Author Topic: 21 inch cafe?  (Read 59937 times)

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • [Brian] I've got something to say about that!
    • Undead Asphalt
Re: 21 inch rear wheel cafe?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 02:12:53 pm »
yeah, I've drilled over 700 holes in that bike. theres 173 in the drum cover alone.
everything I say is pure speculation and
I have no idea what I'm talking about  ._.

Marla              .:71CB750:.CAFE

eldar

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 02:21:27 pm »
I would be afraid to do that here. Our roads get so gritty that it would probably chew the drum to shreds.

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 02:29:41 pm »
the roads out here are nice, long flat, banked corners, they have street cleaners out all the time. but if the drum gets chewed up i have an extra.

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 02:54:02 pm »
Eldar- awesome!

Geeto- ha! eldar took you to school. and after a few face spankings, he put you in the corner to think about what you've done.

GOOD TIMES MAN, GOOD TIMES!!

eldar

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 02:57:11 pm »
Thinking on the exhaust part, did you have an idea about that? Were going to leave it short? How about the front? Were you going to put on clubmans?

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 03:21:40 pm »
Oh geeto I see your true skill, trying to make personal attacks. Well fine go ahead and try. You fail but go ahead. Please, you try to insult me but the fact is you DID backpedal. You know exactly what you were trying to say and so do we, then when called out, you change it.  Had you just said "sorry, I meant it like this..." then fine that would have been ok. Instead you decide you need to be all "look down your nose".

Also, you did not say you would wait and see what it looked like, you immediately figured it would be ugly. Hey, west coast choppers are professionally done but I think they are ugly, I however; have at least waited till I saw them.

As for defending the ugliest 750s, I saw this, your taste is in your bum so what would you know. The 78 may look different but it will out perform any stock 72-76 K and that comes from times listed by the ancient magazines you hold so dear. It is only marginally slower than the vaunted 69 while the 78F is FASTER than the 69. So clearly you base everything on the book's cover and nothing more. Bravo, you show the shallow waters you inhabit.

Whatever geet. I will support anyones build regardless of its validity. Why? Because it is something they want to try. Sure I might point out things that may not work or may not be safe but I will try to do it in a better way than you do. I am sure you are one of those that derides babyfood for the things he wants to try.

Industrial, keep brainstorming. Babyfood has been trying to fab up an underseat exhaust so you are not the only one trying new things. If anything, contact proteat about the 19s he put on and go from there.

no real personal attack...just stating the obvious....of all the thing you have wanted to try how many have you actually done?

I did not back pedal about anything it is pretty clear - a motorcycle you can't use as a motorcycle is not one. not hard to understand. Beyond that yeah a custom build should start with your function. Just adding tack crap because you can doesn't always lead to a safe motorcycle, just doing it cause it looks good is usually how most people get into trouble. I have been consistent thorugh out, maybe you should go back and reread.

the K8 (and K7) was an afterthought bike, the CB750 was no longer competetive and the new DOHC model was too far away to push into priduction. So much of the bike is just crap-tastic, excluding the looks. Sure it makes slightly more hp, at a significant weight penalty, and the way in which they make the powe smells of rushed into production. For all you want to say it is one of the best cb750 it is also the one with the most warts. 

Either way at this point the thread is put up or shut up....you think you can do it then do it. Think you can do it for $400 go ahead and try.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline Pwfyrcat1

• Enthusiast
  • What I'm doing when it's warm
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 03:34:29 pm »
Goldammer? or similar
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should;)

2002 Yamaha Warrior, solo/souped/slammed/fast
2004 Yamaha V Star Silverado, 'The Sedan'
1992 Yamaha TDM 850
1975 Honda CB400F basket case that wants to be something

Offline Pwfyrcat1

• Enthusiast
  • What I'm doing when it's warm
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 03:41:23 pm »

I LOVE a good debate, I'm a fire startin' anarchist, man. :D

I LIKE A GOOD FIRE!!!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should;)

2002 Yamaha Warrior, solo/souped/slammed/fast
2004 Yamaha V Star Silverado, 'The Sedan'
1992 Yamaha TDM 850
1975 Honda CB400F basket case that wants to be something

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 03:50:58 pm »
Geeto, Don't worry, I'll do it. Maybe not right away. My motor is tore down right now.
but I'll keep you posted when I start, with pics and prices.
I get stuff for free most of the time. The bike was free. and the Russian ratbike I pictured up there... free too.
i have about 1500 in the Cafe right now, and 680 of that was tank and seat. (I had to buy them from Carpy)

Eldar,
yeah I have clubmans on there now. and the exhaust is going to change from the header back. I cut 6 inches off it for a different sound and because the previous owner dumped it and scratched the pipe up.
My dad has a piece of 2.5x24 inch stainless at the shop. I just need to get down there, bend it to a cool angle, and make another baffle.

I like the under seat pipes idea, but I like the tuned echo sound of a  22 inch long pipe better.

pwfyrcat,
        yes, goldammer inspired the idea.

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 03:54:36 pm »
dont sweat it man , babyfood got flamed buy like 5 or 6 people ...just for making an exhaust.  
 but he finished it anyway, and it turned out awesome.

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 04:18:27 pm »
i cant find that post, my searchfu seems to suck in here.
my google searchfu is strong tho.
does anyone have a link?

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 04:18:46 pm »
dont sweat it man , babyfood got flamed buy like 5 or 6 people ...just for making an exhaust.  
 but he finished it anyway, and it turned out awesome.

babyfood got flamed (the first time) because he cut a structural section out of the frame to make the exhaust work and it was unsafe. Not the same comparison.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2009, 04:38:14 pm »
   ...structure is nice.
i have a shirt from there. you know they went out of business?  ...yeah, sold out to sears.
i like banana republic too, but its a little too preppy for me.

Offline 547

• Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2009, 07:04:19 pm »
check out this link. 2 21" wheels and it is made to be ridden. says it has a forward engine location and engine is tilted slightly. it also has an elevated transmission. i don't know if it will help but there is a little inspiration and it might give you some ideas on how to make your application practical. http://www.american-board-trackers.com/
j-

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2009, 08:09:49 pm »
I am back... ;D
 #39 has a 4.25 bore ! (someone asked)

Last Monday , it had a plate on it.the signals and brakelights worked.

the ONLY reason it could not run on the street as it sat there was exhaust and maybe licence plate orientation.

The 23 inch rear was not chosen for traction, more in keeping with the style he has been building, and I think partly because it helps make the drum fit in the wheel without looking oversize.. Remember inside is a disc about the size of a CB 750 front , or at least 10 inches.

I bet it may have more gyro effect, which could help stabilty.

I dont see how anyone can make a broad statement saying a 21 cannot work, it can have suspension travel, shock/swingarm length/placement will not be dictated by anyone except the buider..
 I say try it, the only real frawback I can see with a narrow 21, is lack of traction off the line..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Shenanigans

• At making holes in walls, Im a
  • Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 09:22:12 pm »
Now now geeto, cafe = cool, remember...  ;D

I dont think a 21 would work (looks wise) on the rear of a even remotely stock 750. I just dont think the lines and stance of the bike are there for it. I think a 750 is far to rear weighter looks wise (and way to high), for example look at these bikes that look pretty good with a skinnier rear. All of them are foreword weighted, if I am getting across what I am trying to say.

Maybe if the frame was tilted forward a bit somehow? but still even then.

Just my 2 cents...
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 09:49:53 pm »
hey Eldar- I think he was talking to me at the same time he was talking to you, but whatever.

754- the stock 18 on the bike is a 2.15inch rim with a 110/90/18 on it from the factory.
i just gotta find the 2.25 - 2.50 to put a 120/70/21 on it, that ain't real skinny. fuller hot rods has a 200/70/21 rear tire, so I'm sure its available.

Shenanigans- maybe I could put 21 and 13/16 inch fork tubes up front, http://www.cyclexchange.net and lower the back so the tire sits inside the seat box a little. 
I wouldn't do it if I didn't see it looking cool in my head.

i can't seem to find a low profile 19 tire for the front. I'm still thinking 19-19 too.
or.... i know it's getting gaydickulous but... I'm gonna say it. 21front-21rear   
i know, i know.... Right.... he must be high on the tweeds.

oh look at this, 21s front and rear belonging to S. Nyquist whoever that is.

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 09:58:26 pm »
hey Eldar- I think he was talking to me at the same time he was talking to you, but whatever.

754- the stock 18 on the bike is a 2.15inch rim with a 110/90/18 on it from the factory.
i just gotta find the 2.25 - 2.50 to put a 120/70/21 on it, that ain't real skinny. fuller hot rods has a 200/70/21 rear tire, so I'm sure its available.

Shenanigans- maybe I could put 21 and 13/16 inch fork tubes up front, http://www.cyclexchange.net and lower the back so the tire sits inside the seat box a little. 
I wouldn't do it if I didn't see it looking cool in my head.

i can't seem to find a low profile 19 tire for the front. I'm still thinking 19-19 too.
or.... i know it's getting gaydickulous but... I'm gonna say it. 21front-21rear   
i know, i know.... Right.... he must be high on the tweeds.

oh look at this, 21s front and rear belonging to S. Nyquist whoever that is.

2 things...

Look at the chain on this bike.... Made from two separate chains? Just noticed that.

I think 21 and 21 is not only doable, but can be created to ride with the 750 in a practical manner. Sure the motor is wide... but if you balance it right side to side... front to back will be easy.
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 10:12:43 pm »
I'd like to see more photoshop work.  In that original photo mock-up, did you place the larger rear wheel at the stock location?  It'd be interesting to see it photo mocked with the larger front wheel as planned too.

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 10:13:40 pm »
Just been watching Top Gear on BBC America.
 None of this stuff can ever be art because art has no  function than other itself (paraphrased misquote)
 As vehicles have a secondary function they can't by definition be art.
 Well, I liked it
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 10:17:50 pm »
A few on here are forgetting one thing,

BIKE BUILDING IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN..^&*())(*&

The following should be taken FWIW..

Bikes can be styled after a certain type of bike, and are not necessarily fully functioning as that type of bike.

IE, you could have a chopper or digger style  that looks totaly at home on a dragstrip, yey may not be truly competitive on the strip.

You could build a cafe bike, with a stock motor, shocks forks, and it could be a total toad on the track..

You could build a stretched, rearset equipped big tanked bike, with 23 inch wheels both ends, slammed down so it dont corner that great, but it could still be "cafe styled".

So maybe a few folks gotta lighten up a bit and let people build what they want to build (so long as its not really dangerous).

Builders trying new stuff, moves things ahead, NOT backwards..

Some of the best stuff built is out there because someone said they could not do it, or just because someone wanted it and nobody was making it..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2009, 11:00:57 pm »
all i did was stretch the rim inside the tire and then stretch the rim and tire together, fill the gaps and save. just to get a quick idea.
heres the 21front 21 rear photochop.  maybe its a little off but like i said, its just for the idea
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:03:38 pm by Industrial Cafe »

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 11:29:50 pm »
I lowered it. the quality of the photoshop is #$%*ty, but I'm not here to impress anyone with a degree in graphic design.

billybobobrain

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 11:54:17 pm »
I like the concept. What would  it look like if you streched the swingarm out a little?

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 11:55:37 pm »
I think the tires look too short on those.  Taller tires would look better, IMO.  The lowered version looks better but you'd definitely run into suspension travel problems in the rear.  A longer swingarm would help the travel clearance a bit.