Author Topic: Adjusting tappets / valves  (Read 10842 times)

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
Adjusting tappets / valves
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:55:43 am »
Haven't seen this posted before.  My son gave me a good tip for making a simple tool that really makes adjusting the tappets on Honda engines - so much easier.  Using this tool, you can get a nice fine adjustment and then keep the tappet position in place while the nut is locked down.

What you need is a Robertson head screw.  (A Phillips won't do.  The Robertson slot is square like the tappet head.  Mr Robertson was a Canadian, eh!)  This screw head can fit nicely over the tappet and allow it to be adjusted as well as held in position when the locking nut is tightened.  I find a #3 head size (used with the black-handled driver) is a good fit.  A Marr connector is also useful to put over the screw end so that it can be easily gripped and turned.

Here are some photos of this neat tool that I made on my son's instruction.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Re: Adjusting tappets / valves
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:13:21 am »
Would you have a pic of the head on that screw?
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline tbpmusic

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:34:53 pm »
Brilliant !!!

I believe we call those screws "square drive" here in the US - available at any hardware store, or Lowes/Menards, etc.

bill2
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"

Bill Lane
 '71 CB450 Mutant/ '75 CB200/ '81 CM200/ '71 C70M

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 12:55:24 pm »
Brilliant !!!

I believe we call those screws "square drive" here in the US - available at any hardware store, or Lowes/Menards, etc.

bill2
The Robertson...driver and screw...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver

So there are different sizes, one needs the correct one. And BTW, a CB750 has slots not squares.  :(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 01:01:08 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline HondanutRider

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 01:04:11 pm »
To: BobbyR

As you requested, here's a pic of Mr Robertson's head.  (I'll bet you could show us more of your lovely avitar, too.)

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 01:16:37 pm »
Thanks Bob. I Was all excited until I was just told I have slots. Very clever idea
nonetheless.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline HondanutRider

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 01:26:33 pm »
"And BTW, a CB750 has slots not squares."  ...did not know that.  I guess that would make them easier to adjust than all the "smaller" Hondas that I have only had experience with.  With a slotted tappet head like on the CB750, I suppose you can just use a normal flat screwdriver.  The CB350F that I own has the square-headed tappets, as are all my other smaller Hondas - such as the SL100 head shown in one of my pictures.

I don't know about the CB450 motor, what with its torsion bar actuated valves. What about the other SOHC motors - the 500/550 and the 650 - are they square or slotted?  And, with bucket and shim arrangements, as on my GL1800, I don't think this tool will be of any use either.

But it works great on those square tappets.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 01:29:32 pm by HondanutRider »

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 06:41:27 am »
I've found that the slotted head is almost difficult to work with since the screwdriver won't fit tight in the slot and you get "backlash" while tightening the lock nut.  To get around this, I ground down an old small screwdriver to a wedge-like shape to fit the slot.  This way I don't have the backlash problem with the screwdriver in the slot.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 06:50:23 am »
I've found that the slotted head is almost difficult to work with since the screwdriver won't fit tight in the slot and you get "backlash" while tightening the lock nut.  To get around this, I ground down an old small screwdriver to a wedge-like shape to fit the slot.  This way I don't have the backlash problem with the screwdriver in the slot.
That's a good idea. So thinking of that, it would also be good to grind the taper off the screwdriver tip so it fits real snug in the slot. Think I'll look for a sacrificial screwdriver.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 06:52:34 am »
"And BTW, a CB750 has slots not squares."  ...did not know that.  I guess that would make them easier to adjust than all the "smaller" Hondas that I have only had experience with.  With a slotted tappet head like on the CB750, I suppose you can just use a normal flat screwdriver.  The CB350F that I own has the square-headed tappets, as are all my other smaller Hondas - such as the SL100 head shown in one of my pictures.

I don't know about the CB450 motor, what with its torsion bar actuated valves. What about the other SOHC motors - the 500/550 and the 650 - are they square or slotted?  And, with bucket and shim arrangements, as on my GL1800, I don't think this tool will be of any use either.

But it works great on those square tappets.
What are you working on, a 350/400?  The DOHC 450 is an odd duck, the adjusters are on the sides of the head, but they are lock nut over slotted adjuster.

I'll use your trick on my CB77.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline mr.brandon

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 12:48:51 pm »
thank you for the tip.i am new and looking for a good tutorial on valve adjustment w/ plenty of pics for a 75' cb750. i have entire cover off.