Author Topic: What have I done  (Read 5237 times)

Hondaboy

What have I done
« on: June 13, 2008, 04:01:07 pm »
I Installed a new Dyna coil, points and condenser in my 1975 cb550 today. Before I had done this, bike was running good, but was fouling plugs too fast. Thought this would help plugs last longer. Anyway, put it all back together and I am getting absolutely zero spark. I tried setting the timing with a 12v test light and could not even get the light to illuminate. (yes ignition switch was on) I was very careful to hook all the wires back up correctly, so I don't think I have messed up there. I did check the two wires coming off the coil with my test light and the black wires had the power to them. (thought that was odd) Anyway if someone has an idea, please let me know. Thanks

Offline lone*X

• Expert
Re: What have I done
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 04:18:09 pm »
Is it possible you have bumped the kill switch to the off position?
Lone*X  ( Don )

75 CB550K1  
VTX1800C for two up cruisin.
Several others have come and gone but whose keeping track.
52 years on two wheels and counting.....
"The best safety feature of any motorcycle is the one God put between your ears.  It's also the least utilized"

Hondaboy

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 04:59:42 pm »
Unfortunately it is on, Thanks

Offline bradweingartner

• 74 CB 550 x2
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 06:06:04 pm »
Well there are only so many points of failure on the ignition system.

Do you have 12v+ at the coils? That would be the first thing to check and the most likely to cause you to not get any spark at all.

That is assuming you made sure your points are fully closing and all the connections are made, correct? You may have just popped a fuse :-)

Hondaboy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 07:19:49 am »
Alright, found out what happened, and I cant believe this has not happened to anyone else. Maybe it has. When I installed the points I did not install the wires under the insulator washer, and it was grounded out the whole time, resulting in no spark. It ran pretty smooth, but I was getting some hesitation when throttle was first twisted through each gear. I think I need to set the timing now.

Offline joecool14u2

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 11:12:21 am »
when you rebuilt the carbs did you remove the tube under the main jet? this causes that problem but yes the timing will also, time it with it running, like oldmanhonda.com shows lends itself the best results