Poll

Would You Still Consider Giving A Hitch Hiker A Lift?

Yes Without A Doubt
4 (8.2%)
No Not A Chance
26 (53.1%)
Yes If They Were Over 50
1 (2%)
Yes If They Were Wearing A Military Uniform
4 (8.2%)
Yes If Their Car Was Visibly Broken Down
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Times Have Changed. Hitch Hikers May Be A Thing Of The Past.  (Read 3232 times)

Paris

Times Have Changed. Hitch Hikers May Be A Thing Of The Past.
« on: October 04, 2005, 11:31:21 pm »
I'm 40 years old and back in the early to mid 80's it wasn't uncommon for me to hitch a ride every now and again. With the exception of a couple of instances my memories of this nearly gone past time were pleasant ones. Without the bait of eye candy or the general appearance of the hiker to influence your decision what are the chances that you may help someone on down the road? I'm also guilty of sometimes judging a book by it's cover and more times than not I've been wrong. Keep in mind that the main reason they cracked down on hitch hiking where I was raised was because hikers would use broken down cars on the side of the highway as bait to get a ride even though the cars were not theirs.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 02:44:24 am by Paris »

Offline Quail "Owner of the comfortable k8"

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
Re: Times Have Changed. Hitch Hikers May Be A Thing Of The Past.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 06:46:23 am »
It was just as risky in the 60 as it is now.  Did it then do it now.  Not on a bike though.  I will say the gun is under my leg now, back then I did'nt think I would ever die.  I figure the gun just makes us even.

P.S  Lets not do the gun thing on this thread.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 06:48:03 am by Quail "BIRDMAN OF THE k8" »
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 07:19:35 am »
yea,i agree with quail on this one
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 06:04:28 am »
don't see many hitch hikers over here in the uk as we used to  :-\ just don't know who you are letting in do you mick.
Honda CB750 KO 1970,   Honda VTX 1300 2006, Lancaster England.

Offline DammitDan

• Jedi
  • Master
  • Slowly returning to the Honda flock...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 09:27:22 am »
Only if I they were sitting on the side of the road NEXT to their broken down car.  And then only in the back of the truck, never in the cab.  Not that they could fit in the cab... passenger seat is filled with trash usually.  What can I say, I'm a bachelor who just about lives in his pickup.

Now, if it were a motorcycle on the side of the road, I would always help out.  You know, that whole underground brotherhood thang.
Signatures are for wimps!

Kelvin8

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 08:19:11 pm »
I would, but my WIFE would kill me if I did. Back in the '70's I picked up a gal (on my 350) who told me she was a Hustler magazine centerfold. I got a lift once when THAT bike let me down, I was pushing it and a guy stopped and asked if I needed a lift to a shop (to get the part I needed). Then, for a couple of months I kept picking up the same gal every other week at the same place, she was a punk rocker on her way to Beverly Hills to her job as a maid (I was on my way to the post office there where I had a PO Box).

Don't get the wrong idea about my wife. When we first got engaged I asked her how she felt about me riding a motorcycle (didn't have one at the time) and she said, "I want to learn!" She's gone with me every time I wanted to check out a bike. (of course she's grumbling about the one parked in back that isn't yet working ... hopefully tomorrow it will at last BE ALIVE!).

Offline jotor

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 08:14:16 am »
don't see many hitch hikers over here in the uk as we used to  :-\ just don't know who you are letting in do you mick.

Almost never see a hiker in this part of the US any more.  I think the last one I picked up was an elderly lady who turned out to be a reecent emigree from Russia.  Very common there and she seemed a bit upset when I refused payment.

Last time I hitched a ride was when my van broke down--maybe 20 years ago.  Now with cell phone and AAA don't need to.

(Besides--I finally got rid of the van.).................. :)
I'd rather ride a Yamaha than eat worms.

Gallery.....http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=2254.0

Teach

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 08:46:04 pm »
I'll give them a ride if I'm in my truck and they can just hop in the back.  I don't drive the truck very often, though.

ElCheapo

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 08:31:25 pm »
In my neck of the woods stopping to help a hitch hiker has some rules.

You see I have been on the road out of gas at 1:00am just 1 mutha friken mile from the off ramp. This was after traveling for 3 days so you can imagine what I looked like.  ;D It was not pretty.

When there is snow on the ground and they have spun out off the road "with kids in the car" I stop and help. If there are no kids in the car the TOO BAD, SO SAD. I figure the kids did not ask to be born to morons wrapped in idiots.

If they are well you know ::) ::) ::) ,,,,, by themselves I stop and help, yes I am still a bit of a pig.

If there are two....................I SLAM THE BRAKES EATING TIRES... SMOKE rolling out.... Back up whoop whoop whoop (that was the flat spots on the tires  ;D .... and help  :o ::) Oops did I say that?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 08:33:02 pm by ElCheapo »

Offline toycollector10

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 07:11:07 pm »
I drove my last hitchhiker for and hour and a half, went past my stop to position him well back on the road, o.k.

He gets out, thanks me and goes to the rear of the car, hatchback, gets his pack and I'm off.

A week later the car starts to really stink. The mofar has put a bag with his rubbish, including an uneaten
ham sandwich down in the wheel-well under the flip-up.

He must have been a greenie, didn't want to litter the roadway, the ungrateful pig.
1969  CB 750 K0
1973  CB175
1973  Z1 Kawasaki