Author Topic: Goon's dual disc brakes...  (Read 16906 times)

Offline fishhead

• Hot Shot
  • Why don't you go.....Well, you know the rest.....
Re: Goon's dual disc brakes...
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2009, 06:31:47 am »
If you still have the pistons out of the caliper, you can put a small nail (file down the head of the nail to fit through the hole on the caliper body but grab the inverserer) and pull it out from the outside.  Vice grips on the nail and tap it with a hammer and it usually comes out easily.
 I have also used a small tap (3mm- maybe?) to thread the inverserer and then used a bolt with a spacer (small socket) to pull it out. Sometimes, it spins when you go to thread it with the tap and comes out.
 Either way would work, but you have to keep from destroying it as you will need to reuse it.
Quote from:  Vanna White

Photobucket slide show (Fishhead Big Brakes)
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2009, 06:38:14 am »
The fork tubes should slide out of the fork ears/headlight mounts without problem. There may be some rubber bushings at the top and bottoms of the ears that will give some resistance.

The bottom of the fork ear has a lip similiar to the lip on the top of the fork leg, which holds the boot. Simply pry the boot edge out of the lip as you would on the leg.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2009, 07:11:19 am »
You guys rock, that's is what I will be doing when the rain hits tonight, as for today as soon as I can finish cutting the parts for today I am leaving work to get the garden going since the rain is suppost to hit tonight and trickle on ito next week. Bush beans,super sugar snap peas, 10lbs of potatoes, 240 red, yellow and white onion sets, carrots, detroit dark red beets, okra, cabbage with the potatoes. Oh man if ya'll lived close enough I would glagly repay all the help here with fresh veggies! ;D ;D
I still have 15 tomatoe plants to buy and get in too!!!! Hierloom type only, black Krims', Caspian Pink, Romas, Cherokee Purples....
Thanks again for the help and I will post pics.
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2009, 06:55:38 am »
well hit a bit of a speed bump, got the forks out to swap sides and one of them is leaking badly in side the rubber boot... I will show pics later...

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2009, 09:24:58 am »
Yeah good times, got the forks loose, seems they were secretly tryin' to fuse together with the triples over the last 32 yrs. got them out and got the rubber boots off(which are in good shaper but starting to get fine cracks in them so they might get replaced with new boots). the right side fork had about 6mm of fluid sitting in it at the bottom of the boot.
I figured what the hek since it looked like I am going to be rebuilding them I took the drain plugs out to see what came out. the left fork which didn't leak and will be the second brake recipient had a small plug of primodial goo and then about a spoon full of fluid came out.
Here's the fun part; I got to the leaky left fork and figured that it would be the same as the non leaky fork if not worse because of leaking fluid out....Not at all, as soon as I got the plug out it shot fluid three feet across my shop floor and stunk like some differential fluid out of one of my trucks...
So before I get to the fun part of the caliper fitting process I am rebuilding my forks....

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2009, 09:28:25 am »
That looks familiar  ;D

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2009, 09:31:12 am »
I thought about getting the seals for the fork lowers that replace the dust boots but I thought it would look dorky with those and still having the skirts(for lack of better word) that the turn signals mount to still on there, that will be another day when I do that so new dust boots are definetly in order for now.
Ahhhh!!!!!! look I has no legs!!!!

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2009, 09:37:26 am »
I gotta get a caliper seal, hard brake line and rubber line, double banjo bolt, another bleeder, gl1000 bolts, fork seals when I find the parts numbers, silicone brake fluid, get bigger MC since I felt the same about Iggys results as him on his dual disc setup with stock MC.... Man I have to sell some of my stuff to get more fun money..

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2009, 09:40:36 am »
The same dust covers that you could put on the legs, turn them over and they hook to the bottom of the fork ear, so it doesn't look dorky. Trims it off nice.  That's what i did with mine.

I have a picture on my build thread, sorry can't repost it at the moment.

Get that seal fixed first.

Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2009, 09:41:27 am »
I've got my rubber lines left over if you want them. They seem to be in pretty good shape if you can use them.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2009, 09:47:58 am »
MCRider I will have to go and check that out thank you sir, I am always looking for other options. Iggy I might take you up on that, I like the stainless lines you have on yours though, I will have to sort out what I can spend money on to see if I can splurge on some stainless...Thank you too Iggy

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2009, 09:50:08 am »
MCRider I will have to go and check that out thank you sir, I am always looking for other options. Iggy I might take you up on that, I like the stainless lines you have on yours though, I will have to sort out what I can spend money on to see if I can splurge on some stainless...Thank you too Iggy

So you  don't have to waste time, its on page 13 of this thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36459.180
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2009, 12:49:17 pm »
I see exactly what your saying MCRider, looks good too. Guess I should have stayed more open minded and not come to such a quick conclusion. Iggy are those rubber lines cracked at all?

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2009, 03:16:30 pm »
I'll check this coming weekend when I get up there. My recollection is no but I'll take some pics and send em your way.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2009, 05:20:24 am »
Ok well went shopping on line a few minutes ago to find out hondaparts-direct is closed... >:( :'( :'(
So I went on to partsnmore.com they got new fork gaiters(I was calling them dust boots ??? ) for 22.00$ and they got fork seals 10.00$ a set; I noticed they have the dust boots to replace the fork gaiters but I don' tneed those yet those are taken care of but now I need to find a place that I can get another caliper seal from, maybe westernhills honda?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:27:20 am by goon 1492 »

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2009, 05:34:16 am »
I also noticed that the dust boots wern't avaitable for 76'  ??? I don't see what could have changed to make 76' not compatable.
I might just reuse one of my old caliper seals since they are in pretty good shape still, not hardened or pitted still and shiny soooo.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2009, 06:46:18 am »
Ok took a bit to find westernhills honda, they have fork gaiters for 30.55$ and they also have fork seals for 9.51$, not sure if these are in stock items yet. I also found partsnmore has fork gaiters for 22.00$ straight up and fork seals for 10.00$ too. I want to order from partsnmore because I have before and have been satisified but I know if I go with westernhills honda for a bit more that they will be oem or nos parts....Budgets suck. I want oem.....
What kind of fork oil have you guys been sucessful with , I have heard about using atf fluid but I need to search more....

Offline Inkscars

• grumpiness comparable to an
  • Old Timer
  • I have a box. I'm used to being ignored.
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2009, 06:49:49 am »
I just bought the fork oil Lepisto told me to.
Judging by the consistency of the fork oil vs. an ATF, I will NOT be using atf for fork lube. Viscosity is way too different.
And who the hell named us; click-click-click-click-click-click

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2009, 09:40:26 am »
Hey Ink I was just sniffin' around your build thread and lookin' at the fork rebuild, I'm guessin' that you just replaced the seals and fluid? Because the walk thru went from doin't it and apart to completed, I missed somethin'. I hope I have as good of luck getting that bottom screw out of the forks...Gonna order parts in a bit I'm guessin' from westernhills honda since that will be oem...
Who is Lepisto? a member here? A little voice in your head,(I have one of those but the dam thing won't stop snoring  :P ) or is that the name of the fluid? what weight did you use?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:43:29 am by goon 1492 »

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2009, 11:34:04 am »
Lepisto, is the fella that owns Cyclops.
I wanted to change the oil in it and inspect my springs.
Mine were way too easy to get off. One I think 10 mm hex and a screwdriver (for leverage) the seals were so effed up that they just slide down off  the uppers. I did have a little trouble with the right fork seal. The PO must've damaged the seal surface when he was in it so when i had it apart I sanded a little along with parts washing and flushing it out. I took the springs out and inspected them and measured em to make sure they weren't all jacked up. Then put it all back together. As for the weight.... He said, " no don't get that weight, it's too light, get that one."
I'll see if i can find the bottle at  home.

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2009, 11:41:00 am »
Hmmm, I used ATF in mine (along with a new pair of progressive springs). Haven't had a chance to get it out on the road yet but the jump up and down on the handle bars test seems alright.

I'm interested in what you used as well. How much difference could there be really in the performance of the fork since it's just to dampen?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2009, 11:51:45 am »
Hmmm, I used ATF in mine (along with a new pair of progressive springs). Haven't had a chance to get it out on the road yet but the jump up and down on the handle bars test seems alright.

I'm interested in what you used as well. How much difference could there be really in the performance of the fork since it's just to dampen?

ATF is the universal recommendation. The weight is about 5 to 8W I think. It also has chemicals in it to preserve the seals. 5 to 8 is fine for most people and most uses. If your carrying a fairing, extra weight you may want something heavier. If you fancy yourself a more aggressive rider, too.

Branded fork oil comes in many weights. The racer guys get obsessive about it, changing weights in single digit steps, mixiing their own.  Granted the weights make a difference in ride and response.

Most dealers carry 5-10-15-20-25 or such, in 5 digit steps. Most fork oil probably has seal preservation chems also. Branded fork oil will likely make all sorts of claims for features and additives. Some good perhaps, others not so much maybe.

Hugely a personal preference item. I'm as likely to use ATF as anything.  Not quite as controversial as engine oil...lets see what I've got started.   ;D
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2009, 11:58:02 am »
Well, I'm not big on lube anyway. (take that how you will)
I think it was 15. I'm not sure. I didn't buy it because of any big claims or anything. I bought it because of the thickness. There's not a whole lot of components in there ya know?
The fella that owns the shop that I go to has been around for a long time and people trust him. It was 6 bucks vs. 4 for atf anyway.
to each their own.

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2009, 01:11:33 pm »
Thanks folks that pretty much sums it up, I think I remember good talk of the atf fliud its just nice to know many opinons. Coming from an RC nitro truck prespective we used oil filled shocks and had many different setups to go off of varying from different dampers inside that would have two holes or three holes to allow for fluid flow from top to bottom as the shock went thru the moevments, and also different weights of pure silicone oil, on top of progressive springs too. I figured it is a similar world just different varients.
Now I need to check on the broom stick thingy...

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2009, 05:50:21 am »
Ah hah, got an email this morning stating that Hondaparts-direct is back on line. I'm getting my goodies from there today! ;D