Poll

cleaning?

grease
5 (21.7%)
varnish
18 (78.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: CARBS CLEANING  (Read 9361 times)

sam163

CARBS CLEANING
« on: November 03, 2008, 03:46:31 am »
Hey!

Any idea on what will be the best product for cleaning the carbs on my CB550?

Thanks in advance!

Offline DaytonGuy

• Enthusiast
Re: CARBS CLEANING
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 04:48:41 am »
If the poll at the top of the page suggests you will be using either grease or varnish to clean your carbs.......I don't think you'll have much luck with either.... :o

You can do a search and find pages and pages of carb cleaning posts.  I used Simple Green and was pretty satisfied.  Others dip theirs in carb cleaner...go figure.  You want to clean your carbs and you use carb cleaner.......Why didn't I think of that!

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 06:31:43 am »
The most recent set of carbs I cleaned I used Berrymans carb cleaner to loosen up the internal goo, and simplegreen and a vibrating toothbrush to scrub the muck off of the outside. Also used carb cleaner in a spraycan to verify the passages are actually clear.

I'm actually kinda wishing I had scrubbed the outside of my carbs when i had them apart last time.
The visual difference is stunning.

But on my choice in carb cleaners...
I have heard nothing bad(except the smell) about Berrymans. 5 or 6 sets of carb cleanings later. I am pleased, it was WELL worth the 20 or 30 i paid for it.

And simplegreen... well I have it around anyways. Why not use it, one less thing the wife will suspect i'm buying for my projects.  ;D ;D

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:08:20 am »
Do a search and you will find a thread on using Simple Green. It eats varnish.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline oldhondarider

• http://indimediaimages-shepdog.blogspot.com/
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 07:29:35 am »
SIMPLE GREEN ROCKS!  Dump your parts in.... wait....wait...wait.. pull them out..brush them off..little rinse....    TAAADAA!!!!  #$%*in'
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:19:42 am by oldhondarider »
"I have never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A little bird will fall dead, frozen from a bough, without ever having felt sorry for itself."   D. H. Lawrence

Welsh Customs, Tacoma Washington

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 07:57:17 am »
I have read a lot in here about people using Simple Green and all the results show to be good.  I have usually just used Gumout and my air compressor. 

To reduce varnish buildup, I run Shell premium and add Seafoam twice a year or when it idles funny.  The seafoam usually has it cleared in about an hours worth of driving.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

sam163

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 08:56:47 pm »
Great!

Simple green it will be...

Offline papp101

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:20:36 pm »
2 questions on simple green -

How much would you buy for a rack of carbs? Is it expensive?

And can I use it as a parts cleaner for the rest of my jug/ports in my teardown project? I need something non-flammable to use in the basement this winter.

Offline oldhondarider

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 06:49:25 am »

And can I use it as a parts cleaner for the rest of my jug/ports in my teardown project? I need something non-flammable to use in the basement this winter.

I bought 2 bottles of SG..about 6bucks a piece and went with a 50/50 SG to hot water ratio...First I sprayed everything down with a carb cleaner to get the big crap off.... quick wash.... then teardown and  let the soak it a litte SG bathfor a while... worked like a charm..

I dunno what to use on the rest of your parts.... I'll leave that to the experts of the forum...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:58:59 am by oldhondarider »
"I have never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A little bird will fall dead, frozen from a bough, without ever having felt sorry for itself."   D. H. Lawrence

Welsh Customs, Tacoma Washington

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 08:14:02 am »

I bought 2 bottles of SG..about 6bucks a piece and went with a 50/50 SG to hot water ratio...First I sprayed everything down with a carb cleaner to get the big crap off.... quick wash.... then teardown and  let the soak it a litte SG bathfor a while... worked like a charm..

I dunno what to use on the rest of your parts.... I'll leave that to the experts of the forum...
SG is pretty cheap and I came upon using it since I did not want to stink up my workshop and the house. It will not attack rubber or plastic. Some people reported a small whiteish deposit so I would flush everything very well and blow air through the passages. I would suggest you pass a strand a of copper wire through every pasaage in the idle circuit and main jets. Hondaman explained that the MBTE they used in the gas caused a buildup.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline void909

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 11:16:26 pm »
How long do you leave it in the simple green? Hours? Days?
knock with no answer

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 09:03:52 am »
Just about an hour or so. It works pretty quick.

low550

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 07:44:22 pm »
simple green works pretty good on just about anything. i even use it to clean the powder debris from my black powder rifle. you can get it at wal-mart, lowes, home depot,. in the u.s. but i don't know about outside the u.s.

john dover

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 10:12:40 am »
The throttle cables are frozen at the grip on my CB750 (manufactured 1972, titled as 1973).  Bike has been sitting for many years.  I removed the fuel tank and and am looking at the pully/bell crank and tried to lubricate the cables from the bottom as well as at the grip.  With only a Clymer book I don't know were from here.  Any suggestions please?

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 04:04:29 pm »
Are your cables frozen or the slides? My bike sat for 15 years. The varnish glued the slides in place. I would check that if you have not already.

Offline swan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 04:20:09 pm »
Simple Green, 3M scrub pad for metal and beer (optional).

Cut your cables and replace.
1975 CB400 F cafes, 1974 CB750 K4 Cafe, 1966/1976 Triumph/ Norton Triton Cafe and 1962 DBD34 BSA Gold Star Clubman.

CB750 build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=52551.0

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 06:04:18 pm »
Simple Green, if used at high concentration or length of time, will discolor aluminum. Turns it dark gray. This is unattractive. The condition will improve with scrubbing and polishing compounds but adds much more work to what is purported to be a "simple" job. Use care with SG, or you might regret your decision. There are others to confirm my own experience.
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker
70 750K0 motor-Dick in a Box

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 06:16:28 pm »
I first posted it and I use it 100% and have had no issues. 2 hours is all u need.

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 08:48:22 pm »
I first posted it and I use it 100% and have had no issues. 2 hours is all u need.

Glad to hear you've had no issues using it. I read a fair amount on this forum about using SG before I used it and followed other people's methods only to be disappointed at the results. I used 50% dilution overnight on two carbs per others suggestions and had the discoloration issue. I trimmed the time to a couple hours and 50% dilution on the second two carbs and had better results. It certainly is effective at loosening gunk, varnish and the like.

I just want others to know that it is not fool-proof and that there are limits to be observed.
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker
70 750K0 motor-Dick in a Box

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 07:35:00 am »
My original recommendation was full strength for a hour. I would say you could get discoloration after a prolonged period. I tried it out of desperation not wanting to use volatile chemicals in an enclosed environment. It is only one of many products available. In the spring a bucket of Berrymans or other solvent based cleaner would be fine outside.

john dover

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 01:34:26 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  After talking to a friend he also agreed carbs slides could be stuck by varnish.  I will attempt this.

dieselndixie

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 06:57:00 pm »
thats exactly what mine where....thought it was cable or carb mechanism, but was only varnish