Author Topic: How to tell aluminum from white metal?  (Read 5138 times)

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
How to tell aluminum from white metal?
« on: August 10, 2008, 11:17:23 pm »
I want to braze into the right control housing (the one that houses the starter button) on the handlebar to make some mods to it. Anybody knows if it's aluminum or if white metal can be brazed?
Baja native.

Offline oldbiker

• Expert
  • I HATE RAIN
Re: How to tell aluminum from white metal?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:08:38 am »
You will be able to do it with 'Lumiweld' if it's aluminium but if its what we know as 'Mazak' or 'Monkey muck' the melting points are very close. An expert may do it OK but it is difficult.
One way to check is to put a small piece of the Lumiweld and a small piece of the parent material onto a steel plate fairly close together and then heat the plate from underneath and note which starts to melt first.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:11:27 am by oldbiker »

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 06:35:26 am »
Check out this link from one of our members that repairs this kind of stuff using a laser welder.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=22490.0

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 08:41:35 am »
Its made from crapium which is worse than monkey metal or carb metal, save the agro and get a new or better assembly
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:15:33 am »
Thanks all for replying, I'll see what to do then. It's not a repair or replacement, I need to narrow it to fit in a YZF-R1 clip-on between the brake lever bracket and the throttle.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and order custom cables from Motion Pro to fit an R1 throttle housing and K1 carbs.
Baja native.

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 05:50:33 am »
Well the control housings on most of the SOHCs are annodized aluminum.  Quality of this aluminum? I can't say but it is fairly common to see these parts polished up to a bright shiny finish.  Is is a good idea to braze them?  Don't know enough about the subject but they are most certainly not pot metal.  Carb bodies are pot / "monkey metal" . . . . .

troppo

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 05:56:31 am »
I dont know about brazing anodized aluminium, but you cant anneal it to work it due to the anodized layer.