Author Topic: Terry's Cheap-Arse Front Wheel Bearing Cap removal tool, with pics.  (Read 9919 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Well I woke up this morning..................  ;D

And thought I'd take a few pics of this tool, this week Ron (MCRider1) sent me a beautiful Borrani rim and Buchanan's spokes to lace to one of my CB750 front hubs. I decided that I'd replace the front wheel bearings while I was at it, but didn't want to use the usual "cold chisel" bearing cap removal process, so I made this thing.

Anyone with a spare axle can make it, I found some 40mm wide x 3.55mm thick flat steel strap (the "notches" are actually 4mm wide, but this was the best I could find from my own resources) in my garage, so cut off a piece, slotted the axle cap 25.5mm, welded the strap in place, re-drilled the hole to 10mm and used a "modified" screwdriver as a lever.

It was a really nice tight fit, and even though I'd intended to put a spacer and compression spring on the remaining portion of the axle on the other side of the hub and a nut, I was surprised that the bearing cap wound straight out with no undue pressure required. Thinking it was a "fluke", I used it on yet another spare wheel with the exact same result, brilliant! These wheels are at least 35 years old (K2/K3) and have never been apart, so saying I'm happy at how simple the removal process is, is an understatement.

Ron's rim and spokes look so nice and clean I'm tempted to strip and rebuild my rear Borrani rimmed wheel, so I might make a similar bearing cap removal tool, using a rear axle. The benefit of using the axle is that the tool doesn't wobble around at all, like other tools that don't take advantage of the existing bearings. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Terry's Cheap-Arse Front Wheel Bearing Cap removal tool, with pics.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 08:33:47 pm »
The axle is a neat addition. As you experienced, once one gets the proper grip and leverage, those rings come right off.

As you can see, my "expertise" is with wood and nails: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=40052.0 I should find a class on welding, probably at a vocational school or such?

There is an absolutely amazing motorcycle museum in North Indiana which has a 1/4 size reproduction of the first motorcycle, made from wood. http://www.kerstingscycle.com/muse.html

And puleeze, clean that hub!  ;)  Are you motocrossing your CB?  ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 08:51:22 pm by MCRider1 »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

troppo

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:41:37 pm »
Great idea terry...
Might have to "borrow" that one for my shed ;) ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:47:52 am »
The axle is a neat addition. As you experienced, once one gets the proper grip and leverage, those rings come right off.

As you can see, my "expertise" is with wood and nails: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=40052.0 I should find a class on welding, probably at a vocational school or such?

There is an absolutely amazing motorcycle museum in North Indiana which has a 1/4 size reproduction of the first motorcycle, made from wood. http://www.kerstingscycle.com/muse.html

Hey thanks Ron, that hub is actually pretty good compared to some I've had, you see because Oz is such a great place to ride bikes we don't have short "riding seasons" like most of America, so people here literally "ride the wheels off" their bikes. That's why I buy most of my cosmetic parts from the US..........

Hey don't worry about paying someone teach you how to weld mate, just do what I did, buy a MIG (or an AC/DC TIG, drooooollllllll............) and teach yourself. I taught myself how to lace a wheel today with that hub, (cleaned up of course) and your beautiful rim and spokes, I was surprised how easy it was once I started and worked out that simple 4 spoke pattern, aint learning a wonderful thing? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Great idea terry...

Just make one Trop, you're better at metal work than I am! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 05:34:20 am »

Hey thanks Ron, that hub is actually pretty good compared to some I've had, you see because Oz is such a great place to ride bikes we don't have short "riding seasons" like most of America, so people here literally "ride the wheels off" their bikes. That's why I buy most of my cosmetic parts from the US..........

Hey don't worry about paying someone teach you how to weld mate, just do what I did, buy a MIG (or an AC/DC TIG, drooooollllllll............) and teach yourself. I taught myself how to lace a wheel today with that hub, (cleaned up of course) and your beautiful rim and spokes, I was surprised how easy it was once I started and worked out that simple 4 spoke pattern, aint learning a wonderful thing? Cheers, Terry. ;D

SNIP
I'm just glad the rim ended up somewhere its appreciated. Glad you got it together already. And it is out of my shop! Need the space.

As for welding, I'm not good at the self teaching thing, "gotta know your limitations".

8:30AM Sunday  in USA, Shop time!
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 05:52:31 am »
I take it you still drilled the dimples out Terry, and the borrani is a peach to true against the standard steel----seen many a new apprentice spend days trying to true out the "Kick" where the steel rim is welded!!!!
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 06:16:47 am »
I take it you still drilled the dimples out Terry, and the borrani is a peach to true against the standard steel----seen many a new apprentice spend days trying to true out the "Kick" where the steel rim is welded!!!!

I was going to ask about the dimples as well, as it is not obvious that he did. I removed one retainer years ago, with the chisel method, without drilling and without (totally) ruining it, but it would seem drilling them out would still be better than risking it.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 07:02:40 am »

Thanks for the link.  I'm located in Indy so that will be a good excuse to take a ride up North. 

Cheers...Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

troppo

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 07:05:38 am »

Thanks for the link.  I'm located in Indy so that will be a good excuse to take a ride up North. 

Cheers...Joe
If you do, dont forget we love pics here ;) ;D ;D

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 07:20:41 am »

Cheers...Joe
I had to drive to N Jordan to pick up some parts i bought on eBay and I saw a little sign that said "motorcycle museum 6 miles. So I went and it was amazing. i didn't have my camera with me so i couldn't take pictures.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 08:53:45 am »
Ambassador Mate,

You never cease to amaze me but I'd at least cleaned that nasty sum#$%* before posting a picture  ;D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:59:24 am »

Great idea terry...

Just make one Trop, you're better at metal work than I am! ;D

or send it to me and I can weld it.................:) (Its a hobby of mine that pays well)
How is your top end oiler doing Terry?
Hope all is well

Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 09:52:59 am »
I have been using the flat bar, plus 18 in crescent trick for years.

I am still thinking about a tool that will do front and rear hubs retainers, that would be trick..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline kslrr

• There is always a Blaster when there is a
  • Master
  • Raising her up right!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 11:47:54 am »
Neat idea Terry!
Now  1972 CB350FX (experimental v2.0)
        1981 CB650c Custom with '79 engine (wifes)
        1981 CB650 engine
        2004 HD XL883C Custom
        1977 Yamaha XS750D (in progress)
Then 1972 CL175
        1964 Yamaha YGS-1T
No ride is a Bad ride

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »

What Dimples Bryan? The retainer came straight out with no damage to the threads or the slots in the side of the retainer at all, (see pics) what have I buggered? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 01:37:31 am »
When screwed in at the factory there are 3 or 4 centre punch marks put on the line of thread outer to hub inner  to stop the ring unscrewing, same on rear retainer. Usually you have to drill down with a small drill (1/16) to clear the indentation before unscrewing.

If the threads are still good you buggered nothing mate
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 05:27:34 am »
Look at picture #5 in the initial post, you can see where the retainer was already drilled to remove the dimple.  Half way between the machined slots.  If Terry didn't do it than some PO already did.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 03:42:40 pm »
I wish I could look at the pics, I'm working at an Air Force base 200 miles from home all this week and next, (but I'll get home on the weekend, it's gonna be warm and sunny so I'll be doing more riding than wrenching.) and the "Defence Restricted Network" (DRN) firewall is so "restricted" I can't open any of the pics.

I didn't notice any "drillings" on the weekend, but the hub was really filthy so I might have missed something? I'm not going to "punch" the bearing cap retainer when I replace the bearings, I'll just use a little "Loctite", I think. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 04:20:07 pm »
This:

(Edit: Not that this helps you now Terry but you'll see what I mean when you get home on the weekend)
- John Augustus Shedd

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 07:05:41 pm »
Hey thanks mate, I can open JPG pics like that, but not downloads from picture hosting sites. I see that punch mark now, it doesn't look very effective though where it is? Anyway, it doesn't look like I've buggered anything, so that's good. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 08:24:13 pm »
What's circled is actually a hole, that was drilled where the punch mark used to be.  When the retainer was originally installed, it was then dimpled with a punch which deforms the first thread or so, wedging the part into it's hole so it cannot back out from vibration.  To remove it, you have to drill out the deformed material or it'll chew up the threads.  There are usually several dimples (either two or four, don't remember off the top of my head).

Dunno why they didn't just use loctite originally.

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 10:22:20 pm »
Ok, I'm with you now mate. It's intersting though, you'd reckon a centre punch would spread the deformity over a fairly wide area, so you'd need to drill a reasonably large hole to remove the entire deformity, you'd think?

Yeah, they used loctite (or similar) on other items, but maybe "dimpling" was considered a safer method considering the proximity of the bearing cap to the wheel, forks etc. Maybe they were worried that if one got loose it could perhaps lock the front wheel at speed? Now that'd be scary.............  :o