Author Topic: Smell oil....maybe burnt  (Read 1095 times)

Offline cleveland

• Expert
Smell oil....maybe burnt
« on: October 02, 2008, 11:23:13 pm »
I was out ripping up some roads a few nights ago with a moto buddy.  I noticed my bike on the way home smelled like burnt oil.  I plan to do an oil change this weekend, but what should I be looking for? 

I haven't smelled it since, so it may be nothing.  I figure asking you guys would be the best way to find out.

Thanks!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Smell oil....maybe burnt
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 11:43:06 pm »
Pull out your dip stick and sniff it mate (that's the one on your bike I'm talking about..............) if it's really black or smells burnt, it could be that your rings are on the way out and you've got some "blow by" issues. Does it burn any oil? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 10:27:12 am »
Wow, that avatar is too much!  LOL!!!

Oil is dark and does have a faint burnt smell.  I plan to replace the head over the winter, so I suppose new ring should be on the list anyways. 

Any suggestions on brand or source?

Thanks!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 05:40:05 pm »
G'Day Clevo, well  if it was me I'd go the Wiseco big bore route, good quality and a bit more "grunt" won't hurt, but otherwise, I bought new standard rings from Cyclex or Z1 (can't remember) for 40 bucks for all 4 pistons and they look fine.

Are you going to get Mike Rieck to do your head? He did one for me, and it's fantastic, apart from the magic porting and bigger stainless steel valves, he has them blasted to remove all the old crud, machines the gasket surface flat, installs all new guides and seals, so when it comes back you'd swear it was new, and it costs less than a new (if you can find one) OEM head.

You don't have to install a massive cam like I did, but a mild Megacycle cam with the headwork and a big bore kit will make your bike feel like a two wheeled ballistic missile! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 05:56:53 pm »
It's a 550, so I don't think they make big bore kits. 

Do you have Mike's contact info?

Thanks!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 06:00:26 pm »
No worries mate, I was guessing on the Wiseco kit, (I'm sure they used to do them, but that was a while ago)

Mike can certainly do your head, he did Paulages 550/712 head I think, and a couple of others here too. He's just MRieck here, so PM him and he'll tell you all you need to know! Cheers, Terry. ;D