Author Topic: How would you ship an engine?  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
  • Figuring it out, one expletive at a time.
    • http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/
How would you ship an engine?
« on: December 02, 2008, 07:39:56 am »
I have a 550k motor to ship. I'm contemplating building a crate, but would like something easier. How would you guys, have you guys shipped? Do you have any ideas where to find a 'give away' used shipping crate?
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

2009 Kawasaki Concours, 1978 cb550k, 2006 BMW F650GS

Member of the AMA

Offline KeithTurk

• Hot Shot
Re: How would you ship an engine?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:21:39 am »
If I teach you how to build the crate will you ship it to me? LOL

Sorry... happen to need a 550 motor right now... anyway... here we go...

My engine guy simply mounts the motor on a sheet of plywood and then starts putting 2 x 2's in the corners and builds the sides up from there... using nothing but sheet rock screws... takes him 30 minutes with a single sheet of plywood, couple of 2 x 2's and a skill saw...

We've shipped my race car motor in the same crate back and forth from Alabama to New York... for several years...

K

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »
When I received my spare engine it was simply strapped to a small possibly home made pallet. The strapping was nothing fancy whatsoever. Nylon rope etc.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 11:50:13 pm »
My overkill solution...

I shipped an engine from the Chicago-land area to Denver-ish several months ago.  I started out with a junk pallet (reasonable condition - 40" x 38" I think).  I ran 2x8s from front to back perpendicular to the top boards of the pallet with the intent being to make room for the "belly" of the engine (between the 2x8s) - the 2x8s were spaced roughly the width of the engine mounts.  I attached the 2x8s with utility screws from the bottom which gave the pallet even more strength. 

On top of the 2x8s, I used angle steel pieces.  I didn't attach them to the 2x8s until their width was "established" by bolting them to the engine.  I used engine mounting hardware from the bike to attach to the angle iron.  I had to "sawzall" a profile between the two lower motor mounting points (on each side).  (If I can find pictures, I'll post 'em).  I drilled holes in the angle where it mounted to the engine.  After mounting the angle pieces to both sides of the engine,  I drilled holes in "foot" of the angle pieces (through the 2x8s as well) to "through bolt" to the 2x8s. 

Then I built a box around the engine with 1/2" plywood (wasn't sure if the shipper would allow the pallet to get precipitation on it).  To make sure it stayed dry, I wrapped the engine with a 3 mil garbage bag before I put the lid on. 

Building the box was easier than expected.  I started by attaching side pieces to the outside of the 2x8s (or were they 2x10s???).  I attached 2x2s to the inside of the side pieces to establish a mounting point for the front and back of the box.  Once all 4 sides were done, I attached 2x2s inside the top edge of the box 1/2" lower than the top edge so my top piece would "drop in". 

The cost of shipping was 200 bucks from shipanengine.com.  I was surprised that the shipping number was negotiable - they originally quoted me $250 or $300 - I can't recall.  I did this when fuel was near it's peak.  They seemed to not care about the weight too much.  When done, I think the pallet was over 300 lbs.  I got it in the back of my van by myself with a "come along" and ramps.  I felt bad that HondaMan (on the other end) had to manage that monstrosity (I hope he had help). 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 06:16:41 pm »
I buy an appliance/furniture mover or mount 4 swival wheels on a small pallet and strap the motor to the base.  Then place a large plastic tub over the motor and strap it down.  You can roll the package and the shipping company can lift it with a fork-lift.  I use Air-Freight for less than $200.  Dennis in Wisconsin
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:13:07 pm »
Geez I like Dennis's solution, I wish I'd thought of that! I sent a CB750K2 engine to Ace in Queensland last week, I was working at an Air Force base and scored a crate 32 inches x 24 inches x 24 inches, which already had a couple of 2 x 4's nailed to the underside to allow for fork lift access.

I also scored a nice light pine pallet, which I cut up and screwed on the inside of the crate (only had plywood sides) to strengthen it. I screwed another couple of 2 x 4's about 14 inches apart to the floor of the crate to rest the engine on so it wouldn't "rock", and cut the front out of the crate so I could slide the engine into it.

Once I'd used all the pallet material to strengthen it, I packed in a spare head, cylinder block, cam, cam towers etc, all individually wrapped in bubble wrap. (the cam was wrapped into an oiled cloth to stop it from rusting in transit) There had been some special stiff paper packing material in the crate when I got it, so I jammed that in every orifice, then screwed the lid and the front panel back on the crate, which I'd pre-positioned on my hydraulic "scissor lift" trolley.

I had no problem jacking the trolley up to the height of my pick-up trucks bed and sliding it on, and I forked it off at the warehouse at work. It only cost $126.00 AUD (about $80.00 US) to send thru a company here called "Smart Send", which wasn't bad for an 1100+ mile trip. I haven't heard back from Ace yet, but it should have arrived by now, they're normally very fast. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 06:09:01 am »
I built a crate right around it as per the first response. It was actually really easy. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but it's made out of plywood and I'm wondering who will take it. Do you guys think that this will weigh less than 150lbs so I could try to take it to DHL? I'll have the check into this smart send scene. My biggest problem is going to be not spending too much to ship.

For the sake of information here's how it went down. I went to lowe's , bought some wood - 2x2s and a sheet of plywood. I borrowed a jigsaw (A larger saw would have saved me time.) I cut out six 20"x20" sheets. Then I cut 2x2s to fit in all the corners. I put the motor on the first piece and just built the box around the motor.

Member of the AMA

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 12:20:37 pm »
That's a good looking crate mate, well done! No way will it be under 150 pounds though, the crate I sent with the 750 engine, plus a head and cylinder block and a few smaller items weighed 132 KG, or 290 pounds!

Yours would probably be around 200 pounds now, if there's nothing else to add. Did you nail some "runner's" underneath so they can fork it on and off a truck? It'll be way too heavy for manual handling. 

I don't know if "Smart Send" operates in the US, but I have seen other cut price shipping companies on the net, just type "cheap freight" into your browser, and see what comes up. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 01:50:51 pm »
This crate weighed 149.2 lbs. I was able to fedex, though it cost a fair amount of money. The motor was missing some stuff like the starter and magneto but it wasn't 150 lbs.

Member of the AMA

Offline tsflstb

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 07:36:06 am »
If you were ricepaddy.com you would put it in an old cardboard box.  It helps keep all the cooling fins broken in transit together for you.

Then you would take no responsibility for the damages. 

I love those guys.

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 12:39:55 pm »
The engine arrived just fine from Terry in his crate.  Well packaged.  I'm going to keep the crate just in case I need to use it again.  Well done Terry  ;D
1971 CB750 K1 - Sold
1978 CB750 F2 Supersport - Sold
1981 CB900 Bol d'or - Sold
2006 CBR1100 XX Super Blackbird - Sold

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 06:59:42 pm »
Hi Ace, who did you send it through.?

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 10:15:29 pm »
G'day Mick,  Terry sent it via smart send.  Cost me about $130 from Melb to Rocklea.  I would of had it sooner but they didn't tell me it arrived 3 days after they picked it up from Terry.
1971 CB750 K1 - Sold
1978 CB750 F2 Supersport - Sold
1981 CB900 Bol d'or - Sold
2006 CBR1100 XX Super Blackbird - Sold

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 11:11:16 pm »
Thanks mate... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.