Author Topic: A Small Project; A Honda CB92  (Read 52040 times)

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: A Small Project; A Honda CB92
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2009, 06:59:14 am »
How's the bike build going Ben?

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2009, 07:49:15 am »
How's the bike build going Ben?
Well everything is ready to go on the bike. But sam needs to stop frying pistons and get this record for the rs125 and then we can start the rebuild.
Ben ;)
"Youngest Member On The Forum! Joined When I Was 12!"

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2009, 10:58:08 am »
come on Sam, stop holding the lad back.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2009, 04:52:05 pm »
Sounds like you've got some good times coming in the near future there Ben, Enjoy.

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2009, 11:53:26 am »
soooooooo...

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2009, 02:49:41 pm »
If all goes to plan we should have the record by next week and then we can start on the benly's! ;)
BB ;D ;) ;D ;)

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2009, 04:38:08 pm »
Great news Ben. How's the summer treating you?

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2009, 05:26:34 pm »
It's been good Al but it's not stopped raining for the last two days.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline toycollector10

• Expert
1969  CB 750 K0
1973  CB175
1973  Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2009, 08:57:59 pm »
If all goes to plan we should have the record by next week and then we can start on the benly's! ;)
BB ;D ;) ;D ;)

Well it didn't go to plan at the weekend but work on the Benly will start real soon.
Also getting the once over will be the Benly's stable mate, the sprint version weighing in at just 139lbs.
Also on the cards is the ultimate Benly. It will be the same motor but with a lot of one off special parts and a lot of modern technology going in to it.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2009, 02:14:12 pm »
well, were going to attept to blow away some years worth of dust from the benly sprinter this weekend. Ill have a video of me and sam firing  the bike up.
Benny ;)

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2009, 01:54:47 am »
The old & new...

Benny ;)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2009, 05:58:38 pm »
Thanks Benny. For anyone that's intrested, the old bike is an overbored 125 C/CB92/95 Benly from the late 50s/early 60s.
In the late 60s it recorded a speed of 87mph in still conditions and took the British flying mile record in 71 with 73mph in gale force winds.
The bike has been stood for a good few years without turning, the motor was completley stuck with Castrol Racing oil. We pulled it apart and started washing all the stickey crap out at the weekend. You wouldn't think a motor could seize due to the oil. ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2009, 02:02:20 pm »
We started to rebuild one of the motors at the weekend (the one out of the sprint bike pictured above). Ben took some pics of the three different gear boxes we have to choose from. We opted for the CB92/95 close ratio option that will be used for quarter mile sprints. If anyone is intrested I'll post the ratios.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2009, 01:50:21 pm »
Honda CB92/95 Gearboxes.
 Standard.

Close Ratio.

Ultra Close Ratio.

Sam will post the ratios 2morrow.
Benly-ben ;)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2009, 01:31:06 pm »
Pic #1    standard.  Pic #2   Close Ratio.  Pic #3  ultra close.

13/34 = 2.615         14/33 = 2.350          18/29 = 1.611
        18/29 = 1.611         19/28 = 1.470          21/26 = 1.238
        21/25 = 1.190         23/24 = 1.043          23/24 = 1.043
        25/22 = 0.880         25/21 = 0.840          25/22 = 0.880

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline malcolmgb

• What am I not? an
  • Expert
  • The BEST 400 four by far
    • malcnet
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2009, 06:30:28 am »
Ahhh I see now!, you get the camera closer to the gearbox to make it a closer ratio  ;) ;D ;D

Very nice Ben keep up the good work.
Malcolm

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

1977 CB400F
1973 CL175 K7
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=1988

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2009, 11:42:48 am »
The sprinter motor finally coming together I took lots of pics.

Gasket goo being applied to the surfaces where the cases go together, to ensure no leaks.

Crank and gearbox in the top 1/2 case ready for the bottom 1/2 case.

The lid!

Cases together and bolted.

Gasket on.

Barrel going on.

Circlip going in.

Clutch basket going in.

Clutch centre going in.

Clutch plates going in.

Pressure plate going in.

will have the rest by next week.

Benly ben ;)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2009, 12:50:09 pm »
With just a few days of my US trip to go, It'll soon be back to this project depending on what happens at work when I return. I know I'll be working days instead of nights but I don't know what my job will be, at least I'll be on the same shift as schoolie Ben. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2009, 01:35:48 pm »
With just a few days of my US trip to go, It'll soon be back to this project depending on what happens at work when I return. I know I'll be working days instead of nights but I don't know what my job will be, at least I'll be on the same shift as schoolie Ben. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
yay ;)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2009, 02:07:33 pm »
So I might see ya Friday night little buddie? ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2009, 02:12:14 pm »
So I might see ya Friday night little buddie? ;)

Sam. ;)
why is that thaught you were home sunday?

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2010, 01:21:43 pm »
Benly Pictures Everybody!!!!!

This is a fuel injected, methanol burning, C95 Benly (161cc).

Mid-late 90's; Sam spinning off the line at houghton tower on his C95 Benly (different bike to previous).

On the Line at houghton tower, at a different meeting.

Houghton tower; different meeting again though.

Chris Cullen riding Sam's Road- Racer 175cc Benly at lyme park sprint '99.

Same bike as saw in previous photo, but a lot more up to date.

164cc fuel injected, methanol burning, super lightweight Sprint & drag racing benly in a special tubular frame.

Sam in posing gear in front of the race transport and the VFR400.

Benny ;)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #148 on: May 03, 2010, 02:26:16 am »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We got the bike running at the weekend. Timing and carb was a bit out but a bigger problem cropped up.
After about 15 to 20 minutes of putting the gas in, it started pi$$ing out from a leak under the tank.
I had heard of people running modern fuels in glass tanks having problems with leaks caused by the Ethanol in some gas products.
I was using Shell Vpower 99, as we have allways used this in the CR and RS race bikes.
I checked on the Shell website to see if Vpower contained Ethanol. It said that Vpower with added Ethanol was only available in Australia as Vpower racing and even this had been discontinued.
I doubt if I can resolve the problem in time for the first race next weekend.
It could have been a leak that has occured with age as the tank has not had any use since Bens dad rode the bike about 11 years ago.
I do have a small aluminum tank that fits inside the frame but it will be quite a lot of work to fit it and would mean making the seat quickly deatchable to be able to re-fuel it.
I dont want to turn the bike out at a very big event (about 130,000 spectators) and have it not 100%.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline SoyBoySigh

• Enthusiast
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2015, 05:37:02 am »
I love the Benly Super-Sport, IMHO one of the most beautiful bikes Honda ever made.

Right now, my retro-fried '82 CB900F Bol D'Or is in the process of it's re-envisioning as a "CB900K0 Bol Bomber" - homage to the '65 CB450K0 Black Bomber -

But if I had my druthers, and a Tony Foale leading-link fork? It'd be a "CB902" ... which would be a what? Benly Super-Bol? Bolly Super-Ben? Either way, it's beautiful the way I picture it!

The main thing that makes me think of the earlier bike is the alloy gas tank from CB1100R which I've polished up on the sides etc. Much as it makes a good toaster-tank, it reminds me all the more of the CB92 tank especially with RC-series wing decals on it. It just needs the big rubber belly bumper on it!

Well whatever - I just wanna tell you how I feel about these early Honda twins. It was a time when Honda was sooo cutting edge. Even more so than later. If that's possible. But it's also about their distinct & iconic aesthetics. NOBODY was building bikes like these.

Well, yeah I guess there were a few interesting things out there - the Ariel Arrow & Leader for instance. Themselves copied directly from a pre-War German bike. Every now and again the smaller motorcycles and larger scooters ... break out of their corral, hop over a fence or two, and mate with each other. Or perhaps they were locked up to opposite sides of a chain-link fence? Either way, some curious hybridization occurred and those are some of the most interesting bikes IMHO.

But Honda didn't just blur those lines, they also DREW them - with models centered around the same engines and even wheels, brakes, running gear - they offered back-bone and under-bone versions of their basic flat single from the Cub.

There's just so much going ON with these early Honda twins. Like AL-FIN cast brake drums in the same vein as was being done with high-spec race-bikes of the previous/contemporaneous few years. Crisp precise castings and 2LS actuation, all alloy construction, full adjustability etc - all the way down to the smallest models. Compare 'em to brakes from anything but the aftermarket - well sometimes the other Japanese makers seemed to get it right too, but Honda was really leading with that stuff - then you get on up through the chassis and it's all WOW with the pressed sheet-metal monocoque frames - they should be doing these things today but in Aluminum. I guess they are, with the Delta-Box frames. But monocoque BACK-BONE frames would be refreshing.... Then you get to the engines and they're incredible to see that type of tech on smaller models. Let alone what they brought to the TRACK during those first five to ten years. On up through the running gear. Beautiful components - you don't get a sense that they're cutting costs at all - not when you look at contemporary marques from elsewhere - and such a focus on weigh savings too, it's like they truly were "race-bred" - proven out by how competitive they were with just a few mods. I gather there were a lot of internal changes for engines within a given model year. Revisions or improvements. I keep hearing about that as though it were a criticism. But think of how other marques would've just kept plugging out the original version, with a product recall down the line!

I figure it's only appropriate to re-model the DOHC-four and even DOHC-six the CBX, in "Hailwood Replica" mode - 'cause this whole series were meant to evoke those earlier race victories. Gotta wonder if it's dredging out all of that DOHC tech from the archives is what prompted 'em to return to racing in '79 with the NR500 - Well I've seen some of them done and well, but I don't quite have a decent fake 4LS drum worked out, planning to pull a rabbit out of a hat with the GL1500 fork and PC800 "hub" - I've got a spare Suzuki GT750J drum from my other project, the "KZ440LOL" but that thing's totally inadequate for these beasts. It would be interesting to try some type of Benly replica on say, a CB400T or thereabouts, a little Hawk twin from the late '70s early '80s Super-Sport family. But not on the bigger fours. So yeah until I can figure out a good "Faux-Leading-Shoe" shrouded "internal" disc brake, let alone a shrouded FORK in the vein of a leading-link item (like the DIY fork shrouds of that one-off Ducati "MS4R" (where they're less of a fake-out and more of a functional aerodynamic cowl - tempting but the underlying suspension is USD and I'm loathe to put a USD fork onto any '80s Superbike!!!) until I can wrap my head around that type of stuff, I figure the best features of the early twins are gonna be out of reach - And so I proceed with re-modelling the DOHC 900 as two DOHC 450's strapped side-by-side! Which is what the 900 IS, really - the power per litre is on par. Perhaps the next one will pull it off. The "KZ440LOL" (as in "laugh out loud") is for my kid to ride, but she'll need a proper DOHC 750cc's+ in no time at all. And so one or the other of these bikes is gonna realize my dream of a "CB902" - it's a model I'll probably never be done with. Had three '82 CB's now, two 750's and now a 900 - but my first bike was a '69 CB100 "parts-bike" which took over it's SL100 project to become a hybrid of the two - then I rode an '82 C70 Passport for a lot of years. Just sayin' - I'm ALSO big into the smaller bikes and singles at that. And going back to the start, I was always keen on the early Honda twins above all else.

I recall an article in Cycle Canada or one of the other big motorcycle magazines, which I read in the library of my High-School - laughing at the prospect of the older "toaster-tank" Honda models becoming "collectable" - they poked fun at the prospect of their being CLUBS in the future full of guys riding around on toaster-tank twins, that there would be a huge aftermarket segment devoted to pattern parts.

And this positively RANKLED me to read it! I still fume about it now, thinking of the negativity people projected towards my little bikes.

But we've got the last laugh NOW, I should think! The resale value of these old bikes seems to go up and up and up. If only I had the cash to snap 'em all up back then, 'cause when I was getting into it, that had to have been an all time low point in North American appreciation for little old Honda twins. Can't even think of how many I had passed over for lack of a place to PUT 'em. Should've bought an old Quonset or something ha-ha. Heck there was an S50 at one point that I could've taken it away free for the hauling. Bah! I'm sure we've all got these stories.

Thing is, they're not a GUILTY pleasure, 'cause they don't belch horrible emissions, they don't guzzle gas they sip it rather miserly. In a sense we haven't caught back up with them yet, in that there hasn't been a segment of transportation which met their sensible economy & efficiency.

Maybe with the electrics? It's my fervent hope that the electric bikes will pick up something from the aesthetics of these early twins. Monocoque frames. Regenerative-electric brake hubs shaped like the 2LS & 4LS drums of old. A bit of polished alloy & chrome, a few cooling fins perchance? Leading-link forks and wire-spoked alloy rims - one can only hope! Ah but we'll probably get an enormous Gold Wing hybrid first - well that's alright with me so long as it's a '75-'77 GL1000 and not a GL1500 or GL1800 style!

I suppose what I'm GETTING AT, is more and more young people need to SEE these older Honda twins. To pique their interest. Youngsters these days are very interested in the vintage mechanical stuff. We older folks might be impressed with electronic gadgetry but the young folks most definitely aren't. Sure there might be a lot of 'em on the 'net or playing Vidiot games, but that's all about porn and furthermore fantasy about earlier eras - perhaps a Vidiot game about racing 60's era 125cc GP machines? Or maybe the Vidiot games are a red herring, and we should push to see these bikes included in the PORNOGRAPHY instead........

-S.