Author Topic: help/ideas with cafe seat mounting issue  (Read 1002 times)

Offline timdhawk

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750K
help/ideas with cafe seat mounting issue
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:10:10 pm »
I've hit a "creators block"... i cant figure out the best way to mount my seat to the bike. I have plenty of ideas but can't seem to decide which way to go.
I have some sheet metal to use in the process and i dont care if the seat folds open or is stationary. here are some ideas that i have:
- use the sheetmetal with a flange so that the metal is either flush with the bottom seat edge, or recessed up into the seat a 1/2" or so or,
- fab a skeleton frame for the inside of the seat and mount that somehow to the bike frame or,
- a combo of both
here is what i'm working with.

In deeper than I should be...

Offline timdhawk

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750K
Re: help/ideas with cafe seat mounting issue
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:28:31 am »
Nobody????
In deeper than I should be...

Offline afastman

• new-B on a mission
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:43:25 am »
Glass in some cross members and attach to existing frame points.  The differential shear between metal and fiberglass could rip the metal base out of your seat IMHO.
creul, nasty, neurotic, paranoid, antisocial...but basically happy

Offline Skunkmiester

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:45:40 am »
I would weld another vertical hoop midway (tube) which would follow the inside of the seat hump and then a low leval 'bridge' to mount the front of the seat to.

The hoop would add strength to the rear of the frame. Then drill through it at mid way horizontal and put to thin tubes in it to take bolts to accept bolts to mount the seat unit.

Or a wire cage as you said. The only area that needs to be strong is the area where your weight will be, the rear of the cage just needs to be strong enough to stop the seat hump from vibrating or wobbleing around.

Hope it helps.
1973 CB 750 Cafe Racer
1992 (original) Fireblade