Author Topic: Dyna S ignition problem  (Read 28558 times)

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
Dyna S ignition problem
« on: November 17, 2008, 02:44:45 am »
While riding home, I dropped # 2 and 3 cylinders after about 5-10 min riding.  Checked the connections from the Dyna and spark plug connections.  Started the bike, still running on # 1 and 4 cylinders.  Gave it a few revs and presto back on all 4.  Rode another 15 mins, stopped for about 2 hours then on the road again.  Once again, 5-10 min down the road and dropped # 2 and 3.  Being night I kept going home 20 mins away.

Today I decided to fault find.  I pulled apart the Dyna connections, cleaned them and put them together.  Started the bike up, no problems.  5-10 mins of running at about 2000rpm it dropped # 2 and 3.  Took voltages where the Dyna connects with the blue and yellow wires in the harness.  Blue about 2.5 - 2.8 V (can't remember exactly), and yellow 1.1 V maybe a bit more can't remember that either.

I changed the wires over on the coil and the plug leads to the cylinders thinking that it maybe a bad coil.  Started up ok and after a few mins if that and it dropped # 2 and 3 cylinders using the other coil.  Ok then, I know it's not the coil.  Checked all the wires and all seemed to be fine.

I'm wondering if it is the module itself for # 2 and 3 cylinder on the Dyna ignition is breaking down due to heat? 

Coils are new well 6 months of working, Dyna is just over 12 months with 6 months of working, I rebuilt the bike start of the year. 

Anyone got any suggestions, thoughts or ideas? 

Thanks
1971 CB750 K1 - Sold
1978 CB750 F2 Supersport - Sold
1981 CB900 Bol d'or - Sold
2006 CBR1100 XX Super Blackbird - Sold

Offline Wayne Meuir

• Enthusiast
Re: Dyna S ignition problem
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 05:03:55 am »
I had a similar problem on a 78 F model with a Dyna S. except that it would only run on #1 & #4 even when cold. #2 & #3 were totally dead. It turned out to be a bad connection. I unplugged all three wires from the Dyna S and discovered the red wire (hot wire)was broken. I replaced both the male and female bullet connectors where they plugged together, plugged all three wires back up and it fixed the problem.  The Dyna S wire is really too light a guage wire in my opinion.  I actually broke that wire while trying to crimp a new bullet connector onto it and had to  restrip it and put yet another connector on it.

I did have a Dyna S pick up that was bad right out of the box on another bike.  It would run for about 5 or 6 minutes and then it would die.  I ending up sending the entire Dyna S back to Dynatek for a warranty replacement. They will not let you send just the pick up back, you have to send the entire unit back. If you look on the back of the plate the pick ups are mounted on, there is a date that will tell you if it is in warranty or not.  If it is only 6 months old, it is under warranty.

If you do that, be sure to tell the Dynatek Customer Service person that it will work cold, but dies after a few minutes running time.  Evidently they do a cold static test, so when they tested mine, it tested good and they sent it back as a "No Trouble Found".  I reinstalled it and it ran about 5 minutes and died again.  I called them back and told them what it was doing, returned it to them again and they sent me an entire new unit.

Wayne
No problems that winning the lottery wouldn't fix

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:37:55 am »
This failure is typical of the way the "S" units die: they get electrically "leaky" when hot. Then they won't turn OFF when the magnet goes by.

For some reason, I've been hearing about these a bunch this year. This is the #6 failure of the Dyna "S" in the SOHC4 forums alone, since January of this year. Four of them were using 3-ohm coils, and one was using stock coils. What coils are you using?

Ever since the "S" was created, and according to Dyna's own literature, they advised against using these "S" triggers with the 3-ohm coils unless also using the "amplifier box", like the Dyna III. It's just marginally too much load on the "S" switches to use them alone with low-ohm coils. But, for some reason, last Fall their Technical Advice phone line people suddenly started saying it was OK to use them with 3 ohm coils.

IMO, I think they have an uninformed employee there, doing something that shouldn't be happening.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Jeff.Saunders

• Enthusiast
  • Obsessed by Old Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:20:18 am »
From what we are seeing, a number of the failures are caused by suspect regulators.  The Dyna-S is susceptible to both high-voltage and low-voltage spikes.  The high-voltage is fairly common with bikes running the old original regulators.  It is well worth doing a charging system check when installing an electronic ignition.  If you check voltage across the battery terminals at idle, you should see around 12.5v, as the rpms rise, the voltage should cap around 14v.  If the voltage continues to climb past 15v then the regulator isn't doing it's job. 

The low-voltage condition can be caused by poor wiring harness health or running the bike with a dead battery. 

I'm not sure I understand why the Dyna-S is impacted by low voltage - but that's what they've told us.

Offline Wayne Meuir

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:33:44 am »
Two related questions:

What is the resistance of the Stock CB750 coils?

If Dynatek does not recommend the 3 Ohm coils, what are they recommending?

On my Waterbuffalo, I have stock coils that measure 4.5-5.0 Ohms and the Dyna S works great.  I had to make that system out of two Dyna S kits because I had to have three pick ups.  I also had to make the mounting plate.  One of those kits is the one that had the "out of box" failure.  I replaced the bad unit with the one they sent me under warranty and it has been working great for more than a year so far.  On that set up, I replaced the tiny wires that came with the Dyna S with larger wire.

Wayne

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:41:19 am »
Not a dyna S user... but it's interesting to hear of another user of Dynatek's products that have mod'ed them.

I made a DOHC750 dyna2000 kit fit a cb650. Had to graft the pickups onto a cb650 plate, and re-locate the locating pin....
Gotta love dynatek!

l8r

-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline KRONUS0100

• MAD MATT THE MANIAC
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 12:15:06 pm »
This is interesting......My 750F is doing the same thing....I was assuming it was due to no fuel flow. Mine cuts in and out, may start with the problem, may develope while riding...but it always comes and goes...like it is not getting fuel.  Perhaps I need to check the wiring.  By the way...it has done this with both stock 750 coils and the dyna 3 ohm green coils it has now. And my coils get power straight from the battery on a new 14 guage wire with the stock kill switch.My dyna is powered of this wire as well.  Question is...why is it only the #2 and #3 cylinders afected?
MATT
current bikes:  1976 CB750F, 1981 GS1100E
bikes owned:1981 GL1100I, 1990 GS500E, 1981 GS850, 1977 and 1979 GS750, 1974 CB750, 1975 CB750, and a 1982 GS750E

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:59:29 pm »
From what we are seeing, a number of the failures are caused by suspect regulators.  The Dyna-S is susceptible to both high-voltage and low-voltage spikes.  The high-voltage is fairly common with bikes running the old original regulators.  It is well worth doing a charging system check when installing an electronic ignition.  If you check voltage across the battery terminals at idle, you should see around 12.5v, as the rpms rise, the voltage should cap around 14v.  If the voltage continues to climb past 15v then the regulator isn't doing it's job. 

The low-voltage condition can be caused by poor wiring harness health or running the bike with a dead battery. 

I'm not sure I understand why the Dyna-S is impacted by low voltage - but that's what they've told us.

Right you are, Jeff.
The high-voltage failure mode is due to the kickback on the coils exceeding the VCEO of the triggers themselves. At 14.5vDC supply, the Dyna 3-ohm coils kick back over 500 volts peak, and the triggers are rated at 450 v. While thee tiny wires teend to dissipate some of this voltage, it slowly hammers the triggers in the high-voltage scenario. Also, high voltage leads to higher coil currents, which adds more heat to the triggers, not helping the situation. If you heat a semiconductor and then hit it with high voltage pulses, it changes the base layer silicon, which then can punch a low-resistance "hole" through the control layer, whether it be FET, bipolar or Hall Effect devices: they all act very similarly. The latter is the Dyna S trigger unit. The net effect: the device becomes turned partially ON as soon as it gets warm (>125 degrees F is typically where they should be measured).

The low-voltage failure mode is more subtle: once a Hall Effect device gets switched ON (in the case of the Dyna triggers, they are always ON), it requires a certain amount of current or magnetic flux to turn it back OFF. The circuitry inside these triggers, if it is still the same as it was in the early 1980s, requires a bias of at least 10 volts to set up the flux trigger level to match the little magnet's strength in the advancer. If the voltage is lower than this, the units have trouble turning OFF when the magnet swings by, and the spark gets weak from lack of an OFF pulse. Essentially, it's like having a short across the trigger. After the units have been constantly ON for a long time, they sometimes get weakened from the heat. In years past, Dyna used to advise "Don't let the ignition sit ON with the engine not running, or the triggers may overheat." I have not seen this warning in their recent literature, just like the 'missing' warning about not using the 3 ohm coils with the "S" sets.

One way you can test if yours is failing: the 2-3 set usually has trouble aligning the gap just right, due to the geometry of the baseplate. If you can widen the slots in the plate to allow for more distance on the 1-4 side and pull the 2-3 closer than the 1-4, then find that the 2-3 works better, you know your set is weakening. The closer proximity to the magnet will let it work better, for a while. But, once (and IF) the units have been overheated, it's a bit like running an engine out of oil: failure is only a matter of time.

This is interesting......My 750F is doing the same thing....I was assuming it was due to no fuel flow. Mine cuts in and out, may start with the problem, may develope while riding...but it always comes and goes...like it is not getting fuel.  Perhaps I need to check the wiring.  By the way...it has done this with both stock 750 coils and the dyna 3 ohm green coils it has now. And my coils get power straight from the battery on a new 14 guage wire with the stock kill switch.My dyna is powered of this wire as well.  Question is...why is it only the #2 and #3 cylinders afected?

That last statement should help you see why the 2-3 is the most commonly affected set, Kronos. This has always been the case with the Dyna S units, and the setup instructions they send will give you that clue. Getting the 2-3 distance equal to the 1-4 distance is critical to a long-lived Dyna S setup.

Two related questions:

What is the resistance of the Stock CB750 coils?

If Dynatek does not recommend the 3 Ohm coils, what are they recommending?

On my Waterbuffalo, I have stock coils that measure 4.5-5.0 Ohms and the Dyna S works great.  I had to make that system out of two Dyna S kits because I had to have three pick ups.  I also had to make the mounting plate.  One of those kits is the one that had the "out of box" failure.  I replaced the bad unit with the one they sent me under warranty and it has been working great for more than a year so far.  On that set up, I replaced the tiny wires that came with the Dyna S with larger wire.

Wayne

Good job, Wayne! Those bikes are sure a lot of work to tune up, aren't they? I remember them well. The stock Honda coils are 4.2 to 4.6 ohms, typically. Dyna used to recommend stock coils or their 5 ohm coils for the "S".

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 12:35:02 am »
I'm running the Dyna S on my k1, stock coils no problems.  On the F2 I'm using CB900 aftermarket coils.

I took off the Dyna S system, checked all the wires, seemed ok put it back on and bolted the plate on in a different position, just rotated it.  Then static timed it so I had to move the modules.  Connected it all back up and it worked.  Ran the bike for 10 mins and it didn't stop.  Voltages were blue 2.86 and yellow 2.9.

While I had the multimeter out I checked the voltages across the battery.  12.6 at idle 1000 rpm and 13.7 at 4000 rpm with the lights on, no high beam.  Battery is 2 months old.

I'm wondering about what Hondaman mentioned previously.  By adjusting the base plate and then the modules, maybe the gap between 2-3 and the magnet has changed and is now closer which may have fixed the problem....for now at least.

One way you can test if yours is failing: the 2-3 set usually has trouble aligning the gap just right, due to the geometry of the baseplate. If you can widen the slots in the plate to allow for more distance on the 1-4 side and pull the 2-3 closer than the 1-4, then find that the 2-3 works better, you know your set is weakening. The closer proximity to the magnet will let it work better, for a while. But, once (and IF) the units have been overheated, it's a bit like running an engine out of oil: failure is only a matter of time.
(not sure how you guys get the 'Quote from' bit up the top to work)

So what other options other than back to points and condenser do we have?

Has anyone tried other electronic ignitions to much success?
1971 CB750 K1 - Sold

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 01:10:21 am »

Has anyone tried other electronic ignitions to much success?

Yeah Hondamans.....LOL.

Tho its transistor or some solid state magic....

Works like a top.

Hondamans to polite and modest to toot his own horn...but in my opinion he has a better set up.
Stranger in a strange land

Offline KRONUS0100

• MAD MATT THE MANIAC
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 07:12:15 am »
ok...so if it is indeed the 2-3 trigger failing...can I get another trigger from Dynatek...as mine is 3 years at least on the bike.  Call them and find out I guess.
MATT
bikes owned:1981 GL1100I, 1990 GS500E, 1981 GS850, 1977 and 1979 GS750, 1974 CB750, 1975 CB750, and a 1982 GS750E

Offline Wayne Meuir

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 07:46:47 am »
Dynatek will not sell you a single pick up.  I tried that.  The want to seel the entire unit.
I think they ahve a 2 year warranty, not absolutely sure, but if so, then yours is out of warranty.

Hondaman, what is your iggy that has been referred to above?  Do you amek these to sell or just one off's for yourself and friends?

Wayne

Offline KRONUS0100

• MAD MATT THE MANIAC
  • Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 08:21:22 am »
ok ok ok...waht slots are we talking about widening.....the 3 mounting holes around the perimeter of the base plate?  My modules are already at the very ends of their built in slots.  The allen screws that mount them are in fixed holes in the base plate.  My modules to rotor air gape is about.045"...or.005" too much.  been that for years.  Waiting on a response from email I sent Dynoman Performance.
MATT

Offline KRONUS0100

• MAD MATT THE MANIAC
  • Expert
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 11:27:19 am »
got reply from dynoman.....they say they can get me a deal on new unit direct from dynotek for 69.00...all I gotta do is call em.   Went out checked plugs...ice even tan color all across......so when they fire they fire hot given my set up.
MATT

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 08:08:47 pm »
Dynatek will not sell you a single pick up.  I tried that.  The want to seel the entire unit.
I think they ahve a 2 year warranty, not absolutely sure, but if so, then yours is out of warranty.

Hondaman, what is your iggy that has been referred to above?  Do you amek these to sell or just one off's for yourself and friends?

Wayne

Wayne: check out the ignition here:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=40485.msg416929#msg416929
I designed them for this forum, although I'm seeing them creeping into Kaws and Suzys, too. I build a few at a time, sometimes a custom one per order, nothing fancy. They are very durable, and the "Basic" ones are real Plain Jane, don't look fancy, so save costs. They are strong enough to run a car ignition, and presently are running in several cars.

I give a 5-year, 100% warranty, and they are Plug-and-Ride to install, no wiring mods needed (for stock wiring harnesses). If you should ever find a way to fry the electronics, you just switch the points wires back into the coil wires (about 5 minutes on the side of the road), and ride on. This unit uses the points to trigger some transistors, which then switch the coils. This lets the points last for a VERY long time, and lets you also do some trick tuning things that would not otherwise be possible.

And, they help support SOHC4, and sometimes, some of the hurting members. I'll never make a living at it, but it's fun to see so many SOHC4s back on the street from them!

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 08:28:54 pm »
LOL your too modest....
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Wayne Meuir

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 05:01:00 am »
Hondaman, Thanks,  If it turns out the Dyna S has crapped, I will give one of your a go.  I don't have the points plate or anything, so I will have to find one of those.  I assume the Dyna S uses the stock timing advance, so probably all I need is the points plate and rotor.

Wayne

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 05:10:35 am »
Hondaman, Thanks,  If it turns out the Dyna S has crapped, I will give one of your a go.  I don't have the points plate or anything, so I will have to find one of those.  I assume the Dyna S uses the stock timing advance, so probably all I need is the points plate and rotor.

Wayne

The Dyna S replaced the points cam on the spark advancer with a similarly-shaped unit that has a magnet in it. So, you'll need either the original points cam to put back on, or get another advancer somewhere. Any of the 750 models' advancers will fit well enough to run it. Lots of SOHC4-ers have points plates that could be reused: I asked here once, and got 3! I'm using them on the Hondaman Special bikes. Everyone will help you out.

Offline KRONUS0100

• MAD MATT THE MANIAC
  • Expert
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 02:16:20 pm »
Just came in from the actual cold outside....hey its where my bike is sitting.  Anyhow...may have found my problem with my Dyna.  The Dyna instructions say to fully advance the rotor to the 1&4 cylinder advance mark to make the test light (static timing) come on, while rotating the engine in a forward direction.  Then if 1&4 are out, rotate the base plate.  If everything ok, proceed to cylinders 2&3.  The baseplate slots are not long enough to make the light come on.  Now....I know what I did.  I installed mine like a set of points.......I brought the advance rotor button all the way up to the F mark for cylinders 1&4 with 1 at top dead center.  When I did this, I made sure the baseplate slots were centered on the screws.  I made corresponding marks for the magnet and triggers so I could see them, then I moved the left module for 1&4 so the marks lined up, did the same for 2&3.  The bike has run flawlessly for the better part of 3 years, now I have this problem with 2&3 cutting out.
Hondaman...here is where I am lost.......when I set mine up originally.....did I not set it up so that it had no advance at high RPM?     If so,  why did it run so damned well?  We're talking 7500 shifts with no bog......80mph no problem....up to 100/115 with little problem.  Every so often felt like running out of fuel, but not all the time.  Your thoughts please.
MATT

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 06:18:57 pm »
The instructions for installing the dyna ignition are not the best.  I static time my bikes and set it up on the 'F' mark on both 1/4 and 2/3.  Then I run the bike and check it with a strobe at about 3000rpm which is on full mechanical advance and it lines up with the advanced marks on the plate and the mark on the engine case.

Setting it full advanced either by static timing or by strobe idling is setting yourself up for trouble.  Been there done that.  Bike backfires through carby, starting problems, idle problems.  However, when you get up the revs to where your engine operates on full advanced you have no problems.  The further you advance your timing, you will reach a point where you will not get any better performance out of your bike and the EGT rises and your pipes will start to change colour.  Blue does look nice on some occasions.  You can advance your timing beyond what it recommended if you are not running a stock engine for example different cams.  I've also seen a CB750 run better with the ignition timing slightly retarded and go like a rocket for a stock engine.

Always set your timing up on the F mark initially and then check that the timing marks for full advanced line up with engine running with about 3000 rpm (two vertical lines to the right of the F mark).  You can adjust as required from there.  I'm not saying leave it always on this as sometimes you can get better running and performance by either retarding or advancing the timing. 

If you set your timing on the F mark by either static or strobe and find out on full advanced that the marks don't line up, you may have a problem with your mechanical advance unit.  I had this problems so no matter where I set the timing, that's where it stayed.

I'm sure someone out there will disagree.  I've done a lot of testing on my bikes, found out what works and what doesn't.  There are some good old books out there on engine performance and tuning such as:
Performance Tuning in Theory & Practice by A. Graham Bell  (cars and bikes) 1st edition
Tuning for Speed
Automotive Engine Tuning by P. E. Irving (cars and bikes)

With enough time and patients, you should be able to get your bike running well.  If not, spend more money and get someone else to have a look at it.

1971 CB750 K1 - Sold

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 08:30:16 pm »
Just came in from the actual cold outside....hey its where my bike is sitting.  Anyhow...may have found my problem with my Dyna.  The Dyna instructions say to fully advance the rotor to the 1&4 cylinder advance mark to make the test light (static timing) come on, while rotating the engine in a forward direction.  Then if 1&4 are out, rotate the base plate.  If everything ok, proceed to cylinders 2&3.  The baseplate slots are not long enough to make the light come on.  Now....I know what I did.  I installed mine like a set of points.......I brought the advance rotor button all the way up to the F mark for cylinders 1&4 with 1 at top dead center.  When I did this, I made sure the baseplate slots were centered on the screws.  I made corresponding marks for the magnet and triggers so I could see them, then I moved the left module for 1&4 so the marks lined up, did the same for 2&3.  The bike has run flawlessly for the better part of 3 years, now I have this problem with 2&3 cutting out.
Hondaman...here is where I am lost.......when I set mine up originally.....did I not set it up so that it had no advance at high RPM?     If so,  why did it run so damned well?  We're talking 7500 shifts with no bog......80mph no problem....up to 100/115 with little problem.  Every so often felt like running out of fuel, but not all the time.  Your thoughts please.

Well, first thing: the advance comes from the spark advancer itself. So, don't confuse yourself about the advance.  ??? This can be easily checked if you have a timing light, too. The Hall Effect sensors that Dyna uses are distance-sensitive, like most of them are. The little magnet in the advancer has only so much flux, so the pickups have to be positioned so that their distance from the magnet is close enough to trigger at full strength. This is the Achilles Heel of the system, and is often not explained (or understood) by Dyna to its customers. So, maybe a bit of the theory will help:

I think the max distance Dyna specs for the trigger-to-magnet is .060" (users, jump in here...), so for the sake of discussion, let's use that number...

If the trigger is set .060" away from the magnet, there is just enough magnetic flux to switch OFF the trigger when the magnet appears. Making it closer will trigger it sooner in crankshaft degrees: this is easy to see with a timing light, too. This is because the magnet's flux pattern actually resembles a flared mushroom at the little flat spot, so pushing the trigger closer lets it find the magnet a bit sooner it the rotation. Moving it back makes it later, until you get so far that it will not trigger at higher RPM, because the trigger does have a bit of a lag to it: the magnet comes and goes by too fast if the trigger is too far back, at speed. Just to confuse things, it still works OK at slow speeds...  :P

So...ideally, you would want to set the triggers to be about .030" to .040" away (1/2 to 3/4 of the active distance) from the magnet. This should give nice, crisp switching action. Setting both triggers this way can be tricky, because the circuit board that Dyna uses is not all that accurate, nor is it temperature stable, dimensionally speaking (the middle hole gets bigger with temperature, about +.008" at 250 degrees). Dyna has had their instructions rewritten many times, confusing this issue: I would always start with equal distances on the pickups, then twist the baseplate until 1-4 lined up at idle under a timing light, then see how far I had to adjust the 2-3 set to get its timing right. (Many times I was found widening the slots with a rat-tailed file.) If they would not all line up, I'd "split the difference" in the distances, and try again. It was not unusual to spend several hours trying to get one set up just right. On the plus side, once they are set up, they generally last about 2-3 years of miles before the trigger wear makes you have to move them closer to the magnet again to get the same performance back. After that, they generally last until they die, if they do die. Some seem to last forever.

When the RPM goes up, the distance between magnet and trigger becomes critical. As the engine heats up, the triggers are also less able to quickly switch OFF to make the spark, and the timing starts to lag late. The trigger that is farthest from the magnet will be affected more than the other, and the engine feels weak and unbalanced due to unequal sparks. Then, when it cools off, or gets below that "magic" temperature, it runs okay again. If the triggers are close enough to the magnet to ensure full switchoff, this problem rarely appears unless the triggers are suffering from some damage (or low bike voltage).

The underlying "error", as I call it in this system, is the very short OFF dwell duration of these triggers. Honda's coils are designed for a full discharge time of a little over 1.7 milliseconds (that's how long their spark lasts). But, at engine speeds over 4500 RPM, presuming perfect magnet-trigger distances, the magnet dwell is already less than this required discharge time, so the coils begin to display a patially-charged magnetic field which resists their full charge for the next spark cycle. In other words, spark droop is more severe than with (good) points. This spark duration is important to the swirl-charge burn time in these shrouded-head cylinders, because the swirling charge is expecting a 1.7mS burn time to ignite everything properly. A shorter spark duration results in lost power, period. Higher spark voltage will not make this up, so just switching to high-voltage coils, while still using the triggers, does not help. Example: Dyna's 3-ohm coils discharge in 1.2mS, unless there are some other electronics to damp the spark a little for a longer burn (that's my ignition unit, but that's a different story, and a secret...  ::) ).

That said, burnt points also display this same 'lost high-RPM spark' scenario, typically after about 8,000 to 10,000 miles. But, before that mileage, points actually give a BETTER spark than a Dyna S will. That's why Dyna has always been careful to claim that the 'S' will "give about the same spark voltage as points".

That "running out of gas" feeling you describe was a common complaint in the late 1980s with the "S", due to this varying spark strength business, and riders often would buy the Dyna III box to add to it to help things out. This worked, but this was because the triggers no longer had to switch the full coil current: they just triggered the box to do it instead, and the box had a bit of a pulse stretcher in it to help the duration, too. Then they would fiddle around with the trigger distances until they got the timing just right, and ride on until the box failed, like my Dyna III did. Then I got mad and threw it away, and sent the triggers to Terry in AUS. Many riders carried along the old points plate, just in case.

Then I designed my box instead, so I could quit fiddling around with it and ride more.  ;D

The whole of this explanation is actually quite a bit longer, but I'm afraid of portraying that famous quotation, "Don't ever ask an Engineer what makes it work, he's just liable to explain it all night"... :-\

Oh, but one more thing...if you have retarded ignition timing on a 750, but run low octane gas (85 or so), it will actually generate MORE midrange torque, but just a little less top-end horsepower. This can be useful, on the street. ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:33:21 pm by HondaMan »

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 09:16:25 pm »
Was going to go for a test ride.  Just as well I didn't put any gear on as it dropped spark on 2/3.  I'll check the gap between and see how I go.

What's a HondaMan system worth?
1971 CB750 K1 - Sold

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 10:54:45 pm »
Ever since the "S" was created, and according to Dyna's own literature, they advised against using these "S" triggers with the 3-ohm coils unless also using the "amplifier box", like the Dyna III. It's just marginally too much load on the "S" switches to use them alone with low-ohm coils. But, for some reason, last Fall their Technical Advice phone line people suddenly started saying it was OK to use them with 3 ohm coils.

I notice you've mentioned this several times in this forum.  Not to be argumentative, but my recollection is different, but it has been awhile since I had looked at the old Dyna literature, so I couldn't be sure.  I came across the literature today (circa 1989), with an excerpt below.  I remember Dyna did recommend the 3 ohm coils with the S ignition.  If Dyna said not to use the 3 ohm coils with the S, I probably wouldn't have installed them 18 years and 85,000 miles ago. 

Dyna has had their instructions rewritten many times, confusing this issue: I would always start with equal distances on the pickups, then twist the baseplate until 1-4 lined up at idle under a timing light, then see how far I had to adjust the 2-3 set to get its timing right. (Many times I was found widening the slots with a rat-tailed file.) If they would not all line up, I'd "split the difference" in the distances, and try again. It was not unusual to spend several hours trying to get one set up just right. On the plus side, once they are set up, they generally last about 2-3 years of miles before the trigger wear makes you have to move them closer to the magnet again to get the same performance back. After that, they generally last until they die, if they do die. Some seem to last forever.
When the RPM goes up, the distance between magnet and trigger becomes critical. As the engine heats up, the triggers are also less able to quickly switch OFF to make the spark, and the timing starts to lag late. The trigger that is farthest from the magnet will be affected more than the other, and the engine feels weak and unbalanced due to unequal sparks. Then, when it cools off, or gets below that "magic" temperature, it runs okay again. If the triggers are close enough to the magnet to ensure full switchoff, this problem rarely appears unless the triggers are suffering from some damage (or low bike voltage).
The underlying "error", as I call it in this system, is the very short OFF dwell duration of these triggers. Honda's coils are designed for a full discharge time of a little over 1.7 milliseconds (that's how long their spark lasts). But, at engine speeds over 4500 RPM, presuming perfect magnet-trigger distances, the magnet dwell is already less than this required discharge time, so the coils begin to display a patially-charged magnetic field which resists their full charge for the next spark cycle. In other words, spark droop is more severe than with (good) points. This spark duration is important to the swirl-charge burn time in these shrouded-head cylinders, because the swirling charge is expecting a 1.7mS burn time to ignite everything properly. A shorter spark duration results in lost power, period. Higher spark voltage will not make this up, so just switching to high-voltage coils, while still using the triggers, does not help. Example: Dyna's 3-ohm coils discharge in 1.2mS, unless there are some other electronics to damp the spark a little for a longer burn (that's my ignition unit, but that's a different story, and a secret...  ::) ).
That said, burnt points also display this same 'lost high-RPM spark' scenario, typically after about 8,000 to 10,000 miles. But, before that mileage, points actually give a BETTER spark than a Dyna S will. That's why Dyna has always been careful to claim that the 'S' will "give about the same spark voltage as points".
That "running out of gas" feeling you describe was a common complaint in the late 1980s with the "S", due to this varying spark strength business, and riders often would buy the Dyna III box to add to it to help things out. This worked, but this was because the triggers no longer had to switch the full coil current: they just triggered the box to do it instead, and the box had a bit of a pulse stretcher in it to help the duration, too. Then they would fiddle around with the trigger distances until they got the timing just right, and ride on until the box failed, like my Dyna III did. Then I got mad and threw it away, and sent the triggers to Terry in AUS. Many riders carried along the old points plate, just in case.

All this makes the Dyna S sound fragile and problematical.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Generally these ignitions are plug and play and durable.  It would be a shame for someone reading this to be steered away from a good product and an excellent alternative to points.  In 85,000 miles, there have been no problems with difficult set-up, "trigger wear", problems from engine heat, "spark droop" and nothing has died.  I think if users of these ignitions were polled, that would be the majority experience, by far.  No axes to grind, just wanted to provide a little balance.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 10:58:03 pm by ofreen »
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 12:49:20 am »
For all those Suzuki GT750 owners considering modifying a Dyna S, they actually make a unit for a triple (well, it's really for a six...)

http://www.timscbx.com/Eng%20page%207.html
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 01:50:01 am »
This is the second Dyna S ignition I've purchased.  Very happy with the first one I bought.  No problems runs well.  I'll contact Dynatek to see if they can help me out.
1971 CB750 K1 - Sold