Author Topic: What the hell is it? CB550  (Read 9690 times)

Offline jbot

What the hell is it? CB550
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:49:38 am »
Well here's my progress on my first build.  I'm just going with what I like.  It's got some dirt/flat tracker influence, a little cafe, and a little dirtbike.  It isn't running, but I haven't looked too much into that yet.  I've been working more diligently on the body and stance. 

Here it is shortly after I acquired it:

And here it is now:

The tail is part of a rear fender of a TL1000 mated to a homemade fiberglass seat.  Naturally still a looooooooooong way to go.  The side covers will be number plates, and who knows what I'll have to do engine wise.  Still need finish work on the body and paint.  I love the look and wanted to share it with my sohc4 family.  Thanks for the wealth of knowledge you've provided. 

BTW,
bite the bullet and try fiberglassing if you haven't in the past.  It's an amazing medium.  (just messy)

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
Re: What the hell is it? CB550
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:08:01 am »
BTW,
bite the bullet and try fiberglassing if you haven't in the past.  It's an amazing medium.  (just messy)

+1 on the fiberglassing recommendation!

Nice work. It has a real aggresive posture.
Can't wait to see more.

Cheers
FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:15:03 am »
I like where this one is headed.  I keep telling myself that I should go with a knobby tire on the next build but I never sack up and go for it...nice to see someone else is.
Keep the pics coming

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:02:49 am »
that thing is unique! looks good and it is nice to see something different.

Offline jbot

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 12:17:41 pm »
My friend and body shop expert just came up with an absolute killer idea on the gas cap. Stay tuned for that.  I'm going to be using the stock headlight, planning on making a bracket for it tonight.  No speedo, no tach.  Needing to do a search on finding the correct front axle spacers.  Right now there are none on it, as I didn't have any when I got the bike.  I'll probably go with struts so I can tuck the rear tire up as close as possible to the tail section.  I've used a motion pro push/pull throttle to clean up the handlebars some.  I plan on using a dirtbike clutch perch. 

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:10:32 pm »
I will be watching this build with interest. I like it so far.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline alltherightpills

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 06:41:08 pm »
I am resisting the urge to throw this bike into the Inspiration Gallery as it is, but I think I will wait until it's finished. ;D ;D ;D

I love it so far, keep up the good work.
78 550K
77 550K (in pieces)
71 500K0 (in pieces)

Offline jbot

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 08:26:46 pm »
Thanks a ton for all the positive comments.  Things like that that keep the fuel for the project burning.  I'll try to share all the updates with you guys and I hope I don't disappoint.  I'm just letting each day decide the direction.  It's coming great so far and man what a blast. This is truly addicting. 

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 08:58:35 pm »
A little longer swing arm and you have a sand dragger or hill climber 8)

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 05:14:59 am »
Looking good!   Any ideas why it doesn't run?

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline jbot

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 05:23:58 am »
-Mystic_1
                     I'm not entirely sure.  I don't think it would take much at all to get it running.  When I got it it had no coils or plug wires, but I acquired those on eBay.  I put new plugs in it, as it had none.  The starter button wires were all disconnected, so I wanted to get some of my wiring in order before I fired it up.  I didn't want the starter to continually turn or something.  I kicked it over a few times to check the points, and they are firing.  The coils get hot and the plugs spark, so I'm sure it wouldn't take much at all.  The tank is full of sand from the blasting, so I haven't had a chance to attach another tank to provide the fuel.  I'm sure that with the new battery and some gas, it would fire rather easily.  Hopefully find out this weekend.  The wiring has me a little intimidated, so I've been beating the bush around that area.

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 06:09:21 am »
Looks good man. Heh and here i thought i was insane for planning on shoehorning a CB750 engine into a dirt bike frame lol
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline jbot

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 08:07:26 am »
Looks good man. Heh and here i thought i was insane for planning on shoehorning a CB750 engine into a dirt bike frame lol

Badass! You should definitely give that a go! Talk about power to weight ratio :)

Offline jbot

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 12:57:59 pm »
Here's a photo of the seat we made outta fiberglass. We laid tape onto the frame and then put the fiberglass over that so it would follow the contour of the frame.  This way when the seat is installed, it basically snaps onto the frame rails requiring no bolts to hold it on. 

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 02:13:53 pm »
That bike sure needed some real love when you got it.
Your comments on the sand in the tank have me smiling as I imagine the mess in the carbs, old gas glued into the tubes with sand.
Spend a few days studying the "how to remove carbs" section from this site, it will pay off big time.
Hey DR, I once saw a Suzi 750 waterbus with knobblies on it, the guy was a huge fellow who could not find a trail bike with enough power to take his ginormouse frame.
It ruled on the bush trails in Aussie.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline A Grove

• Some people call me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 03:07:34 pm »
So what exactly do you intend to use this bike for?  Its really unique and I dig it a lot!!

Offline jbot

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 06:19:35 pm »
That bike sure needed some real love when you got it.
Your comments on the sand in the tank have me smiling as I imagine the mess in the carbs, old gas glued into the tubes with sand.
Spend a few days studying the "how to remove carbs" section from this site, it will pay off big time.
Hey DR, I once saw a Suzi 750 waterbus with knobblies on it, the guy was a huge fellow who could not find a trail bike with enough power to take his ginormouse frame.
It ruled on the bush trails in Aussie.

I was a little misleading about the sand in the tank.  The sand was actually from sandblasting it after I got it, so it's not made it's way into the carbs.  There was a different tank on it when I acquired the bike. 

Offline rachet

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB750 F2
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 06:58:09 pm »
Creativity at it's best!   :o   :D

A little longer swing arm and you have a sand dragger or hill climber 8)

+1

Since you might go with struts, maybe an extended Ridged frame is a more accurate description!?!

Long and low

Rachet~
But I need Tacos!  I need them or I will explode!

Offline jbot

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 04:12:48 am »
So what exactly do you intend to use this bike for?  Its really unique and I dig it a lot!!

I'm planning on just riding it around our little town.  Think the population is around 4500 or so.  Think it'll just be nice to see everyones face.  I think it'd be a blast to swerve off-road a little.  I put a rim lock on the rear just in case.  Not too much though with no rear suspension.  :) Most people around here only acknowledge a bike as custom if it has a 250-300 tire on the rear.  Maybe I can sway a few.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:15:52 am by jbot »

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 03:25:10 am »

Badass! You should definitely give that a go! Talk about power to weight ratio :)

Im def giving it a go. Already have the frame to shove it into...Trying to get ahold of the original front end from the bike and im probably gonna need a CB swing arm for the rear...well that is if i dont decide to just make one of my own...Im thinking heavy duty square tubing style arm to handle the power of the CB engine. If i think the arm is too heavy...oh well thats what the 836 over bore kit is for right? lol
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline jbot

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 12:50:43 pm »
I'm about to rip the wire harness apart and run everything myself.  The rat's nest is not working for me.  I'll keep you posted.
oh, and just as a heads up, I'm probably going to be asking some really stupid questions.  I am not too hot at wiring issues. 

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 04:06:52 pm »
There is a minimal cafe/chopper wiring diagram available on this site courtesy of King Custom Cycles.

Link: http://kingcustomcycles.com/technicalassistance.html

Hope that helps out.

FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline jbot

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 06:12:22 am »
I appreciate the help.  I've done a ton of searches on the topic to learn as much as possible before jumping in.  I'm not good at all with wiring.  Hopefully I can follow the schematics well enough to get it knocked out.  I'm so antsy to get it running. 

Offline A Grove

• Some people call me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 12:16:14 pm »
Is the wiring itself faulty?  If not, I would get the bike running, then worry about replacing the wiring.  That way, if it doesnt fire again, you KNOW it was in your wiring that caused the problems.

Offline jbot

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 12:24:48 pm »
The wiring isn't too bad.  It was working to where i could at least get the key switch and off/run switch to get fire to my coils, but now, for some reason, I'm not getting anything from my switches.  I'm sure it's not much, but I figure while I'm fixing that, I could simplify the wiring the best i can.

Offline A Grove

• Some people call me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 03:44:56 pm »
Theres not much to be simplified with these things wiring unless you're removing a bunch of electrical bits... IE. turn signals, horn, bar units, etc.  If suddenly the switches aren't working on the bar(s), I would open them up, polish all the points/connections, and put some anti-corrode gel on them as well.  Did it to all mine and haven't had a single issue since.

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 04:01:27 pm »
Theres not much to be simplified with these things wiring unless you're removing a bunch of electrical bits... IE. turn signals, horn, bar units, etc.  If suddenly the switches aren't working on the bar(s), I would open them up, polish all the points/connections, and put some anti-corrode gel on them as well.  Did it to all mine and haven't had a single issue since.

Check out the big brain on AG , already giving advice ;D ;D apparently he was listening to us

i really dig the "mud/cafe/bobber"  ,  it's funny i was thinking to myself "wow, thats differant, i should put that in the inspiration gallery , then i scrool down and see Pills beat me to that thought, so i too will wait  ;)

Offline alltherightpills

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 06:05:22 pm »
That's cause I'm always one step ahead of you, spikey. ;) ;D ;D ;D
78 550K
77 550K (in pieces)
71 500K0 (in pieces)

Honda_Nut

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 12:51:50 pm »

Someone gave me a tank exactly like this. Do you know what it's off? I think it might be a CL350 scrambler (72-74), but I haven't figured it out yet. I got the tank so I can try electro-cleaning the rust with a battery charger when time allows.

Offline jbot

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 01:05:18 pm »

Someone gave me a tank exactly like this. Do you know what it's off? I think it might be a CL350 scrambler (72-74), but I haven't figured it out yet. I got the tank so I can try electro-cleaning the rust with a battery charger when time allows.

They said it was from a 350.  Not sure what type, probably a CL.  I thought it looked good on the bike.  He wanted like 70 bux for it though, so I gave it back and decided to go with the stock tank. 

Offline alltherightpills

• Expert
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 10:40:25 am »
Any updates on this thing?
78 550K
77 550K (in pieces)
71 500K0 (in pieces)

Offline jbot

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 11:31:10 am »
I've been in the process of moving.  I've got a trick gas cap in the works, but for now that's about it.  I'm promising myself to have it done by the 2009 Smokeout.  I've got the paint and such, just need to get my wiring and engine work going, then tweak some things from there.