Author Topic: DELRIN swingarm bushings  (Read 25118 times)

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
DELRIN swingarm bushings
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:34:23 am »
Here are some pics of the DELRIN swingarm bushings I made and after 8000+ miles of use.  The swingarm came off to get repainted, and the DELRIN busings were removed for cleaning and to sandblast the swingarm.  They were still nice and snug on the shaft, no signs of wear and no cracks.  Happy camper.  ;) 

Offline beta1042

• '76 CB750F
Re: DELRIN swingarm bushings
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:46:39 am »
Any more Delrin rod in stock?  ;D

Offline snowfighter2

• I really like Motorcycles, I guess that makes me an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 05:57:15 am »
Hey Steve! Any chance you can mass produce those delrin bushings, and sell me a set? I'm sure that others would agree.
Andrew
That which does not kill you, will give you some awesome scabs, which turn into some cool scars!
1975 CB750K5
1985 GS 450E
1981 CB650 Custom

Offline mfreimer11

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 08:11:54 pm »
Hey Steve! Any chance you can mass produce those delrin bushings, and sell me a set? I'm sure that others would agree.

And a bump! I'd buy a pair or two.
"Those are my principles and if you don't like them,. . well, I have others."  - - Julius Henry Marx

Offline Steve F

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 02:15:46 pm »
I wish I could make some for other folks, but that can't be....sorry

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 02:46:56 pm »
Why is that, Steve?

BTW I noticed in the current J&P catalog that they now offer delrin swingarm bushings for big twin Harleys.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline Steve F

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 03:34:17 pm »
Why is that, Steve?

BTW I noticed in the current J&P catalog that they now offer delrin swingarm bushings for big twin Harleys.

mystic_1
Wow, that's cool, I just thought that DELRIN would work because of its' toughness.  I can't make something like that without fear of getting fired.  The company is looking for ANY reason/excuse to let someone go.

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 06:49:44 pm »
I understand completely.

I did a double-take when I noticed the bushings in the catalog, and thought of this thread.

Here's a link to the online catalog, bushings are on the lower right corner of page 540.

http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2009HarleyCatalog/?section=11+Frames

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

Offline snowfighter2

• I really like Motorcycles, I guess that makes me an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:11:48 pm »
Yo Steve F,

I fully understand that you don't want to give the company any reason to cut you loose. I saw the ones for the Harleys. Maybe somebody will start making them for us old school guys.  There's your million dollar idea Steve!  you need to patent that thing! ;D ;D
Andrew
That which does not kill you, will give you some awesome scabs, which turn into some cool scars!
1975 CB750K5
1985 GS 450E
1981 CB650 Custom

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 11:28:52 pm »
did you turn those on a lathe at work? that's terrible, I want some too. I wonder if I could do that with this waterjet I run at my work?hum...

Offline tbpmusic

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 09:01:15 am »
Our friend Bob Franzke makes bronze swingarm bushings that should fit a lot of SOHC 4's.
He's at  franzke@attglobal.net, or http://www.CBXperformance.com

Direct replacement for all CB/CL450 (5-speeds), CB/CL360, CBX, 350F/400F/500F/550F, and a number of SOHC 750's - undoubtedly other models also, those are just the ones I know for sure.
Replace parts # 52109-283-300, 52108-300-300, 52108-457-300, 52108-333-003, blah, blah.....
If you have questions about fitmet, just ask Bob directly, he's a great guy.

A lengthy discussion is at http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=320&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Put them on and forget about them forever, they're virtually indestructible......

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:04:23 am by tbpmusic »
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"

Bill Lane
 '71 CB450 Mutant/ '75 CB200/ '81 CM200/ '71 C70M

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 08:25:22 am »
hondaman goes one step further and actually fits the axle to the bushing. I think the whole service is around a 100 bucks. seems like the best deal to me.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 07:13:49 pm »
Hmmnnn, Delrin eh? I think I've got a length of that stuff sitting beside my lathe...........  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 08:27:16 am »
Delrin, is very nice to machine..
 Not my choice though, I would use 660 Bronze or similar..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 08:37:12 am »
Delrin, is very nice to machine..
 Not my choice though, I would use 660 Bronze or similar..

Why, specifically?  Just curious.

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 08:46:24 am »
Bronze is tough, and as long as it is greased it will hold up under a lot of hard use, in this application..

I have done a few things in plastic for people where the "plastic suppliers" swore up & down, it would outlast the metal it was replacing.. only to not have that happen...

Delrin will probably work well, dont know for how long, but I wont try it..not if I got bronze on hand..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 08:49:44 am »
Yeah I guess the jury is still out on longevity.

Steve, let us know when you get to 30,000 miles on those :)

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

runutz698

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 09:53:31 pm »
Our friend Bob Franzke makes bronze swingarm bushings that should fit a lot of SOHC 4's.
He's at  franzke@attglobal.net, or http://www.CBXperformance.com

Direct replacement for all CB/CL450 (5-speeds), CB/CL360, CBX, 350F/400F/500F/550F, and a number of SOHC 750's - undoubtedly other models also, those are just the ones I know for sure.
Replace parts # 52109-283-300, 52108-300-300, 52108-457-300, 52108-333-003, blah, blah.....
If you have questions about fitmet, just ask Bob directly, he's a great guy.

A lengthy discussion is at http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=320&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Put them on and forget about them forever, they're virtually indestructible......

I have bronze bushes in my montesa, works really well. Just have to be careful what lube you use on the bronze to steel.

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 10:53:16 pm »
Are those bronze bushings "porous?" Brunswick uses "Oillite" bearings that are very porous and "soak up" oil. You don't want to use grease on them because it will clog the pores. Once the bushings are saturated with oil you never have to re-lube them.
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline tbpmusic

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 05:46:26 pm »
This from Bob Franzke, regarding lubricant for his bronze bushings.....

"For many uses, I use a blue wheel bearing grease from StaLube...but I'm sure
there're many other types of lubrication that will work just fine."

Bill Lane

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 06:43:52 pm »
I made a set of bushings when fitting a different swingarm on my '79 cb650.
Mainly to adapt to the smaller '79 swingarm bolt.
660? not too sure anymore.
It was a year or so ago.
Lotsa parts, lotsa materials....

"oillite" is simply a trademark name for a sintered metal bronze material.
The pores do help hold oil very well though.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

runutz698

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 06:02:42 pm »
Bronze bushes are good.  Some oils have detergents in them that will actually break the bronze down. Montesas have brass bushes in the gear box and require special lube as normal lube GL4 oils destroy's the bronze/Brass. :-)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 08:01:32 pm »
Oilite, sintered bronze bushing, porous structure, allows it too hold oil.. medium strength.
 Often used in applications that are never lubed or difficult to lube.

Bronze, usually machined from barstock, has higher strength, but requires lubrication.

....................................................................................
 Sintered is usually powdered netal compressed under high pressure into a mold, and maybe baked. Lower cost due to little or no machining, no waste.

..................................................................................

My concern with swingarms is if you do constant burnouts. (I do a lot), that the softer materials, will pound out sooner than bronze. For everyday riding, all three will work fine (3 being plastic, oilite, bronze..)
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline EBCB

• Earache Motorsports
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 03:35:52 pm »
If someone will supply me with the dimensions, I'll make a few sets out of delrin for those that want them. Can also make it from brass as well.

Eric

Offline Steve F

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 06:27:44 pm »
When I was making the DELRIN bushings, I found it necessary to "fine tune" the bore after they were pressed into the swingarm to properly fit the pivot rod so they weren't too tight.  I used an expanding reamer to get the final fit.  I'm sure that with a little experimenting, you could get the final bore figured out by final reaming, removing the bushing and measuring the difference.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 07:21:20 pm »
The Delrin 100 is about 2850 PSI strength, while the Delrin 500 is about 3300 PSI strength. These values are about the same as the original Zamac (composite metal-plastic powder) material Honda used in the K0 and K1 bikes. This was abandoned in the K2 (around June of 1972 or so) to become phenolic material (about 4500-5000 PSI), which remained until the end of 750 production.

In the 1990s, Honda changed the replacement bushings to be steel powdered composite. This makes the bushing-collar interface steel-on-steel, which is impossible to lube well: these usually rust together after just a few years and eat each other up.

Oilite bronze, even the cheapest version, is over 10,000 PSI strength, and comes with impregnated turbine oils that come to the surface if someone forgot to grease the arm and the bearing starts getting hot: this is an ideal bushing material for these bikes. Oilite (the inventors) make even harder versions of their 841 material: this is what I use on my Lifetime Warranty swingarm rebuilds.

During the 1980s, several aftermarket companies brought out SAE660 bronze and series 9000 bronze bushings for these bikes: this lasts a long time, too, if kept lubed (I went 80,000+ miles on mine). They are in the 6k to 9k PSI range of strength, which is almost as strong as the pivot collar itself. They are sensitive to lack of lube, though.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 07:33:34 pm »
The Delrin 100 is about 2850 PSI strength, while the Delrin 500 is about 3300 PSI strength. These values are about the same as the original Zamac (composite metal-plastic powder) material Honda used in the K0 and K1 bikes. This was abandoned in the K2 (around June of 1972 or so) to become phenolic material (about 4500-5000 PSI), which remained until the end of 750 production.

In the 1990s, Honda changed the replacement bushings to be steel powdered composite. This makes the bushing-collar interface steel-on-steel, which is impossible to lube well: these usually rust together after just a few years and eat each other up.

Oilite bronze, even the cheapest version, is over 10,000 PSI strength, and comes with impregnated turbine oils that come to the surface if someone forgot to grease the arm and the bearing starts getting hot: this is an ideal bushing material for these bikes. Oilite (the inventors) make even harder versions of their 841 material: this is what I use on my Lifetime Warranty swingarm rebuilds.

During the 1980s, several aftermarket companies brought out SAE660 bronze and series 9000 bronze bushings for these bikes: this lasts a long time, too, if kept lubed (I went 80,000+ miles on mine). They are in the 6k to 9k PSI range of strength, which is almost as strong as the pivot collar itself. They are sensitive to lack of lube, though.

One comment concerning the use of lube on the oillite bearings. NEVER grease them. Grease will clog the pores and render the oil capacity of the bushing itself useless. Heavy oil can be used.

Before I install them in a machine at work, I further saturate them. Simply grab the bushings with two fingers covering one end with your thumb. Fill bushing with oil to the brim, cover it with your finger and squeeze. You'll see oil come "through" the bushing. Wipe off the excess with a rag and install. I've found that this procedure makes them last MUCH longer in a low lubrication environment. :)
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 09:25:30 pm »

One comment concerning the use of lube on the oillite bearings. NEVER grease them. Grease will clog the pores and render the oil capacity of the bushing itself useless. Heavy oil can be used.

Before I install them in a machine at work, I further saturate them. Simply grab the bushings with two fingers covering one end with your thumb. Fill bushing with oil to the brim, cover it with your finger and squeeze. You'll see oil come "through" the bushing. Wipe off the excess with a rag and install. I've found that this procedure makes them last MUCH longer in a low lubrication environment. :)

The use of grease on Oilite is very common, but in slow-moving, high-pressure applications: the reason for using Oilite in those applications is to allow the oil to keep the grease liquified if the temperatures rise and the grease is hard. It's a "backup lube" mechanism in those instances. The engineers at Oilite were very helpful about this when I contacted them about this upgrade for these old swingarms.

If the Oilite bearing is supplying support in a faster-moving application (like a speeding shaft, or fan, for instance), then you're absolutely right: oil should be used and not grease.

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

cycleman

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 11:53:18 am »
Why not just upgrade the swing arm to needle bearings?  There is a kit out there to do this. A little more money than the bushing route, but not a lot.

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 12:54:14 pm »
Why not just upgrade the swing arm to needle bearings?  There is a kit out there to do this. A little more money than the bushing route, but not a lot.

There are a variety of reasons why some prefer bushings to bearings in this application.  Bushings are simpler, can tolerate higher loads, and wear more evenly in situations like this where there's little movement.

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 01:03:08 pm »

There are a variety of reasons why some prefer bushings to bearings in this application.  Bushings are simpler, can tolerate higher loads, and wear more evenly in situations like this where there's little movement.

mystic_1
When I first heard of the needle bearing kits years ago i thought they would be neat. But since then I've learned as Mystic says they aren't  really stronger, and they are susceptible to rusting up. The real upgrade is bronze bushing in my mind, with hondaMans attn to the grease pathways.  IMO
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 03:34:25 pm »
I installed one of those needle roller bearing kits in my F2 when I restored it, thinking that it'd be neat, but since then I've pulled a couple of Suzuki GS1000 swingarms apart (they were fitted with needle roller bearings from new) and I was horrified at the condition they were in, they were damaged way beyond servicable limits, and had to be replaced at a cost of $150.00 (they're not a standard size, so you gotta buy them from Suzuki) along with the pivot tube, all because the grease had been washed out over the years, and the bearings were just black rusted scrap.

I converted the second one to bronze bushes and machined down the pivot tube to suit, all up it cost me 20 bucks, and will probably last forever. I also replaced all the needle roller bearing pivots on my neighbors Suzuki RM250 motocross bike's rear suspension with bronze bushes, and it works fine, for a fraction of the cost. BMW use adjustable tapered roller bearings for their swingarms and they are the "ants pants", but impracticle unless you're building a whole new frame. Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2009, 06:17:20 am »

mystic_1
When I first heard of the needle bearing kits years ago i thought they would be neat. But since then I've learned as Mystic says they aren't  really stronger, and they are susceptible to rusting up. The real upgrade is bronze bushing in my mind, with hondaMans attn to the grease pathways.  IMO

As Terry also stated nedle bearings are.....ok IF  maintained properly.
I have seen needle bearings eat into hardened shafts in commercial applications.

If there is no full revolutions of the needle bearings (only partial revolutions as the swingarms do) you can't really fully use the potential of needle bearings.
They are nice. I've used them in a few personal project applications.
When given the ability to get a few full rev's out of them, and lubed properly, they are GREAT.

But for swingarms.... my money is on the bronze bushings for accessibility to material and longevity.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2009, 09:27:00 am »

mystic_1

As Terry also stated nedle bearings are.....ok IF  maintained properly.
I have seen needle bearings eat into hardened shafts in commercial applications.

If there is no full revolutions of the needle bearings (only partial revolutions as the swingarms do) you can't really fully use the potential of needle bearings.
They are nice. I've used them in a few personal project applications.
When given the ability to get a few full rev's out of them, and lubed properly, they are GREAT.

But for swingarms.... my money is on the bronze bushings for accessibility to material and longevity.

l8r

Roger that on the needle bearings: the Engineering manuals for those bearings state unequivocally that they are "not to be applied to reciprocating systems", meaning that if they don't rotate all the way around, they cannot spread the load nor lube. When Kawi first introduced these on their mid-70's bikes, they came with 4 needle cages on each shaft (two at each end) which are impossible to change out, let alone get apart, after about 20,000 miles (witness KZ650 and 750). The needles and cages get so distorted that the assembly slowly eats itself, it seems. Greasing slows it down, but again, the Engineering manuals point to "moderate pressure oil flow" as a proper lube for them, not grease.

Maybe the 750, with it's dry sump system, could reroute some of the returning oil to the tank through the swingarm?  ::)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:24:38 pm by HondaMan »

Offline tbpmusic

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 01:58:40 pm »
Maybe the 750, with it's dry sump system, could reroute some of the returning oil to the tank through the swingarm?  ::)

I think I had to work on one of those once !! >:( :( :o :o

Bill Lane

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 07:27:28 pm »

I think I had to work on one of those once !! >:( :( :o :o

In chopper circles, one popular Triumph mod was to route the oil return through the frame tubing instead of using visible hoses. A few of them actually worked: most leaked.

But then, they WERE Trumpets, which I think came from the factory with a big 2 quart pan that fit underneath the vertically-seamed cases while parked.  ;D

Offline mk2jettavr6

• Total Noob...
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 12:49:52 pm »
I have used DELRIN bushings on my turbo vw track car for years! I made some shiftkits for vws in a small quanity and sold them on a popular forum about 6 years ago and out of the 50 kits ive sold i never had 1 request for replacement bushings or any failures!
-Mark
75' CB750