Author Topic: What does "CB" mean?  (Read 21266 times)

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
Re: What does "CB" mean?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 04:33:15 am »
I read in some book on Honda bikes that the "CR" designation (for the factory race bikes) stood for "Client Racer"
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline cbr-eric

• Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 04:48:17 am »
I always understood it as city bike, and cbr was city bike race.............. who knows
k8 project, a long way from done.....

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 05:16:46 am »
it does not mean anything. They are Honda internal code designations (kinda like how GM uses F-body for pony cars and A-body for midsize cars). The very first preproduction hondas that were made carried A and B designations. When they went into production They were on their third version and so the C designation stuck. The second letter refers to different models or functions within the line. Think of it like software: you have version 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, etc. The letters do not actually stand for anything.

Overtime the C has taken on different meanings with different bikes (CR for example) but it's original meaning was road legal production bike with the B variants representing sports bikes, A representing standards, and L representing dual sports or scramblers. R was always racing variant so when coupled to C it just meant production racing bike. Latter honda would add an F to bikes it felt were more sporty based on a production road bike (cb750F, 550F, etc) with two exceptions: the cb350F and 400F where the F stood for four cylinder. What makes this harder is that inside the development name are other identifiers to signify upgraded versions or different year models (k0, k1, k2, cb350D, cb350E, etc....) to use the software analogy it is like version 1.2.1....well you get the idea.

All this talk that the letters actually stand for words are an urban legend, although it might be that the original prototype honda made carried the AA designation because that stood for something. That being said, all this stuff was developed in the 1940s and 50s before there was a us market and all the work was in Japanese and these bikes even carried the letter designations back then so the chance they stood for something in english is pretty thin. Plus the japanese use a different alphabet/characters from us in their native language. I doubt Mr. Honda himself was thinking about US distribution when building the first prototype in his house/shed.

currently the CBR designation is for sportbikes, RR is for production street legal race bikes (for built to comply with racing classes production rules) cb is for standards, and there are a whole host of other designations for off road.

The hardest part about figuring out what this means is that the meanings changed over the years. What CB meant in the 1960's and 70's is not the same as it meant in the 1980s.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 05:25:21 am »
  c'mere #$%*

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 05:50:11 am »
They should do like Apple and use an animal name for each successive model/version: panda, parrot, poodle, penguin...

Or, instead of animal names, they could use vegetable names: parsnip, potato, pepper, portabella...

In any case, Geeto67 has produced the most reasonable explanation so far. That Cb stood for some half-baked English designation seems unlikely.
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker
70 750K0 motor-Dick in a Box

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 06:04:13 am »
Not that we're voting here but if there did have to be a literal meaning for the C and B I'd give the nod to Combustion Bicycle. That just made me smile.

Offline olds-cool

• Choppa Guy
  • Hot Shot
  • Choppa
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 06:12:25 am »
Cower Before my awesome Japanese machine

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 06:36:37 am »
They should do like Apple and use an animal name for each successive model/version: panda, parrot, poodle, penguin...

Or, instead of animal names, they could use vegetable names: parsnip, potato, pepper, portabella...

In any case, Geeto67 has produced the most reasonable explanation so far. That Cb stood for some half-baked English designation seems unlikely.
Can't use POTATO....that's reserved for Harley's, you know, the sound they make when idleing: "POTATO, POTATO, POTATO".

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 06:43:59 am »

I got it from a book my cousin brought back from japan on the history of honda motorcycles. The book was in marginally translated english but was readible. I remember motorbooks international carrying it or something similar for a while but I belive it is out of print now. I lost the book in my move from New Orleans to New York, man I wish I still had it.

this is the closest thing I have seen on their website to what I had although admittedly I have not read this one:

The Honda Story:Production and Racing Motorcycles from 1946 to the Present Day      
 http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/ProductDetails_18797.ncm

I have thumbed through this one and it seems pretty good:
http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/ProductDetails_10239.ncm

Honda does have a few animal names they toss around for their bikes as well as some other more esoteric names:

Dream
Superhawk
Blackbird
Elisnore
Hawk
Cub
Nighthawk
Goldwing
Silverwing
Rebel
Fireblade

I think that letter names just sell better in the US sport bike crowd. People seem to like CBR, GSXR, ZXR, etc...there is a racing history there. It is kinda like cars: GTO, SS, GTA, 442, GTX, RT, etc....
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 07:00:50 am »
Geeto67: If you had produced some Honda models with vegetable names, then I would be impressed. I mean, what's an "Elsinore" and who wants to ride one? I'm kidding, of course, as I obviously forgot about the cubs, hawks, etc...still would like to see a "panda". Good info/references you provide there...
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 07:25:30 am »
the Elsinore was named for the Lake Elsinore Grand Prix - a dirt bike race that takes place in and around the Lake Elsinore area. It was made famous by appearing in On any sunday.

No stranger than naming your vehicle Le Mans, Gran Prix, riverside, sebring, daytona, etc....

still not able to turn up a honda motorcycle name that uses a vegitable but there are plenty of motorcycle names in japan (only) that are named after plants or flowers. I think suzuki has a small thumper coming out this year that in japan is called the cherry or cherry blossom or somthing to that effect.

The closest you will get to panda is the Chinese Panda Motorcycles which are knockoffs of the Honda "monkey" bikes like the trail 70 and trail 90. The usa version of panda bikes are called the "fun rider" where as they are the "quickfoot", "Angel", and "Doggy" in other markets. Not a true honda ripoff as it has a 3 speed auto tranny and is actually funded by suzuki.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline my78k

• I am Meat-O of the Hungry Horses MC
  • Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 07:30:55 am »
I just assumed it meant exactly the same thing as: GSXR, FZR, YZ, GPZ, ZZR, VFR, ETC ETC ETC

Dennis

Offline SUELZER

• Active
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 08:28:45 am »
i love the "combustion bicycle" moniker! that's awesome...not sure how true it is, but eh  ;)

Found this on Wiki, not sure if it helps or just adds to the madness?!

What does the CB mean on a Honda?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_the_CB_mean_on_a_Honda_CB350f
1976 Honda 550F
1993 Ducati 900ss
1979 Honda 750F

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 09:03:41 am »
i don't like Geeto67's explanation.(alltho probably correct) Its not very fun.

I think CB stands for the Japanese word chidamu bansupuro which has no direct English translation. Its the word they use for the feeling you get when ridding on 2 wheels.

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
    • Drewfus Nation, my podcast, bicycle collection, blog etc
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 09:32:18 am »
Geeto67: If you had produced some Honda models with vegetable names, then I would be impressed. I mean, what's an "Elsinore" and who wants to ride one? I'm kidding, of course, as I obviously forgot about the cubs, hawks, etc...still would like to see a "panda". Good info/references you provide there...

Here are yer Pandas:

yeah, no motors, but 'cycles nonetheless.

All above are mine, as well as a few more. Gawk here for more pix/etc if ya hit the links below the pictures: http://www.drewfusnation.com/oldschoolbmx.htm

Panda Bicycle co was around from the mid sixties-1983, based out of Cali. I am one of 2-3 major collectors/historians of the brand in the world, and have currently 6 full era correct bikes, some NOS, some resto, some "survivors", and a slew of random stuff. They were my first and favorite BMX bikes back in the day, and I raced for them briefly in 1982-3 before they went belly up.

Little known BMX factoid....
What is the only bicycle in the history of the late, great BMX Action magazine to get a cover shot all to itself?

"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"
-212 Margarita by The Hold Steady
Build thread:http://forums.sohc

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2008, 10:28:49 am »
i don't like Geeto67's explanation.(alltho probably correct) Its not very fun.

I think CB stands for the Japanese word chidamu bansupuro which has no direct English translation. Its the word they use for the feeling you get when ridding on 2 wheels.

Is that like umami for combustion bicycles?
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker

Offline peten

• wait...what?
  • if at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 10:50:11 am »
according to the 1992 M.M.I. Hontech program, it stands for "City Bike".  Don't know about most of the rest.
1978 cb550 sortacafe
1980 kz1300touring(not anymore)
1980 kz1300 standard
1975 yam xs650 w/star mags