Author Topic: could air in the fuel line cause engine popping?  (Read 632 times)

Offline timdhawk

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750K
could air in the fuel line cause engine popping?
« on: August 29, 2008, 10:05:51 am »
my previous posts detailed: a carb rebuild, jet issues and replacements, and trying to get it to run.

NOW: bike starts and runs without choke. when i put the tank back on there was the fuel filter and a short section of gas line right before the carbs that didn't have gas in them but the carbs and the bowls did. could this amount of air cause the fuel levels to dip enough that when running, some carbs might get a little fuel starved until the air bubble gets worked through?
In deeper than I should be...

Offline Tower

• Only at conception could I have been called a
  • Hot Shot
  • My personal time machine: 1973 CB750K3
Re: could air in the fuel line cause engine popping?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 10:17:59 am »
Very unlikely.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: could air in the fuel line cause engine popping?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:48:17 am »
There's a controversy here about fuel blockage from air bubbles. I don't think they cause trouble, others are sure they do. In my opinion part of the issue is that with clear line or a clear filter you can see bubbles. With the stock Honda black fuel line there could be a bubble but you would never see it. Anyway, the high flow rate needed to force a bubble out suggests that it doesn't impede flow a huge amount. The bubble just floats in the line as fuel flows around it.