Author Topic: '72 CB750K project nearing completion - few more questions  (Read 16786 times)

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
Re: 72 CB750K bobber/brat/cycle My new/old project
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 06:22:53 pm »
Guys,

I have seen this bike in person.  OMG  the pictures do not do it justice.  That engine looks better than...  Hell anything.   I can't wait til he gets it finished. 

Greeny,

I have been looking around and I think you need to go with the 11" shocks out back.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
    • Drewfus Nation, my podcast, bicycle collection, blog etc
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 06:30:13 pm »
that is looking KILLER!

Nice work greenjeans!
"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"
-212 Margarita by The Hold Steady
Build thread:http://forums.sohc

fuzzybutt

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 08:35:11 pm »
what kind of motorcycle is that front drum from? i'm thinking about doing just that for my chopper build.

Offline flipprboi

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 01:30:59 am »
LOVE them tires mahn. 

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 05:27:10 am »
Very nice and looking forward to seeing more!!

Good example of going from concept bike (photoshop) to reality! Ggood luck finishing it and loving the before/after shots.

Couple of questions - what bars do you have on there? Any plans to brace the front forks?

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 07:35:11 am »
The drum is of an early CB450  they shine up easily & you'll be able to find them pretty cheap.  I got mine for $40.   Right now, I'm trying to get my hands on a different swingarm off a later 650 - supposedly it's about 2" longer, which would drop the rear a bit and stretch it out a bit.  Anybody actually done a swingarm swap on a '72 that doesn't require too much machining etc ?

The bars are just some cheapo 1.5" rise bars I picked up for $10 at a swap meet.   I'm still searching for a wider bar - ideally I'd like some of those old school looking bars like these (the bottom ones)

I'm still looking for a cool fork brace that won't break the bank.  In the meantime, I've removed the brace from my stock fender and painted it black.

Thanks for the compliments....right now I'm still trying to get that frickin' Kreme liner out of the tank so I can finally
paint it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:48:06 am by greenjeans »
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

BillyBoring

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 11:24:45 am »
A buddy and I did the swingarm swap a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly he had a 72 as well. The 650 swing arm was like 2 1/4" longer and the only real trick was drilling out the pivot holes on the frame for the bigger dia. 650 swingarm ( to like 5/8"). Also you may need axle spacers depending on what year 650 you get it from. My friend bought like 4 of them from a swap meet so he had one that took the 750 axle. I think he ended up using one from an 80 or 81. Hope this helps. It was a pretty straight forward job and we finished in an afternoon.

Offline unkle fester

• Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 11:52:42 am »
what size are the tires.......if ya don't mind me askin..................

Offline jreich

• Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 05:15:20 pm »
Looking great Greenjeans....let us know how your gas tank turns out after the "works" treatment.

You and I are proceeding with similar builds...I bought the 'aces' bar made by biltwell from lowbrow customs

http://lowbrowcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=303

...might be the design you are looking for as well...I got mine in black and they look great. Can't say enough for lowbrow as well...always great service and fast shipping.

Thanks again for the info on the tires...ended up finding a front 18" over on the Jockey Journal and got a 16" rear from ebay for $104

Look forward to seeing more of your build

cheers
JD

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 07:01:16 pm »
what size are the tires.......if ya don't mind me askin..................

Tires are 4.0 x 19 front & 4.5 x 18 rear

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 06:55:48 am »
Finally got my bodywork finished up and the tank cleaned out over the long weekend....

My tank had a Kreme liner that was poorly installed.  I tried a number of things to get rid of it.  MEK definitely softens the liner, but it seems that you'd
need a gallon of it to dissolve it.  After several hours with the MEK, I poured a whole can of "aircraft stripper" in there and rotated the tank until everything
was covered.  I let that sit overnight and that took care of the liner.  I rinsed with plenty of water and then put some "the works" in there to clean more.

The bottom and sides of the tank that I can see, look great.  The top still seems like it has some rust/debris there.   I'm going to let it soak overnight with some
more "the works" and hopefully that will take care of it all.

*If you guys use "aircraft stripper" be careful, if you plug the holes/fuel filler it will create pressure very quickly....make sure you vent the tank, or it will explode
like a hot radiator......

Finally, I was able to chose the paint color...  House of Kolor  -apricot flake.  It's a pretty good metalflake that is a kinda close to the candy whiskey color
that I originally wanted.  It's not quite a bass boat flake, but it should stand out a bit.   It's painted over a black base and finshed off with plenty of clear.

I filled all the spaces where the badges were - even on the side covers.  I'm probably going to run just a badge (like the ones I made last week) on the
tank & nothing on the side covers....

I also went ahead and found a longer swing arm for it after staring at it over and over during the weekend.  Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week.

I am debating putting a factory stripe on there - in black, but am a bit undecided.   Feel free to chime in.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:08:59 am by greenjeans »

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 09:47:50 am »
Finally got to paint.....my favorite part.    First I stripped the tank with some aircraft stripper and gave it a light bead blast.  Filled all the emblems and gave it a shot of primer in my ghetto paint booth.   I have one of those EZ up shade canopies.  If you wrap some plastic around it, it actually makes a pretty nice temporary booth....

After it dried, I wet sanded till it was baby butt smooth and started with the actual paint.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:58:49 am by greenjeans »

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 09:51:53 am »
I decided on House of Kolor Apricot Flake....  it's just a orange tinted flake that kinda mimics the factory sunrise orange - although it's quite a bit guadier - had to go 70's flake.

First you shot a regular black base coat.

Then you just mix the flake in with the clear and shoot it.   Followed by some regular clear.  Then a light sanding,
then the tank stripes, then more clear.

Pictures don't do it justice.  That paint is positively glowing in the sun.  House of Kolor makes some great stuff.
The good thing about using just the HOK flake is - you can use a cheaper house brand of basecoat clear coat.
really saved me a ton of money, cause I always have some black and clear hanging around the shop.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:56:50 am by greenjeans »

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 09:55:25 am »
Finally....after a few weeks I was able to start bolting / assembling stuff back on the bike.

I still need to do some things after I see it....

1.  I'm going to rotate the front fender forward a bit.
2.  Lower the front and rear about 1.5"
3.  ???

Can't wait.....it's getting so close to being rideable again.

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Re: Updated 72 CB750K My new/old project 2/27 FINALLY PAINT !
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 10:03:56 am »
I picked up a reproduction K0 seat from DSS.  It's not a factory Honda seat but it was about half the price as a new one so I decided to spring for it and a reproduction Sparto tail lamp to replace the monstrosity that was the rear tail light.
The seat is going to do for the summer untill I'm able to fab a new seat pan & upholstery.

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
Re: *Updated 2/27* 72 CB750K My new/old project FINALLY PAINT !
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 10:49:47 am »
paint looks sweet bro, love that color

Offline BlindJoe

• Expert
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 11:23:07 am »
ditto!

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
    • Drewfus Nation, my podcast, bicycle collection, blog etc
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 01:43:15 pm »
Beautiful paint job, nice color choice and subdued graphics.
Those wheels and tires look fantastic too, nice job!

::) where did ya get those super cool tank badges ??  ::)
"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"
-212 Margarita by The Hold Steady
Build thread:http://forums.sohc

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 04:59:11 pm »
::) where did ya get those super cool tank badges ??  ::)

right , those are pretty sweet  ... wish i had some .. except, with 550 instead of 750, that would be awesome

Offline rachet

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB750 F2
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 05:15:17 pm »
This is a great build and I love the paint!

Well done!

Rach~
But I need Tacos!  I need them or I will explode!

Offline gonzobrian

• Enthusiast
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 05:20:35 pm »
Wow that bike is looking great.  That front tire is a monster.  What are your impressions of the DS seat?  I have a KO I'm restoring and have been looking at seat options as all I have is the seat pan.  Are you going to sell that seat when you change out  ???

Offline luder

• Hot Shot
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2009, 07:55:59 am »
Sweet I like this build......Luder

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2009, 08:07:42 am »
WOW!!

I am going to have to swing by next week to take a look at that thing!! 

The color looks better than you described. 
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2009, 08:12:54 am »
Wow that bike is looking great.  That front tire is a monster.  What are your impressions of the DS seat?  I have a KO I'm restoring and have been looking at seat options as all I have is the seat pan.  Are you going to sell that seat when you change out  ???

The seat is great for my purpose... don't know if I'd use it for a K0 restoration, but then again, I've never actually seen a proper K0 with a new seat.  I will likely sell it when I get around to making my seatpan, so I'll PM you when that happens

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2009, 06:45:13 pm »
Fantastic color, love the black stripes, rear fender and rim hoops.  Can wait to see the finished project.  Good work! 
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com