Author Topic: picture of bottom of cam chain tensioner  (Read 1145 times)

andmoon

picture of bottom of cam chain tensioner
« on: June 06, 2008, 12:35:45 pm »
I am having a hard time putting the tensioner back in my 74 550.
Mine won't fit into the slot/groove in the motor.
Mine seems bent and I'm not sure if it is by design.
All the manuals show the top but not how the metal is bent at the bottom.
Thanks,
Don

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: picture of bottom of cam chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:08:32 pm »
Dont remember a bend, i have one i the garage but wont be able to take a pic till sunday
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

andmoon

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:09:35 pm »
Dont remember a bend, i have one i the garage but wont be able to take a pic till sunday

That would be most helpful!

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:26:02 am »
Sorry Just remembered this and took some time to find the thread. Didnt get to garage last Sunday due to assorted disasters, please PM me early next week if you havent sorted it and i will go feretting for parts
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 04:34:44 am »
  I just put mine back in while doing a top-end redo, and I noticed it did seem to favor one side (the right).  Enough so that the bolt that goes through the top wouldn't thread without prying gently between the valley and the tensioner body.  Keep in mind, in order of torque sequence, this bolt and the one on the opposite side of the block are the last ones to be tightened. 
  When I went to start my bolt, I had the rest of the head's fasteners torqued to 5 ft-lb's.  Or is it lb-ft?
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:20:57 pm »
The tensioner does have a 'bend' and the bottom end should be 'tapered' even though it looks like the folded end should be straight. I have a tensioner somewhere, took pics of it previously but cant find them or it at present.
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 09:33:53 am »
I have pictures but too big to post and no time to re-size or pratta bout. send me your email and i will send them direct

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:31:57 am »
silly question, but are you trying to mount it with the cyl block in position already?

if yes, then rotate the crank till all pistons are at the same height, lift the block a bit (carefully as to not let the piston rings spring out) fit the the tensioner main bolt in its hole, put the nut on on the other side and then drop the block and tensioner together.

If I recall right, it's just not possible to fit the tensioner without lifting the cylinder block
TG

andmoon

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 11:13:56 am »
I have pictures but too big to post and no time to re-size or pratta bout. send me your email and i will send them direct
beechpix@gmail.com

thanks

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 03:55:01 pm »
"If I recall right, it's just not possible to fit the tensioner without lifting the cylinder block"

True dat.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 02:49:23 am »
Nother thing is whilst its out carefully look at the "mesh" of the teeth on the adjuster bolt and sliding tensioner bit as if somebody has been a bit heavy handed and tried to "force" the bolt round with a screwdriver in the slot it spreads the slider bit and the teeth dont mesh to lock up the assembly properly

Hope that explanation makes sense to you