That is a kick ass bike as it sits.   Has to be one of my all time favorites here.  Well done.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:59:09 pm by greenjeans »
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2008, 04:35:08 pm »
Squirley

Sorry to hear about the PC problems.
I've been there and it really sucks.
Don't settle for something you don't want.
You've got to much time invested to see it go off the rails at this stage.

Try these guys for purchasing powder - http://www.nicindustries.com/
They have some really cool colors and finishes.
I used the coal on a frame and the combination of color and texture is amazing.
Prices were pretty good if my memory serves me correctly.
They will ship small quantities too.

Good luck
FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2008, 06:41:21 pm »
ok, here are some pics.  The flash did not accurately capture the color, but you get the idea. In real time, the color is more mellow.  The color is very similar to the color of the disc rotors.  And remember, I still have the gold color calipers to put on.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:43:22 pm by squirley »

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2008, 06:47:12 pm »
I like the gold ;D

Offline Spikeybike

• Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2008, 07:18:57 pm »
i like the color, but like you squirley i don't really care for the contrast

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2008, 07:19:55 pm »
looks good but i see what you're talking about. the forks from the pix look more copper than gold to me.
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2008, 07:26:57 pm »
Ya, if you look back a few posts, you can see the color of the calipers...that is the color the frame was supposed to be.  What do you guys think, recoat or keep assembling.  I am trying to get this done as soon as possible...if you see in the background there is a 1970 H1 that I have been collecting parts for AND I WANT TO START ON THAT ONE!

Offline Spikeybike

• Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2008, 07:42:45 pm »
if it was me .....and it really bothered me THAT much i would take the free coat of black , ......or paint the components the gold color (PCer might give a deal, to coat the caliper and any other odds and ends, if he still has any of that color left) 

Offline StrongPerf

• Enthusiast
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2008, 08:04:11 pm »
I hate when crap like this happens. If shops paid attention and cared they would have a more profitable long term business...

It's your bike and you should do what "you" like but you asked so here goes...

Just get the frame done in black. It's free from this point and will look great. Frames are hard to clean in all the hard to get to places. Light colors like gold will show road grime and chain lube very easily. It will be a #$%* to keep clean. Also you want to show off some things on that bike. Things like inverted forks and large brake calipers, not an ancient no frills frame. In that pic the gold is louder than the forks and takes attention away from them. I say black out the frame and show off the forks!

However, a black frame and black tins will just blend into a black blob with some loud forks sticking out. Maybe you could do the gold stripes on the tins to match the forks...

I agree the frame really doesn't match the forks or calipers and doesn't look good because you have 3 shades of gold on the same bike. Too busy! If you were going to stay with that gold on the frame you need something, somewhere else, the exact same gold to help tie it in. Perhaps those stripes on the tins or something else. It needs to be on something that should get attention though. It might not bug you as much if you change the caliper color to black or something else that way it doesn't need to match the frame.

Best to you and good luck!

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2008, 08:12:09 pm »
Thanks for the honest there SP.  I am truly looking for opinions as I am debating right now. 
I am 75% sure that I will have them respray it black, it is just unfortunate.  I had chosen the color of this bike before the build and had parts painted and coated to go with the theme (like engine covers, shocks...), now it may look a little funny with black on black on black on black...but I guess black always looks good.
I think I will have the painter to some thin striping around the front part of the tank and around the side profile of the seat in the color of the forks and call it quits.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2008, 08:24:12 pm »
The guy with the Eiffel Tower swing arm  :) makes a convincing argument. Practicality is hard to ignore and he has good points about aesthetics.

I know what ya mean squirley about deviating from a dream; but with more black you have a new opening for creativity elsewhere. The suspension pieces will really pop and whatever details you employ will stick out without being 'blingy'.

Dig the headlight.
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2008, 10:22:09 pm »
Squirley

If your coater is going to repaint free, call Prismatic Powder up and buy the color you want.
Cost of powder isn't going to put you in the poor house. Your PCer was gouging with the $500 scare price.

Bike is coming along nice.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline noose74

• cafe racer
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2008, 10:46:48 pm »
bike looks freakn sick man...i actually like the gold frame although i know you were going for more of that brembo magnesium colors from what it sounds like...i would do the tins black and tie that gold in with the pinstripes.. tough bike man..great job!

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2008, 02:08:53 am »
Im one of the ones that likes the color of the frame..However have you considered having some sort of translucent powder coat applied over the gold. There has gotta be some sort of combo of base PC and coating over it to make your color match the forks better.
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)