Author Topic: DIY Egli Sohc 4  (Read 130538 times)

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
DIY Egli Sohc 4
« on: December 31, 2008, 11:30:29 am »
hello from austria,

I started my project end of september 2008. my goal was to build an Egli Racer, as I had in the late 70ies.

frame tubes are ST37, dimensions 28x1.5mm, 70x1.5mm, 100x1.5mm. TIG weldet. frame weight 8.5kg, swingarm 3.4kg

marzocchi 38 fork with magnesium fork clamps, marvic magnesium wheels, D=315 rotors,

the black engine is a dummy engine (without all the internals), the sandblast engine is something like a plus 1000ccm cobra engine

frame and swingarm nickel plated

notice the carbonfibre front fender (a friend of mine made) and the carbon fibre brake lines (http://www.micronsystems.de/):

all aluminium parts handmade from 7075 aluminium

all engine mount bolts and rear axle made from titanium grade 5, all other screws made from titanium (http://www.jaeger-motorsport.de/) or aluminium

34er mikuni flat slide carbs, LiFePo 9,6Ah batterie pack (http://www.durbahn.de/), no e-starter nor alternator:

on the right side of the Kröber speedometer is an oil pressure gauge (cant be seen on the picture):

soon be ready for paint

happy new year to all
mec
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:34:37 am by mec »
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline void909

• Hot Shot
Re: DIY Egli Sohc 4
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 11:39:04 am »
Great post cant wait to see more!!!
knock with no answer

Offline d3buttz

• More than just an
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:31:36 pm »
jesus..............i i  thaught i was cool by making my own seat. this is awesome. great work!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80508.0

1975 cb750f
1975 cb550k
1972 cb350k
1974 tl125
1996 Nissan pathfinder
1972 Datsun 240z
2002 Nissan sentra se-r spec-v

Offline syth82

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 cb550f project
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »
I might need help getting my jaw off the floor.... Please keep this one updated!
-Luke

By trying to make yourself sound intelligent you appear to be #$%*in stupid......

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 03:23:45 pm »
Excellent work mate. I bet you could sell a few of those frames as well.... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 03:40:59 pm »
That is brilliant mate! I hope you won't mind if I "borrow" your idea, I always wanted to make my own frame............ Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:56:48 pm »
I'm speechless!

Wait, no I'm not... you sir are my hero! I wait impatiently for further progress.

1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 09:02:01 pm »
I was going to say, "ecosse will get wOOd !!", but too late.. :D

so I wont...

What is on the dyno end of the crankshaft on the engine?

Sehr GUT gemacht....
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 09:10:54 pm »

so I wont...

You have nooo idea how much I had to restrain myself to type legibly.  :-[ ;D

I'm still fixated on the frame and bits... can't think straight... engine output... too much for Ecosse to handle now... must rest.

edit:mec, if this is mock up stage and you break down your project can you do me the huge favor of photographing the bare frame... maybe with some sultry mood lighting? I'm not joking.

Ah yes, happy new year to everyone!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:14:33 pm by Ecosse »
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

Offline DollarBill

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 09:31:25 pm »
Ummm...I think I'll just make my own frame...  HOLY SH%T.  That is AWESOME my friend.  Cannot wait to see more.
1975 CB750F Project Yellow Jacket - CBR600rr Swinger GSXR 600 Forks
1955 BMW R25/3, 1966 Honda CA160, 1975 CB400f, 1975 CB550, 1976 CB550

Offline MikeB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 09:53:47 pm »
I might need help getting my jaw off the floor.... Please keep this one updated!
Ummm...I think I'll just make my own frame...  HOLY SH%T.  That is AWESOME my friend.  Cannot wait to see more.

DUHHHHHHHH!!!
Just couldn't find the right smiley WOW

looking forward to UPDATES

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 12:38:05 am »

so I wont...

You have nooo idea how much I had to restrain myself to type legibly.  :-[ ;D

I'm still fixated on the frame and bits... can't think straight... engine output... too much for Ecosse to handle now... must rest.

edit:mec, if this is mock up stage and you break down your project can you do me the huge favor of photographing the bare frame... maybe with some sultry mood lighting? I'm not joking.

Ah yes, happy new year to everyone!

Add me to this list...... Ecosse I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the spine framed love.
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 01:30:57 am »
and nickle plated too ,   ...i love your choice of materials,        titanium and carbon fiber.. how can you go wrong with that 

Offline ieism

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 08:10:47 am »
Ehg..rlll...ah.?
---cb550---

Offline Speed King

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 08:31:36 am »
Fantastic.

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 10:44:13 am »
hello,

thanx for your positive feedback.

some more information and thoughts:

# the "old" egli frame has 62.5° rake and 120cm trail. this is good for long straight roads. I wanted to go for a more modern design. the bikes of today have ~ 65° and 90cm. the all new KTM RC08 has 67° rake!!
I gave my frame 65° rake and <90cm trail. this will be good for all the twisty roads waiting for us.
all tubes are as short as possible to give the max rigidity. the 34 mikuni fit pretty well, but I doubt if the OEM keihin fit the frame.

# according to the modernization I used a lot of titanium and carbon fibre to reduce overall weight of the bike. all the titanium parts saved 2kg, disappointing when compared to the costs. all I have learned during my long time playing with bikes: when you want to save weight radically, you have to omit all parts that are not essentially.
nevertheless, my goal is to stay under 160kg ready to start (without fuel). I prefere 10kg less more than 20hp more.

# doing the frame and swingarm, it was much more work than I expected! all the cutouts of the tubes to fit their counterparts (this determines the distortion after welding and cooling), fabricating all the small parts (mounts for dyna coils, oil cooler, oiltank, fuel tank, rear shocks, batt, frame pressure gauge,.....)

# this thread is for all to animate to try to do something similar by your own. its not easy, it is a lot of work, but it can be done. all you need is two hands (at least 4 fingers on each hand), a brain with more than 4 gyrus (one for eat and drink, one for sleep, one to always remember that the steering tube is in a right angle to the swingarm shaft, and one to switch on/off your welding machine), the will and patience.

# and yes, there are some machines which make life easier:

my milling machine (a bigger one is better):

my lathe (a smaller one does it the same):

a small and very cheap bandsaw for all the aluminium stuff:

again a bandsaw for the steeltubings (do not know the correct term):

my Messer Griesheim AC/DC TIG welder with watercooled welding torch:

and last but not least, most important of all, my Makita band sander:

at the moment I am doing the seat mounts including the wiring connectors which will be attached to the frame on the one hand, and on the other to the seat. putting the seat  on the frame will give contact to the wires and the seat will have to be fixed with two Dzus fasteners only (this system is well known to modellers, that way the wings including connecotrs are attached to the fuselage).

mec
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 11:01:29 am »
Is that a Magneto or CDI ignition on the motor with the different cover on left side of  crankshaft? Does it need a battery to run?

Your work is very impressive for the amount of tools used. It sure shows that it is not just the tools that do the job, but more the person using them..
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:04:48 am by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 11:09:13 am »
Is that a Magneto or CDI ignition on the motor with the different cover on left side of  crankshaft? Does it need a battery to run?

no, there is nothing behind the cover.
the engine runs on LiFePo Batterie exclusively.

mec
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 11:26:07 am »
Hello mec,

Following your endeavours sometime now because am playing with the thaughts of building a copy of the EGLI myself. Have build swingarms and welded on frames but never a complete frame. Am impressed with what you have made. Through a friend I managed to find drawings with, most, measurements of the frame so inspired by you I think I will have a go. Have a beautiful MARTIN frame to play with but like the EGLI more. Where the originals not bronze welded?

Cheers, Rob

Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 11:30:49 am »

Just one of the originals from 1973.
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 12:25:21 pm »
Hello mec,

Following your endeavours sometime now because am playing with the thaughts of building a copy of the EGLI myself. Have build swingarms and welded on frames but never a complete frame. Am impressed with what you have made. Through a friend I managed to find drawings with, most, measurements of the frame so inspired by you I think I will have a go. Have a beautiful MARTIN frame to play with but like the EGLI more. Where the originals not bronze welded?

Cheers, Rob

hi rob,
yes, the original was bronze welded(?). we say "hartgelötet".
later F.W. Egli TIG welded the frames due to economical reasons (as far as I am informed).

a comment to the "frame incorporated oil tank":
this was an idea I loved very much.......untill I had such an frame. minor problems (ventilating the "fill in cover", sorry for my bad english, i hope you can understand nevertheless) forced me to use an oil pressure gauge to see whats right or wrong with the oil pressure. that was the moment I started hating the inframe-oil-tank. under braking no oil pressure, long downhills - no oil pressure. adding oil to the system - oil overflow the ventilating tubes.....

remember: you will not see any problems using the OEM oil pressure switch. this switch reacts at +/- 0.3bar. when you run your engine at 0.4bar several minutes, you will have to replace all bearings weekly. the oil pressure gauge gave me the chance to understand whats going round in the engine. this problem was known by Egli of course. therefore he mounted a secundary hopper tank behind/under the carbs. but this tank was way too small. in seconds it was empty and the problems stayed the same. what helped was a oil tank with similar size to the original. thats the way to go.
I made the same experience with my Egli Bol d´Or a few years later. the engine was a RSC 1130ccm motor with dry sump lubrication and dry clutch.

hope it helps.

mec
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 12:40:03 pm »
Hey guys, don't be fooled by this Mec fellow.....He is the real Egli under an assumed name ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nice work Mec. don't worry about your English especially with Rob ;D ;D ;D  he's Dutch. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Welcome to the nut house (forum).

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 12:59:42 pm »
mec, couldn't help but notice your rubber ball work stool. I've got a problem back and heard good things about these. I'm thinking of trying to find one and wonder how you like it.

BTW: Your English is just fine and better than my... well, anything.
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

fuzzybutt

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 01:03:23 pm »
what kind of tubing (or is it bar stock) that you made your swingarm with?

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 01:16:37 pm »
mec, couldn't help but notice your rubber ball work stool. I've got a problem back and heard good things about these. I'm thinking of trying to find one and wonder how you like it.

sorry, I do not like the rubber ball stool at all. so therefore I cannot tell you, if it will help you (maybe?). physiotherapy helps the best (for my back problems which I have for many years).

what kind of tubing (or is it bar stock) that you made your swingarm with?

swingarm was made from 20x50x2 oval/flat tube St 37. tube for the swingarm bushings (with alu inserts) 50x1.5mm

mec
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson