Author Topic: Getting the CB750 onto it's center stand  (Read 12197 times)

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
Getting the CB750 onto it's center stand
« on: March 30, 2009, 03:16:25 pm »
It seems like 35 years ago I had no trouble getting my CB750 onto it center stand. Nowadays it's impossible. I just can't do it. I use a tackle in the garage to pull it up but beyond that I'm lost. Am I just old and feeble now or am I missing something again. Wise cracks will be ignored  ;)

Jamil20

Re: Getting the CB750 onto it's center stand
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 03:21:32 pm »
What's your strategy?

it's supposed to be all in the legs.

Offline gerhed

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 03:21:47 pm »
I took my center stand off--it was so difficult to use.
Rides: 75 CB750F, 48 Indian Chief, 67 Triumph TR6, 63Honda CA95
          83 XL600R in CB360 Frame
          3-wheel electric tilting cycle

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:28:29 pm »
I don't find mine to be much of a problem...

I have the sidestand down and am on the left side of the bike, one hand on the left grip and the other on the seat's grab rail.

With my right foot I press down on the center stand and slowly upright the bike until both sides of the center stand are on the ground.

I then step down with my foot, lift up on the rail, and pull the bike towards the rear tire.

Mine goes up without much difficulty for me.
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline tonycb650

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:33:14 pm »
Have you adjusted or changed your rear shocks? shorter shocks or "softer setting" will make it harder to get on the center stand.
80cb650c 80 cm400

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 03:33:51 pm »
Yeah OK UnCrash. That's what I've tried. I guess I am too old and feeble. Oh well.

manther

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 03:34:05 pm »
I thought mine was difficult to use as well until a friend showed me I was doing it wrong. I was putting too much emphasis on pullnig up, when I should have been putting more on pulling back. (with one foot pushing hard against the center stand towards the handlebars). I also stand almost behind the bike, not directly beside it. To help obtain a more pulling back motion.

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 03:39:46 pm »
Manther - I'll try that too. I've been just afraid of dropping the thing being way back behind it.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 03:46:41 pm »
Its all technique.

My 5 ft 2 inch ex-wife could put a 750 on the center stand.

Now if you have short shocks or a smaller rear tire than stock....thats another matter.

If you really want it on the center stand....and don't feel you can master it (honestly someone showing ya how is probably whats needed) you could build a 2" lift ramp for the back tire.....maybe a 2 X 12 piece of scrap lumber with a bevel to act as a ramp.

Put it on the side stand...kick your little ramp under the back tire....push the rear tire up on it and bobs your uncle.
Stranger in a strange land

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 04:04:51 pm »
Uncrash and Kghost - best tips yet...they both work easily

I have a cx500 that you can put on the centrestand with one hand on the grab rail - so well balanced there is hardly any effort being put in.. I have a friend who cannot get the hang of it and nearly drops his bike everytime he tries.

The 750 requires a samll amount of effort as the front/rear balance is weighted towards the front...(there is a big heavy motor in that frame).If you took the centrestand off and tried to lift it from the centrestand mounts with a floor jack or similar it will topple forward....

Offline Jakoba

• I'm far from a CB750
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 04:07:45 pm »
Yeah OK UnCrash. That's what I've tried. I guess I am too old and feeble. Oh well.

Don't be so foolish. My 71 yr old Father-in-Law put his 81 750c on the centerstand with no issue. He can even put my 78 750k on it's centerstand.
It's all in the leg..you don't have to pull on the bike at all. Just walk that stand into the ground like your pshing a round top shovel into gravel!!!

Cheers

Jako
Jako
Member #4500
--------------
"See the ditch, see the ditch, in the ditch"

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 04:10:28 pm »
Yeah, I just straddle the rear of the bike w/centerstand down, push down with left foot on left side of stand, trap it down to the ground with the ball of my foot and pull back on the vertical compression frame bar in front of the shocks while it pivots rearward. Simple as 3.14. No vertical movement involved at all.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 06:33:58 am by Dukiedook »
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 04:28:02 pm »
Exactly, it's all in the foot action against the center stand, When my buddy first got his FJR1300R, which is heavier than any CB750, he showed me how to get it up on the center stand, that stand had a pad on it the size of most automotive clutch pedals where the CB750 one doesn't, it's very misleading as to how much pressure they expect you to put on the CB750 center stand.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 04:35:26 pm »
There is knack to it. I can;t get the knack. I pull the bike backwards fast and jump on the center stand and let momentum do the rest.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Shenanigans

• At making holes in walls, Im a
  • Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 04:38:22 pm »
I used to not even be able to even get my 550 on the center stand, so I had someone stand on the other side of the bike so I could be confident of it not falling over and I spent 20 mins trying different angles and ways to position myself and then bingo. I figured out just what to do, went over to my 750 and up it went no problem. If all 125 of me can center a 750, anyone can.
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Jamil20

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 05:21:04 pm »
There is no pulling the bike backwards required. It's a straight up and down force. Pull up from the grab rail, and push down HARD on the centre stand. The push down is what'll move the bike backwards.

manther

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 06:26:37 pm »
The guy who said have someone show you, said it best. 3 hours of research on the net won't do you anywhere near the amount of good, a buddy showing you can do in 5 minutes.

Offline coyotecowboy

• Hot Shot
  • Easily Distracted
    • American Legion Riders Post 69 Medicine Lodge, Ks
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 07:12:37 pm »
1st. What year is your 750?  The early bikes (K0-K1 maybe?) were easier to get on the centerstand and harder to get off.  Later bikes (K2 and on) had a revised centerstand and were just the opposite, harder to get on and easier to roll off.

My technique is to put your right foot on the stand and left hand on the center of the bars or close to it. Right hand on the grab bar and the outside of your right knee against the front side of the shock body.  Then its a combination of pushing with your knee and stepping down with your right leg, then lift a little and pull back with your right hand.  Just use your left hand to keep the bike steady.

I've got a K2 and you have to put out a little to get it on the stand, but I usually manage to have the bike heading downhill whenever I need it on the stand :D

After I'm done, I take the stand back off and hang it from the rafters, lol.
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad

http://www.alrpost69.com/

Sunrise Orange 750 K2

1981 Husqvarna 430 XC, "Inga"

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 07:38:05 pm »
I'm with Jamil20: but first, check these things:

Is the grab rail handle still there on the left side, bolted to the shock and frame? If not, maybe find one and put it back on: these were often removed to install saddlebag and luggage racks, then got lost. It's in the perfect spot for the straight-up right-leg+right arm lift. I also pull back on the left handlebar, or put my left hand under the seat edge near the front, to help. It's real difficult to do with a 200+ lb touring load aboard!

What size rear tire do you have? With a 120/90 x 18 rear tire, it is easier than with, say, a 110/90 or 4.00 x 18 tire.

Where are the shocks set, and are they stock shocks? If they are shorter than stock (or K0 shocks, which were shorter), or if you have a lowering kit, or smaller-than-18" rear wheel, the lift is a considerably longer distance and the startup is at the wrong angle.

Years ago, there was a fold-down chrome footpiece with a clamp that grabbed the left side of the stand, and it would lay out flat behind the stand when it was first lowered. You would first sidestand the bike, then lower the c-stand with your toe, and flip the footpiece over the crooked arm that wraps the muffler when up. If you let it go at this point and it slapped upward, it dented the bottom of the #2 pipe, but a gentle release was OK. Then you would line up for the pull, straighten the bike, and the footpiece gave a much larger foot push area to work against.

My secret has always been to wear thick-soled boots when I ride, partially for this purpose...  ;)

I still stand the bike every night, because a couple of times I have seen little neighborhood kids climb up on it. Once I found it lying on its side (from the sidestand), making me wonder if someone got hurt if it fell on them. It sure didn't help the cases out, either.  :-\
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Porscheguy912

• I'm a Big Shot Ninja.
  • Hot Shot
  • It's MR. Moustache To you SIR!
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 08:40:11 pm »
I dont know if it helps but i hold the front brake.
That way if i cant summon the energy burst to get all the way on the stand on the first pull,
Its already half way up.
But I'm 27. I really don't know why i have a hard time with this sometimes too.
Perhaps i should stop drinking in my garage. (whiskey arm)  :P

Current: 1978 CB750F3
Past: 1974 CB550K

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 09:32:51 pm »
porscheguy

you must have long arms    :D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 10:09:31 pm »
On mine the shaft rusted to the part it rotates on and the only way was to make it spin in the clamps. Very difficult to do. You might check that before you blame yourself.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 12:19:26 am »
My 650 lifts real easy but part of the secret for my bike is the rear crash bars which double as great right hand grips to pull back on in combination with a decent pull on the left handlebar, lean back and easy as.
Don't try this with bare feet or jandals (er flip flops). ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 05:54:05 am »
I'm gonna try as many of these tips as I can. Unfortunately some are contradictory (pulling up vs pulling back) but now I believe I can do it. I'll get a couple spotters out there, make a ramp too and try again. Bike is stock; tires, shocks, rail, so what you all describe should work for me too. Thanks. I always enjoy lively discussions like this because it usually ends up with me being able to complete the task I'm stuck on.

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 06:29:50 am »
Unfortunately some are contradictory (pulling up vs pulling back)

The motion I use is more pulling up (while pushing down with my foot) but there is some pulling back involved.  If I had to quantify it..... 80% up and 20% back. 

Good luck!
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.