Author Topic: My FAT ASS was the problem!!!  (Read 2562 times)

kurtanton

My FAT ASS was the problem!!!
« on: September 20, 2005, 09:27:30 am »
Hi,

Ok, so I this morning I woke up thinking maybe it is an airflow problem. Sure enough, when I bought the bike it ran fine, then before driving it for more than 5 miles I started tearing it apart and tricked it out to be a cafe racer. BUT, weighing 200lbs the new seat pan flexed down and completely cut off  the air inlet pipe when I am sitting on it! Had I paid closer attention to if I was on the bike, did I have the pan down, and things like that, maybe I would have realized this sooner. To test my theory I popped the seat rev-ed the engine and it ran perfectly, then I stuck my hand over the inlet BINGO BANGO same problem! Phew, what an easy fix, eh? Is it ok that I took off that top pipe, and now the air enters directly into the airfilter box? Maybe I should just go to POD filters, eh? Nevertheless, thanks for all your help, especially who ever mentioned an airflow problem that planted the seed in my head. I checked the filter before and thought it was fine, and I guess it was, turns out it was my FAT ASS cutting off the air flow!!!

Thanks again,
-Kurt

p.s. HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS FUN TO RIDE NOW!!!!

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
Re: My FAT ASS was the problem!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 09:46:43 am »
KURTANTON---> Don't feel bad. People overlook the obvious all the time, espcially when dealing with air and such.
I had a similar issue on my CB , so I did alittle Home Depot customizing , and came out with the stacks-o-death ......
They look good , will look even better once they start to turn , keep my pant legs from cutting off air supply , and fill up that big open space quite nicely, in my opinion....

P.S. ---> Sweet Bike , post some more pics or email them to me at Joe@Americasopenroad.com
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 10:01:35 am by ProTeal55 »
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline Einyodeler

• Expert
  • Midnight bugs taste best!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 10:11:16 am »
Proteal Great idea on those stacks,they look sharp ;)

On my stock airbox I drilled holes in the back and bottom for more airflow
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 04:38:17 am by Glenn Stauffer »
1972 CB500 - 1973 CB500 - 1974 CB550K - 1975 CB550F - 1975 CB750F - 1976 CJ360 - 1983 CR480 - 1970 BSA A65T Thunderbolt

Download Motorcycle Shop Manuals here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 10:22:41 am »
pro teal,those are cool.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 10:33:19 am »
Thanks for the comments on the stacks. They have been on the bike for awhile. I made them first from PVC , just to save on the cost , and make sure the bike ran ok with them on. I am gonna go with a 45 on the far end carbs to get a different look , and keep the inner carbs with the 90's on them...

If anyone wants a set made, I will glady make up another set for them. Just shoot me an email.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 10:46:41 am »
proteal,

I hope you have screens in there or a unifilter stuffed down in it because otherwise you are just sucking up the road grime and waiting for a stone to kick up into the engine. Other than that it is a cool design.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 10:56:05 am »
Geeto67------>
Their are screens on the stacks, so nothing too big is getting in the motor.
The stacks were on the bike when I bought it , eventually gonna get some pod style K&N filters, should look
even better. Stacks are cool , but I feel better about actually having a filter on the carbs...

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 02:04:58 pm »
Just a note about the purpose of air filters.  Dust ingested into an internal combustion engine is rather abrasive.  When combined with the fuel/air through the carbs and exploded in the cylinders, it does a fair job of blasting metal off of cylinder walls.
Drag racers don't usually care about such wear as engines are routinely and frequently rebuilt.   Cylinder sleeves and new pistons often renewed.  There is usually some expectation of longevity for a street bike, though.  Clearly it matters just how much and what type of dust is ingested, as to how fast wear will occur.  But, wear will happen.  I imagine dry climates are of more concern about dust than one where rain is more frequent.  But, when it dries out, dust happens.

FYI
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 02:38:42 pm »
I got v stacks on my 550 chop. They have screens but I was worried about the dust so I got a sheet of uni-filter material (blue/green dirtbike filter material) and put it ahead of the screens. Works like a charm to keep everything outbut air. You might wanna try that with your cool vstack setup because K&Ns are kinda bellybutton right now.

I actually have some of the old cafe racer style chrome airboxes (I usually buy then cheap off ebay) that I retro fit with unifilters since the old filters are long since discontinued.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 04:05:28 pm »
I actually have a gravel alley at my house , so dust is a concern of mine.

We have these nifty little pre-filter setups for stacks here at my work , which i was thinking about picking up. They have two screens in them , to block more of the bad stuff out. Not as good as an actuall filter , but better than nothing. At $40 a crack , I think I will make something myself....