Author Topic: hammered paint  (Read 11266 times)

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert I ain't no stinken
  • Expert
  • stupid gloripope
hammered paint
« on: September 09, 2008, 12:44:37 pm »
I have the hammered copper right now but I spilled the paint before  I got completley done...so of course I am thinking about going with the dark bronze. Wanted to get some votes and see if you guys dig any of the colors. I like this paints it is pretty tough and adds dimension and best part it is almost an idiot proof job.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=159

so which color do you guys like if any.
"I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don't have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don't mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don't need much money. Von Dutch

Offline SD750F

• Master
    • My Business Site
Re: hammered paint
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:48:46 pm »
Hey cb650 bobber,

What do you intend to paint? The frame or the body items? And what would the the other primary color on your bike? What bike do you have? This will help me to give you my opinion...

Scott

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:56:13 pm »
I used to get hammered alot but had to give that up with prison or death looming as my only choices.  ANYTHING looks cool next to black

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:14:52 pm »
Hey cb650 bobber,

What do you intend to paint? The frame or the body items? And what would the the other primary color on your bike? What bike do you have? This will help me to give you my opinion...

Scott

+1 to this, tell us more about what you have in mind.

Off the cuff, and just based on the swatches on that site, the hammered copper looks more interesting to me than the dark bronze, but it's hard to say without seeng it in person and in sunlight.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline Einyodeler

• Expert
  • Midnight bugs taste best!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 10:15:51 pm »
 I used Rustoleum Dark Bronze on the `72 and it turned out lighter than it showed on the sample, kind of a dark gray but I like it. Last year it was painted Hammered Black as shown this first pic:

Here is a pic of the dark bronze in direct sunlight:

And this is the other side when away from the sun, you can see it really looks darker when it`s shady:

1972 CB500 - 1973 CB500 - 1974 CB550K - 1975 CB550F - 1975 CB750F - 1976 CJ360 - 1983 CR480 - 1970 BSA A65T Thunderbolt

Download Motorcycle Shop Manuals here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 06:06:57 am »
I am painting everything tank fenders and covers....then maybe add a highlight cover ...wow I like the look of the dark bronze in the sun...it is crazy it looks flat black in the shade huh. 1980 cb650....the pic is now in copper.
"I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don't have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don't mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don't need much money. Von Dutch

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 06:50:54 am »
I am getting the black hammered finish this weekend and hopefully painted too. I just wondered is it an enamel paint, and how it adheres to the plastic side covers.
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 07:16:32 am »
the paint is pretty tough stuff of corse it isnt gas resistent completly...but if you get gas on it ...you can easily wipe it off and it is easy to touch up with the texture....it works good on plastic metal I think almost anything...I really am in love with the stuff....I will probably always use it unless i have a newer bike....which I doubt.

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 08:42:10 am »
wondering if the brown looks good.

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 05:24:02 am »
I LIKE THE DARK BRONZE TO WISH THIS PAINT WAS CHEAPER. Well it is not that expensive but expensive enough I dont want to by 2-3 cans of it just to check colors on the bike.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:26:32 am by cb650 bobber »

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 06:44:33 am »
what does the black look like in the light.....

Offline The Gardener

• It is what it is
    • WATTO
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 03:16:08 pm »
I used the same Rustoleum Dark Bronze on one of my bike as well. I ended picking that colour cause I thought it looked cool, and you're right it turned out nice. Then I sprayed a semi-gloss clear over it and it changed the colour... kinda brownish in sun, but greenish in the shade. Anyway I still like it and with about 85% of the rest of the bike is satin black, looks good!
'75 CB750K
'84 CB700SC

Offline bikerbart

• Master
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 04:08:24 pm »
I thought I was crazy.I love the stuff,tough as hell,I think its the toughest spray can paint there is.I have tried all the colors and by far the copper is the coolest.The dark green aint bad either.It will pretty much stick to anything.I was thinking of doing up my extra tank and side covers with the copper.Will keep you posted.
its better to regret something you have done,than something you havent.Except playing with explosives.

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 06:52:52 am »
yeah i thought I was crazy to...then i thought a paint that looks...in my eyes cool...tough and easy to paint and fix if anything happens to it. I am in love with it...i am thinking about keeping the copper I like it and dont want to change it just for the sake of change...But I want to add some sort of highlight color either flat black or off white just to mix it up.

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 08:31:52 am »
cant really tell from the pic is the black more glossy or flat.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 09:18:43 am »
Ya know cb650 bobber I think the dark bronze is growing on me, I am going to home depot friday and getting the darkbronze and I will post a pic in a week or so and show my progress 8)

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 07:51:46 am »
so anyone got any more pics or updates.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 09:23:39 am »
I got two cans of the dark bronze but that's as far as I got, gotta finish the dining room remodel before the wife locks me in the septic tank out back :P.

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 07:04:22 am »
no one has any pics yet

Offline Sporkfly

• The frosty rider
  • Hot Shot
  • Mmm, Guinness
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 07:40:51 am »
I painted my tank just recently with the hammered black. I then used rubbing compound on it (it smoothed the texture out, but it was still noticeable). Then I clear coated it and used polishing compound on it and... It looks great! I'll try to find my camera so I can provide pictures.

It might just be how I went about painting with the hammered black, but it's very grayish. I like the texture and the satin finish (not too glossy, not too flat). Almost looks like cast iron.
1977 CB550K
1979 GL1000 - Current project, winter '09-'10
1979 CX500
1976 Suzuki GT500 Titan

Offline Johnny5

• Master
    • CB350F build thread
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 07:42:31 am »
Im thinking about doing some accents with the bronze hammered paint. I really like the looks of it.
www.kerosenecycles.com
1971 CB350
1973 CB350F
2006 Harley Springer Classic

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 06:56:29 am »
yeah spook fly or anyone else post pics...we can be the hammered bunch :P

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 09:21:47 am »
Not the bike but tonight I'm gonna be hammered :P. I also am in the process of teardown, got the tranny side cover off and front sprocket cover off, getting ready to get new gears and chain, got mastercyclinder rebuild on the way. Getting new caliper parts and tranny cover gasket along with oil pan gasket and drain plug. The hammer paint is on the shelf with other parts waiting in line..... Also got lowering blocks for the rear that are going on when the back is totally apart. Looks like we are the hammered gang though. :P :P :P :P :-*

I will start a thread tomorrow with plenty o' pics for pure viewing satisfaction. :-* :-* :-*

heres a teaser... the right side brake parts are collecting for the dual setup...

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 05:12:05 am »
thinking about using the black on engine cases and some other parts as wrinkle paint has turned out the way I wI would like it to.

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 02:06:09 pm »
Am thinking of giving this a go.  Anyone want to go over your process?

Something like:
strip and prep tank / primer / sand / first coat / sand / second coat / etc?
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."