Author Topic: 74' cb750 - my rat bike  (Read 65848 times)

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
74' cb750 - my rat bike
« on: October 06, 2008, 05:04:13 pm »
hey everyone..first ill start off with a little bit about myself..

My name is Dustin and im from Glenville, PA which is situated near the Maryland line in central PA.  Im currently a radiography student at Penn. school of technology (the x-ray program).  My story goes like this..i started building a turbocharged vw golf at age 15.  I sold that and bought a honda hurricane @ 18.  After modding hurricane significantly, i sold it to fund my turbocharged bmw project.  Being a college student, i couldnt afford to continue modding the bmw (already 15k into it), so i parked it. 
     I really missed having the hurricane so i got back into the market for something cheap, reliable, and easy to mod...aka, a honda!  Ive got a pretty extensive background in building engines, tuning, wiring, welding, and anything else mechanical so i was searching for a 'fixer upper'...and it just so happens that my friend's older brother had a 74' cb750 he wanted to sell for $500.  Let the fun begin!

after removing the king/queen seat, lugguage rack, back rest, engine gaurd, ape hangers, and lights...i was left with this!

i lowered the front and mocked up drag bars along with removing some unneccessary crap...which got me here:

Then, i soldered new plug wires on the old crusty coils and proceded to rewire the entire bike.  all of the handlebar controls were removed and switches were mounted in the center 'dash' to control hi/low beams, blinkers, and horn.  I also mounted an LED for the nuetral light.

After all that, i didnt like the way the stock gas cap looked/worked.  I was looking for a classic 'bobber'/'rat' style so i decided on a raised filler neck with a simple harley vented cap.  i ordered the bung and cap, and proceded to TIG weld the two together.  The metal was pretty thin so i used the 'pulse' function on my TIG to get the job done.  came out pretty nice!  Then i sent the tank, exhaust, and a few other bits to my neighbor for sandblasting.

got everything back from being blasted.  the tank came out pretty good.  i primed and sealed the bottom and im getting ready to do some bodywork on the top half.

with everything coming to a standstill waiting on parts, the next logical choice was to work on getting the bike running properly.  i tore the carbs apart, cleaned the crap out of them, lubed up all the moving parts, reassembled, bench synched the slides, set the main idle stop, and synched the choke assembly.  These were the dirtiest carbs ive ever seen and i think they cleaned up pretty well.  ive got new fuel line and bigger main jets on the way to prepare her for velocity stacks..

some things that i dont have pictures of...

-bar end blinkers were installed along with black grips and black throttle assembly
-exhaust had a quarter sized hole that i TIG'ed shut
-entire exhaust was painted with 2000* flat black paint
-cb500 fork tubes on the way to lower the ride height
-rear was lowered around 3-4"

the ultimate goal here is to SLAM this thing (lowered 3-4" all around) while giving it a bit of a bobber/rat look.  ive only had the bike for about a month and ive got maybe $800 into it..i think im doing pretty well so far!  ;D

Ostiosis

Re: 74' cb750 - my rat bike
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:18:26 pm »
I really like the bike and am looking forward to updates. What did you use to make the "console" ?

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 03:10:11 am »
I really like the bike and am looking forward to updates. What did you use to make the "console" ?

to make the console, i removed the factory 'warning' lights, stripped all the paint off, and filled the holes with jb-weld.  after it cured, i drilled the holes for the switches and painted everything!

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 04:59:27 am »
I like the white!! Looks very good especially the head light shell and console. Cant say Im too crazy about the raised gas cap on the tank but Ill wait and see how it looks at the end  ;)

Great photos and looking forward to more updates.

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »
I like the white!! Looks very good especially the head light shell and console. Cant say Im too crazy about the raised gas cap on the tank but Ill wait and see how it looks at the end  ;)

Great photos and looking forward to more updates.

cheers
Andy

its actually 'almond' instead of white...i wanted a good classic color and i narrowed it down to seafoam green vs. classic almond.  just couldnt make myself paint the bike green  :-X

i wasnt too sure about the raised cap myself.  i was looking through a book of classic motorcycles and came across some older bmws and nortons (50's-60's)  that had a pronounced cap.  their caps werent as high as mine, but i really wanted to bring emphasis to the tank area and make the bike feel older.  the headlight sits down towards the wheel more than the stock unit and with the small gauges, the tank (and tall cap) will be the pinnacle...your guess is as good as mine with how itll turn out  8)

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 03:10:36 pm »
i dont get any work done until the weekends as im 3hrs from home @ college...but i did get a chance to visit a local honda dealer's 'museum' here in williamsport, PA.  enjoy!

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 12:10:32 am »
anyone know where to get float bowl gaskets?  ive ordered jets individually as im rejetting the bike and i have no use for all the extra crap that comes with the 'rebuild kits'....ive searched everywhere and havent had much luck finding just float bowl gaskets.

crc2onlinecatalog.com has them listed as 'out of stock' and dynoman has them listed as (2) in stock...anyone have suggestions?

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 06:02:39 pm »
TAS Motorsports helped me out big time and they were very cheap as well - check out the Good Folks section for feedback....

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 06:40:18 pm »
TAS Motorsports helped me out big time and they were very cheap as well - check out the Good Folks section for feedback....

cheers
Andy

Funny you mentioned that, i sent mathew a few emails earlier today.  seriously, TAS is one of the only companies that have ever emailed me back on a SUNDAY!!!  Hes going to have the gaskets in the mail for me Tuesday!!  Good people over there at TAS motorsports..

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 01:42:17 pm »
got some work done today..

-did a #$%*load of body work on the tank and got her painted.
-set float height on carbs and installed new jets..125 mains to start
-my bowl gaskets showed up from TAS motorsports..arrived after 2days ship time and they even sent a few peices of candy (and boy do i have a sweet tooth- i eat skittles by the pound)  ;D

-73 cb500 forks showed up.  these forks use a different damper rod setup than the stock units so i used the entire fork assembly with some modifications.  i removed the cb500 progressive fork springs and installed cb750 springs that have been cut 2".  the 750 springs are a good bit stiffer than the 500 units before cutting, and after shortening 2" they should be just enough to keep them from bottoming out with my short shock travel.  i also replaced the fork seals and filled em' up with 15w oil.  the 500 forks are already 2" shorter than the stock 750 forks so after shortening the spring and sliding the tubes up in the triples an inch, id say the front is lowerd about 4"...coupled with cyclex fork gaitors, she really looks the part  8)

and pics..

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 11:37:53 am »
3" shorter struts to replace the shocks (for now until i have the $ to buy short shocks)

had to cut 2" out of the kickstand since the bike is so low now..cut a section out and TIG'd her back together

and mocked up the fenders.  i need opinion on these..should i leave the back fender longer or tuck it up in so its shorter?  also, the fenders are beat so im gonna pick up new ones..should i stick to chrome (stock) or color match them to the tank?

short rear fender:

long rear fender:

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
  • 4 out of 3 people have a problem with fractions
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 11:58:19 am »
looks pretty good.  IMO, I like the look of the longer rear fender especially if you're going for that old school look.  I'm mixed on the chrome vs. paint though.  If the pipes were chrome, I'd say go for chrome fenders.  Since you painted them black, maybe the almond paint will look better.  Can't wait to see it when your'e done.

Offline bunghole

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 12:55:25 pm »
Impressive work.  I wish I had the skills you have.  Someday...
'05 HD FLSTCI (Heritage)
'06 Suzuki DRZ400S
'08 Honda VFR800
'77 Honda CB750K

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 08:12:03 pm »
Hmmmm.....  I think the fenders look good either way - I'm leaning toward the shorter one though.
Lookin good.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline Tim in Ohio

• So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 09:34:50 pm »
I like the looks of the shorter rear fender. 
1973 Honda CB350  Four

Check out my CB350F resto project...  watch a complete moron build a bike in front of your very eyes!: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=38903.0

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 05:36:24 am »
I say go with the longer fender and paint them to match the tank.

Looking good so far.

It's weird, I normally use Firefox for all my web browsing, but when I try to open up this thread in Firefox, it freezes up my browser. I have use Safari instead. Odd.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 06:07:54 am »
thanks for all of the compliments and suggestions guys..keep em' coming! 

It's weird, I normally use Firefox for all my web browsing, but when I try to open up this thread in Firefox, it freezes up my browser. I have use Safari instead. Odd.

interesting..all my pics are hosted through photobucket so i dont see why there would be a difference from any other thread.. ???

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 06:03:44 am »
interesting..all my pics are hosted through photobucket so i dont see why there would be a difference from any other thread.. ???

Yeah. I have no clue why that is... Oh well. At least I have another way to view the thread, right?  ;D ;D
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
  • 4 out of 3 people have a problem with fractions
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 06:16:16 am »

Yeah. I have no clue why that is... Oh well. At least I have another way to view the thread, right?  ;D ;D

I use Firefox and don't have any problems with this thread.  Did you check for any updates?

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 06:34:53 am »
I use Firefox and don't have any problems with this thread.  Did you check for any updates?

Yeah, I'm all updated and don't have any issues viewing any other thread. Weird.

Oh well - Back to the thread at hand!!   ;D
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 07:45:44 am »
i got her started yesterday for the first time!  she sounds pretty good but isnt running very well...opening the throttle causes popping/hesitation and very slow revving.  sounds like its loadin up but upon inspecting the plugs it looks lean.

im running velocity stacks and the carbs are using 40 pilots, 125 mains, and the needle clip is second notch from the bottom. how many turns is everyone using for idle air screws? 

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 08:06:31 am »

I can't get to the first page for the same reason (using FF), bogged down trying to load photobucket.
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker
70 750K0 motor-Dick in a Box

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 05:12:05 am »
messed with her a bit more yesterday and it seems i have a bad coil.  im getting a misfire at idle.  it only seems to be 1 lead from one of the coils as it started on cylinder 4 and after swapping wires, it moved to cylinder 1.  if i rev her up a bit, the misfire clears up (although the jetting still feels way off in the midrange).  i need to double check the points and then i guess its time for new coils.

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 10:02:18 am »
Dyna-S from Z1 Enterprizes. Never mess with points again.  ;)
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline Johnny5

• Master
    • CB350F build thread
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 12:37:28 pm »
DP,

Bike is looking rad. Personally, I dig the shorter fender on what you got going on this bike. Both look cool though. Love the white.

Keep up the nice work.
www.kerosenecycles.com
1971 CB350
1973 CB350F
2006 Harley Springer Classic