Author Topic: Tent citys - distressing  (Read 1025 times)

Offline boatsdickson

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 836 K8
Tent citys - distressing
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:20:31 pm »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26776283

I found this quite touching. Not in the good way, but the kind that nags at the heart. I stay pretty much ignorant by choice of whats going on around the world and the way of the economy. Thats dangerous to do but to tune in to real life is simply too depressing and frustrating without a solution to whats wrong. Ive got enough in my own surroundings that depressing and frustrating that I cant find answers for so I tend to limit my scope of things at arms length.

By msnbc's title to the story, images of other countrys poverty stricken areas come to mind. At least in mine. Its sad that these things are truly a part of my own country and are the result of the current economy. Maybe it bothers me more because these troubled times are the first like these that Ive gone through myself as an adult, an employee, a husband, a homeowner, and daddy to my animals. Times are going to get tougher and the troubles that my family are struggling with right now have only begun. I wish I has some answers to offer any of you to make it easier but first I must narrow my focus to get myself through.

At what point does all the negativity and the nations slump turn around? I didnt experience the great depression many years ago. I dont recall what caused it and I dont remember how it was rectified. Somewhere its said without knowing your history, your destined to repeat it. Maybe a long talk with my parents would be beneficial or offer a little insight on the troubles they faced years ago in the dust bowl of middle america, and prepare me for what lies ahead. I sure hope it doesnt get as bad as in the history books that i read and forgot so many years ago.

Thanx all............  8)
"No. We're all our own prisons, we are each all our own wardens and we do our own time. I can't judge anyone else. What other people do is not really my affair unless they approach me with it. Prison's in your mind. Can't you see I'm free"?  Testimonial of Charles Manson

Offline ekim98

• Expert
Re: Tent citys - distressing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:42:44 pm »
Distressing yes, but going to live in a tent city is not the answer. What solved the problem was creating jobs, even if they were low paying jobs. At least they had something to do and didn't sit around and cry poor me. Not believeing all the BS in the papers/news reports about all the doom and gloom which only helps them make money but solves NOTHING. They need to get off their butts and get any kind of work! Throwing money at people out of work and down on there luck will solve nothing, but prolong them getting back into a productive society. Sometimes I think the first amendement is part of the problem. Some people don't know when to shut up, and so many are like sheep waiting to be lead around and told what to do. But then if you read/watch/listen to "msnbc" and belive half of what they say you have more problems than just living in a tent city.   
Patriot Guard Rider - KY. Ride with Respect

78 750k  cafe bike sort of
67 305  Superhawk (working project)

Offline inline4

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:00:06 pm »
My heart bleeds! ::) ::)
America Needs To Get Its Balls Back!

Offline DammitDan

• Prodigal Son
  • Master
  • It lives!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:59:46 am »
Sometimes I think the first amendement is part of the problem. Some people don't know when to shut up, and so many are like sheep waiting to be lead around and told what to do. 

Hooray!  ::)
CB750K4

Offline tramp

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 07:39:16 am »
Distressing yes, but going to live in a tent city is not the answer. What solved the problem was creating jobs, even if they were low paying jobs. At least they had something to do and didn't sit around and cry poor me. Not believeing all the BS in the papers/news reports about all the doom and gloom which only helps them make money but solves NOTHING. They need to get off their butts and get any kind of work! Throwing money at people out of work and down on there luck will solve nothing, but prolong them getting back into a productive society. Sometimes I think the first amendement is part of the problem. Some people don't know when to shut up, and so many are like sheep waiting to be lead around and told what to do. But then if you read/watch/listen to "msnbc" and belive half of what they say you have more problems than just living in a tent city.   

same same
1974 750k

eldar

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 01:08:59 pm »
I think this says it.

Offline boatsdickson

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 836 K8
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 06:37:19 pm »
My house went on the auction block 2day. Pretty pissed bout it but its my fault for not gettin rid of it right after I quit makin the good money. Aint goin to a tent city. Buying a house from a family member thats half as expensive, but its a fixer upper. Its probably what we shouldve started with instead of buying what we did. One of lifes tough lessons I guess.
"No. We're all our own prisons, we are each all our own wardens and we do our own time. I can't judge anyone else. What other people do is not really my affair unless they approach me with it. Prison's in your mind. Can't you see I'm free"?  Testimonial of Charles Manson

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 07:03:52 pm »
My house went on the auction block 2day. Pretty pissed bout it but its my fault for not gettin rid of it right after I quit makin the good money. Aint goin to a tent city. Buying a house from a family member thats half as expensive, but its a fixer upper. Its probably what we shouldve started with instead of buying what we did. One of lifes tough lessons I guess.
What got us into the great depression was a runaway stock market and bank failures. That probably will not happen again. What got us out of it was WWII which I hope will not happen again.

You had a house and now you are moving into a home. Now that you viewed how life can turn on a dime, you will be able to avoid these problems. It's gonna hurt for a while. Your future is in your hands use it wisely.   
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline ekim98

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 08:18:29 pm »
What got us into the great depression was a runaway stock market and bank failures. That probably will not happen again. What got us out of it was WWII which I hope will not happen again.

You had a house and now you are moving into a home. Now that you viewed how life can turn on a dime, you will be able to avoid these problems. It's gonna hurt for a while. Your future is in your hands use it wisely.   

+100%
Patriot Guard Rider - KY. Ride with Respect

78 750k  cafe bike sort of
67 305  Superhawk (working project)

Offline DRam

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:09:47 am »

[/quote]

[/quote]

This time we had a runaway housing market and now are having bank failures.  I hope beyond saying that we don't need another world war to pull us out of the current mess. 

A large part of what happened in 1929 was the result of buying stocks on margin - you'd buy $100 worth of stocks with $90 of a bank's money, hold the stock until it was worth $150, sell it, pay the bank and keep $50 profit.  When stock dropped banks tried to collect their money, couldn't and went broke.  This time it was zero interest, low or no down payment house loans that couldn't be collected.  And banks are going broke. 

Of course there are many other factors involved building toward our present dillema.  At least a decade of sending jobs overseas, greed on the part of sellers, lack of realistic planning and demand for instant gratification on the part of home buyers, willingness on the part of some lenders to make risky loans, increasing debt loads - all led to the present.

Yup.  Don't learn from history, and repeat it.