Author Topic: Goon's dual disc brakes...  (Read 16900 times)

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • [Brian] I've got something to say about that!
    • Undead Asphalt
Re: Goon's dual disc brakes...
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2009, 03:02:02 pm »
oh.  :)
everything I say is pure speculation and
I have no idea what I'm talking about  ._.

Marla              .:71CB750:.CAFE

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 09:48:48 am »
Whew man this place is busy, this thread was 12 pages back.
I got the drive plate modified, Got my second disc drilled yesterday, and I have to say its night and day drilling by hand vs. using a drill press. It took me 1.5 hours to drill it and didn't even dull the bit  ;D ;D
I could feel the outer 1.5mm on each side was work hardened and the inner 4mm were pretty easy to drill through. I also want to say that if you drill your rotors and as you start to punch through to the back side and it starts making popping sound then you should apply minimal pressure, this will keep from blowing the outer tips off of the drill bit.
I will have a new caliper assembly coming from chadwick70 soon so I can continue with the plan as soon as I order another o-ring for the right side caliper.
I got to say too that with this option of having duals on the 750 where did the modified speedo drive plates that should have gone with this setup go? I figured that because if they made slots on the front wheel up until 78' then there should have been a drive plate that could have been ordered to swap out the old singe disc drive plate with when going to duals....
There was a member here that talked about making a production run of them but that thread I can't find :(
Well herh ya go, new speedo drive plate and duals on the wheel waiting for gl1000 bolts....
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2009, 01:57:41 pm »
I meant to mention that if you look at the two different speedo drive plates the one I moded. is a two piece part and the un-modded part is a one piece design.
I wondered if this two part piece is off of a k8 like the wheel was.
Like I said in the beginning I think this bike has been in the ditch because of the replacement parts on it. The wheel is a k8 wheel and I still have to notch it for the drive plate. I also came into this problem this weekend; I recieved the second caliper setup for the right side, it came from a member here and it came off of a 77 750k so I figured it should be ok (Yeah this is where your saying to yourself "You sent pics to make sure it matches.... right?...." )
Well here is my original caliper mounted on the bike and here is the second caliper I got that I am holding(I thought this style was an early style ???), I have seen different styles but I don't know how to pin a year to each style, can you fine ladies and gentlemen show me some pics of calipers and what year they should go to?
Oh yeah if someone wants the second one its for sale 50.00$ plus 8.00 shipped. I need the kind I have on the bike that has ribs on the sides..

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2009, 02:03:11 pm »
The one for sale too has everything, screws, bolts, caps, hard line. I will post more pics if someone is interested because I really want to get this completed and get some drive time in.......

Offline fishhead

• Hot Shot
  • Why don't you go.....Well, you know the rest.....
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2009, 02:36:52 pm »
Make sure you have the "thin" swingarm for the early finned caliper (between the caliper halves). There is a chance that the outer brake pad can come out when it wears down if the "wide" swing arm mount and the early caliper is used.
 Pic 1 shows the early calipers on the "Thin" swing arm mount
 Pic 2 shows the "Wide/Thick" swing arm mount (where the caliper bolts to the swing arm thing)
Quote from:  Vanna White

Photobucket slide show (Fishhead Big Brakes)
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2009, 06:54:04 am »
Glad you mentioned it, I meant to and forgot. When I first noticed the different brake I thought I could at least still use the hardware until I compared them more only to notice what you had stated...

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2009, 07:36:52 am »
Bobby (babepics), needs that 77 caliper & wide hanger to make up a dual disc set for his bike..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2009, 09:18:25 am »
You mean Babyfood? I will send him a pm,
I thought that the 76 and 77 750 k's had the same front brake setups? So what year did they change? Was it in 77? So could I look for like a 74-76 750k caliper setup and it would match mine?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2009, 02:48:46 pm »
My 75 f has the thick bracket and caliper with the centered brake line and bleeder.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2009, 06:52:37 pm »
76 and earlier K has the finned one...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2009, 06:45:23 am »
Ahhh thank you my search has now narrowed, I think I might have to put this project on the side burner and put the sled back toegther until I source all the rest of the parts to make this a weekend jobby instead of a three month jobby. Its warming here and I want to ride.....
That other caliper setup is still for sale....

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2009, 06:53:46 am »
I am silly You meant Bobby with the "babe" pics... His avatar makes me stare every time he posts.... I will Pm him.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2009, 09:44:44 am »
I'm back,wlecome back carter chimes in....
I was able to get my rotors painted and last weekend I got the caliper painted... 8) 8) 8)
I am lucky and chadwick70 I bought the right side caliper from is willing to trade me back for the one I need.

Note to self calipers changes in 77 so they won't work on your 76 ya goon.... :P :P

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2009, 09:48:02 am »
What I am pointing at is what I shaved off trying to smooth off the casting pits and goodies...Yeah baby that's weight savings! I also used some foam earplugs in the brake line hole and bleeder hole for a easily removed plug  ;D.
Now must order the new brake lines, bleeder, cap for bleeder and new piston gasket... And what ever I can get away with ordering before the wife finds out 8)

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2009, 07:18:48 pm »
I also used some foam earplugs in the brake line hole and bleeder hole for a easily removed plug  ;D.

nice trick , i'm gonna have to remember that one

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2009, 06:53:23 am »
I got a few more things completed while I missed most of life this week, had the flu since sunday, made it through monday.......
One good thing a member here is the coolest of cool. Chadwick70 I got the first caliper from, weeeeell I got the wrong one the first time like I explained before, and he fixed that with the quickness. On tuesday as I set watching cartoons with my 3 yr old daughter I noticed the mail man at my door. to my suprise it was my new caliper, I got it apart and have bee sanding on it all week and its almost ready for paint. I will post pics on my lunch.....

Offline fishhead

• Hot Shot
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2009, 07:09:43 am »
I will post pics on my lunch.....

Post the pics NEXT to your lunch. That way your lunch wont get mayo all over your freshly painted parts ;D

Looking good!! I like the polished fins.

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2009, 09:30:06 am »
Ahhh that's too funny I almost made a snot bubble laughing! ;D
Here ya go, this one was interesting it looks like it spend a bit of time outside. The bolts were very stiff but not quite frozen together.
I mounted it up to one of the legs of my workbench Po' boy' style, a little heat and an allen bit in my socket and whamo came apart like planned.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2009, 09:38:02 am »
I then noticed that the pad was almost frozen to the caliper so I mounted it to my front fork since I hadn't taken the whole front end apart yet and bled the air out, added some extra fluid to the MC and slowly pumped and continued to fill the MC with fluid. After a couple of trys it came loose and also like planned it came apart.
I wanted to use air to get it out but was unsure of how bad it was froze up, so I went with hydrolics to get it out, and for all the nubes that get into this for the first time, if you have extra brake fluid to sacrafice then do it this way and you don't have to worry about projectiles just a brake fluid mess to catch in a bucket.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2009, 09:41:05 am »
Ya can't see it but there was fluid leaking all over in that last pic... :P

Finally, I have spent the last two days sanding it down and prepping it for the same treatment as the first caliper, then it on to the headache that Iggy is doing in his dual disc thread....Maybe I should hop over there for some insperation, hello's and tips....

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2009, 03:54:50 pm »
Got #2 ready to paint, just have to finish doing the crazy mask job on the back part.......

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »
wait, yeah that's the one. the other was before the mask....DOH!
Now to let the good ol' clapton jam out...Back when he was Derek and the Dominos-The yard birds-cream.... 8) 8) 8) ;D Oh yeah blues is jamin' 8) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:01:47 pm by goon 1492 »

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2009, 07:27:36 am »
Paint is done finally. I got to score some gl1000 dual disc bolts.
I still have some finish sanding to do on the caliper back plates to clean up the paint lines...

Offline fishhead

• Hot Shot
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2009, 03:09:51 pm »
Looking good!
   If you plan on using the hard lines on the calipers, you will need to remove the "conic inverserer" from its stock position (left side caliper, rear brake line hole) to its new position that was the bleeder position on the left side.
 Look inside the holes and you will see the differences, one is concave/dished(bleeder) and one is convex/domed (brake line). The convex one needs to come out and be placed in the old bleeder location (for right side use). If you arent using the stock hard lines, you will still need to remove it for the bleeder (so the convex end of the bleeder will seal against the concave bottom of the hole).
 Or just run the right side brake line to the front hole and use the rear hole for the bleeder.
 Ewww.. Snot bubbles :-X

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2009, 06:06:53 am »
Wow Fishhead get out of my head, I was just going to ask that question this morning :P. So do I just use a dental pick to pull it out?  I noticed that its in there good and I knew they would have to be reversed to work, hmmm maybe put the caliper in the freezer for a bit for some shrinkage maybe that will help pop it out. I am in fact going to use the original hard lines for now, I have to order the hard line and rubber line along with a new caliper piston seal still and I figure that I'll get the gl1000 dual disc wheel bolts too. All will be coming from Hondaparts-direct. I'm thinkin about bobbin' the front fender too; its not in the best of shape, a few dents and a good dent in the back from the oil cooler in a P.O. life.

I am going to pull the front fender off today, get the rivets cut off and start to dismantle the left side caliper bracket assembly for cleaning and painting, and I also will be shining up the fork lowers while I am in there. I am also doing this because I am following Iggys lead on doing the calipers behind the forks trick....Hopefully.  ;)

I did have a question concerning the forks if someone could spare the time, I still have the factory setup with the covers that go in between the triples (forgot the name of them ??? ) and what I wondered was if I loosen the triple clamps will the forks slip down and out without dismantleing those covers and how do the rubber boots come off at the bottom triple mount? It looked like it all will come apart with ease but it can't hurt to ask for advice...

I think I will do the fender bob, it's calling for it. Lowering the forks an inch in the triples too since the back got some lowering blocks. Oh yeah since I'm on the subject of brakes look what Gavin Martin inspired me to make, I saw his tail light had a metal cover on it that said "stop" , I wanted one sooooo.....

It didn't quite come out right, I have to outline the stroke(thickness) of the letters since they were so skinny and cut one more.